Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

PAC 12 new Commissioner - MGM's George Kliavkoff

4 minutes ago, utenation said:

Give me one good reason UNLV would be a good add? We've already established that Las Vegas is a great footprint area for many things. But we don't need UNLV for that.

No one has to give you $hit.  You are nobody.

5 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

People told us we would never get invited to the WAC asshole.

That would be a good place to put your football, once they get that FCS thing going.  I'd imagine your BB team could finish in the top half, most seasons, as well.  

Do you think they would take UNLV?  Or will they aim higher when they add programs?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think they should dump the p12 network and get a good ESPN or Fox Sports deal.  

The PAC doesn't really have enough rabid fans to support a 'pay to view' type of network.   Causal PAC fans, like myself, end up watching other conference games because the PAC network just isn't worth paying for, even if it's not expensive.  

Here's the thing. In better TV markets with good P12 sports penetration like SLC and Oregon, it was free on most cable tiers. that was the plan. Without the numbers, that model has slipped. I now have to get it in a sports pack.  I'm ok with that because I'm a diehard but this seems like a deal ender for a casual fan. 

I really don't think the do it yourself model will work. So either dump it or try and get a real deal on the table. 

12 minutes ago, KayakArmada said:

Rob is completely right. 10 years ago we’d have been laughed at for even suggesting the NHL and NFL could land in Vegas. Now look where we’re at with discussions of MLB as well. These things only help the prestige of a city’s system of higher education. 

Really?  I always thought it would just be a matter of time. 

Wasn't there talk of the Rays moving there like 10 years ago?  And weren't there rumors of the Kings moving there as well?

ETA: IIRC, when people were saying Vegas would never get a pro team it was because of the gambling issue.  Then gambling spread and it was no longer an issue.

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think they should dump the p12 network and get a good ESPN or Fox Sports deal.  

The PAC doesn't really have enough rabid fans to support a 'pay to view' type of network.   Causal PAC fans, like myself, end up watching other conference games because the PAC network just isn't worth paying for, even if it's not expensive.  

this guy has a lot of media experience with Hulu, MLB and MGM. I like the P12 networks, but the 6 separate region channels was a mistake

6 minutes ago, utenation said:

And that's exactly what UNLV's resume looks like.  And why they will never be a P5 until a massive turn around in sports. 

Utah won 6 or less games 12 times in Football from 1980-2000.  Give it a break.

While BYU only had 2 years with six wins in the same time span.

WINNING DON'T MATTER

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Utah won 6 or less games 12 times in Football from 1980-2000.  Give me a break.

And that's why we weren't ever a consideration for a better conference. We had to get our shit together.  

Which is exactly where UNLV is right now. You have it backwards Rob. You think just because Vegas is neat that UNLV's performance issues don't matter. 

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

this guy has a lot of media experience with Hulu, MLB and MGM. I like the P12 networks, but the 6 separate region channels was a mistake

I think the concept was sound enough, but the execution was poor.  I think they'd be better off in trying to distribute P12N more nationally, then the local subchannels more regionally.

2 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Utah won 6 or less games 12 times in Football from 1980-2000.  Give me a break.

And UNLV was 16 times.  And 18 times since then.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

I just don't see the P12 expanding without UT and OU involved.

They likely have no choice at this point if they plan to survive.  Texas and OU aren't coming now, that window and opportunity has passed.

The PAC-12 is down in the dumps and without major changes soon they will be picked apart.

1 minute ago, BacksThePack said:

I think that's now 'Plan B.'

The current focus is trying to woo UNLV & NDSU into joining.  It's an all out blitz.

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

I think we don't see anything unless some type of super conference is formed.  Our TV contract is up for grabs. so timing could be everything. 

3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

They likely have no choice at this point if they plan to survive.  Texas and OU aren't coming now, that window and opportunity has passed.

The PAC-12 is down in the dumps and without major changes soon they will be picked apart.

Pac 12 won't be picked apart. They're on the coast and bordered by just the B12. B12 is in far more risk at being picked apart from all sides, ACC too. The only conferences in good shape are the SEC and B10.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

The PAC12 is in a bad time zone.  

I could see them expanding and adding Houston at some point.  Would give them the following:

1.  Big market in Texas.

2.  Engaged fanbase.

3.  New basketball arena, new football stadium.

4.  Rich booster.  #FertittaMoney

UNLV has number 3.   Needs 1, 2, and 4.

11 minutes ago, RSF said:

I think the concept was sound enough, but the execution was poor.  I think they'd be better off in trying to distribute P12N more nationally, then the local subchannels more regionally.

And UNLV was 16 times.  And 18 times since then.

Oregon State talked about shutting down their Football program at one point in the 1980's.  Look at their records before they got the branding of BCS or elite status.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oregon-state/index.html

Oregon State was garbage and couldn't out recruit Fresno or unr.  Branding and money helped change their fortunes in all sports.

Even the Oregon Ducks were a nobody before branding and money changed their fortunes.  Look at the records from 1960-1990.  How many times did they win more than six games???

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oregon/

Branding and money matter.  Anyone who believes $35 million extra dollars a year wouldn't improve UNLV football is delusional.

Las Vegas would sell out Football games for USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon etc. in a 60,000 seat Stadium on the Strip.

Guest #1Stunner

SMU could be a partner to Houston to the PAC12, but they are a religious school, so they are out.

Maybe that helps UNLV.