Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Inflation

17 hours ago, happycamper said:

sure, they receive value in return. as I receive value in paying taxes for unemployment payments. but both are "sitting on your ass not working" in terms of producing goods and services, just like me buying s&p 500 index funds is me sitting on my ass not working. 

but I'm not the one who said "why work when you can instead sit on your ass not working" as if the economy notices or cares the difference between me not producing goods and services while consuming them vs bob vs bob's imaginary lazy person

Why do you seem to believe that there's no real work involved in being a landlord?

This is where your argument fails.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Why do you seem to believe that there's no real work involved in being a landlord?

This is where your argument fails.

I don't. Just like there isn't a total loss in ui. But the entire point of passive income is to sit on your ass not working and that's the financial goal of every financially literate person lol

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

When the bill was passed, IMHO, it needed to be extended a little longer.  Not nearly as long as it was though.

They had to ere on the side of caution so they wouldn’t have to use another reconciliation bill to pass another relief package. IMO what they SHOULD have done from the beginning was tie the extra benefits to the unemployment rate so that the extra benefits gradually phase out as the unemployment rate falls. But, zero Republicans and most Dems would never support this so they decided to play this stupid ass game of “guess when the pandemic will end” every few months. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

It's not just construction costs. Prices are spiking across the board.

I'm pretty sure Maji is a very young dude. Probably isn't buying much stuff and hasn't been shopping around long enough to notice trends. But his Uber Eats delivery fee hasn't increased in a long time, so there's no way there's inflation :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

It's not just construction costs. Prices are spiking across the board. It's pretty worrisome.

That said, I'll wait for you to go find a graph off of twitter to post without context to tell me why I'm wrong though.

2005-2015 kinda warped my perception. there wasn't a hell of a lot of change of anything then, just education and modestly housing. 

now christ it's 5 bucks more per plate to eat out for the same old stuff. that shit is noticeable. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

As if there weren't enough supply issues with lumber already... 65,000 pounds of it caught fire in a pretty good crash in Boise this week. Made for a pretty fun 1.5 hour wait on the commute for me.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/traffic/fiery-crash-blocking-traffic-on-i-84-in-boise/277-d9d8f725-e13b-4c5a-9481-b749170023d3

2 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

As if there weren't enough supply issues with lumber already... 65,000 pounds of it caught fire in a pretty good crash in Boise this week. Made for a pretty fun 1.5 hour wait on the commute for me.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/traffic/fiery-crash-blocking-traffic-on-i-84-in-boise/277-d9d8f725-e13b-4c5a-9481-b749170023d3

man with that much lumber we could have built

1 additional house

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Pretty much.

The influencers he follows on Twitter tell him that everything is OK, so we're idiots for believing otherwise, apparently.

Reminds me of my kid. I try to impart knowledge to her that I learned by suffering through some hard knocks , but sometimes she just thinks I’m an old dad and my generation has nothing to teach the new generation.  Sometimes the young kids gotta figure it out on their own the hard way. 

4 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

That made me so mad. Took me so long to get to work 

21 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

That said, I'll wait for you to go find a graph off of twitter to post without context to tell me why I'm wrong though.

That's my favorite hobby.  CPI the same as it has been each of the last 3 years.

image.png.6556bd3345609e9e60d72a4cb5dd1438.png

GIF by Stickr

20 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Eating out is where it's hugely noticeable, you're right. Like that's crazy how that's spiked in recent times. But even things like used cars are surging, and other asset classes like art have gone batshit crazy.

used cars specifically are a large component of the statistical inflation spike this month.  Blame falls squarely on the semiconductor shortage tanking the supply of new cars iirc.

It's wild.  in 2011 you could get a 10 year old beater for like, 3k.  I picked up a 2001 buick and ran it until this past month.  Now a 2011 model with about the same mileage is between double and triple the price depending on how picky you wanna be about condition.

12 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

That made me so mad. Took me so long to get to work 

I was just past the Eagle off-ramp when traffic came to a stop. Took a while for traffic to be diverted and to clear out behind me before I could turn around and take the exit. Didn't realize the extent of damage unit I was coming back home around 1 or so and they only had managed to open up 1 lane westbound and eastbound was still closed

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Year over year comparing April 2020 (everyone shutdown) to April 2021 maybe could have some volatility?  Comparing year-to-year single data points seems pretty noisy and useless to me.  But I've never taken Econ 101 so I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

used cars specifically are a large component of the statistical inflation spike this month.  Blame falls squarely on the semiconductor shortage tanking the supply of new cars iirc.

It's wild.  in 2011 you could get a 10 year old beater for like, 3k.  I picked up a 2001 buick and ran it until this year.  Now a 2011 model with about the same mileage is between double and triple the price depending on how picky you wanna be about condition.

It's wild. Of course there's some big safety/tech upgrades from 2001 to 2011 that you have to pay for, but still...

We had to upgrade our 2004 Buick sedan over the weekend. We knew we'd spend a bit more since we were planning to upgrade to an SUV to fit our larger family, but it's crazy to see what prices are currently. With that said, our new-to-us Highlander is great! Expect it to last for another 200k!

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Year over year comparing April 2020 (everyone shutdown) to April 2021 maybe could have some volatility?  Comparing year-to-year single data points seems pretty noisy and useless to me.  But I've never taken Econ 101 so I could be wrong.

in a long term analysis it's noise but one thing economists tend to forget is that regardless of noise, people still have to pay for and notice those spikes more. 

Supplies are so tight in West Virginia they stopped burning couches and are just burning ottomans after victories...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.