Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Inflation

Just now, happycamper said:

You think there isn't a net loss of value with renting?

furthermore, you don't think that, oh, an entire rioting underclass isn't a gain of value? 

no, I'm not.  You construct a fantasy so you don't lump yourself in with the same behavior you are grump with.

No. I do no think there is a net loss of value in renting.  Rents are reflective of the value received in relation to what is being offered in a given market. If I rent a historic mansion on Warm Springs ave in Boise, as compared to a brand new double wide in Garden City I can expect to pay a ton more because the value I receive in exchange for the rent is much , much higher. Also the income producing value of the property has not diminished at all. 

I have no idea what you mean by a rioting underclass, or how that fits into this conversation. 

7 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You think there isn't a net loss of value with renting?

furthermore, you don't think that, oh, an entire rioting underclass isn't a gain of value? 

no, I'm not.  You construct a fantasy so you don't lump yourself in with the same behavior you are grump with.

I don't understand your issue. Do you believe being a "landlord" is somehow an evil occupation?

I'm a landlord, and sure as shit there's only one thing I'm seeking at the beginning of the month....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

No. I do no think there is a net loss of value in renting.  Rents are reflective of the value received in relation to what is being offered in a given market. If I rent a historic mansion on Warm Springs ave in Boise, as compared to a brand new double wide in Garden City I can expect to pay a ton more because the value I receive in exchange for the rent is much , much higher. Also the income producing value of the property has not diminished at all. 

born, rents last forever and are typically higher than the mortgage. That's a transfer of wealth from someone who is doing something (the renter) to the owner, who extracts value from his properties above what he expends on them. IT's rent seeking. Passive income means, sitting on your ass instead of working, and it's everyone in America's end goal except apparently when it's the help doing it. 

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

I have no idea what you mean by a rioting underclass, or how that fits into this conversation. 

what do you think happens without unemployment payments? How much value do you place on no civil war, or no burning police stations?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

I don't understand your issue. Do you believe being a "landlord" is somehow an evil occupation?

What? no, not at all. I just recognize that "sitting on your ass not working"  is everyone's goal. I mean shit I am contributing to my 401(k) for the expressed goal of sitting on my ass not working.  villifying it while being a landlord is hilarious in terms of not recognizing your own goals. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

born, rents last forever and are typically higher than the mortgage. That's a transfer of wealth from someone who is doing something (the renter) to the owner, who extracts value from his properties above what he expends on them. IT's rent seeking. Passive income means, sitting on your ass instead of working, and it's everyone in America's end goal except apparently when it's the help doing it. 

what do you think happens without unemployment payments? How much value do you place on no civil war, or no burning police stations?

You don't think the person who is paying the rent receives value in return? Would buildings and houses exist if there was no inherent value in them?  I own my own home now, but when I rented,  the roof over my families head was pretty damn valuable. If a manufacturing company leases an industrial warehouse where they produce goods , you don't think they receive value from paying the rent.  Paying rent is not a transfer of wealth, it is an exchange of value. Someone needs a building because it provides value, someone else has a building that is valuable and wants to exchange that value for income. 

Just now, bornontheblue said:

You don't think the person who is paying the rent receives value in return? Would buildings and houses exist if there was no inherent value in them?  I own my own home now, but when I rented,  the roof over my families head was pretty damn valuable. If a manufacturing company leases an industrial warehouse where they produce goods , you don't think they receive value from paying the rent.  Paying rent is not a transfer of wealth, it is an exchange of value. Someone needs a building because it provides value, someone else has a building that is valuable and wants to exchange that value for income. 

sure, they receive value in return. as I receive value in paying taxes for unemployment payments. but both are "sitting on your ass not working" in terms of producing goods and services, just like me buying s&p 500 index funds is me sitting on my ass not working. 

but I'm not the one who said "why work when you can instead sit on your ass not working" as if the economy notices or cares the difference between me not producing goods and services while consuming them vs bob vs bob's imaginary lazy person

11 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

On the bright side, I'll be able to pay off all my debt with relative ease...

100-trillion-zimbabwe-banknotes-2008-aa-

Not unless inflation gets so out of hand we are reduced to a system of bartering for trade, lol 

5 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Who would have guessed dumping an obscene amount of money into the system would have had inflationary pressures?

Especially when coupled with stifling supply in manufacturing and energy.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Im pretty sure one of my tenants, a millinial mormon couple think Im evil.

My sheriff deputy single mom on the other hand loves me, cause I dont raise her rent.  She is law enforcement and a low maintenance tenant is my justification.

15 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Im pretty sure one of my tenants, a millinial mormon couple think Im evil.

My sheriff deputy single mom on the other hand loves me, cause I dont raise her rent.  She is law enforcement and a low maintenance tenant is my justification.

Do you ever get single moms who are willing to pay the rent by exchanging alternate forms of value if you get my drift, lol. :)

5 hours ago, happycamper said:

bob you are literally a landlord buying investment properties to rent as your retirement plan why would you be mad that other people see that as a good idea too

Time for landlords to get a real job ;)

5 minutes ago, Maji said:

We don't really know that yet.

If I had a dollar for each time a fiscal conservative (or libertarian) falsely predicted hyperinflation, I'd be rich

If you don't think there is hyperinflation in construction right now you are an idiot.

48 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

If you don't think there is hyperinflation in construction right now you are an idiot.

That's not how this works. There's a reason CPI doesn't only track construction.

Get back to me when there's worrisome levels of sustained inflation. Perhaps it happens. As of now, it's too early to say that will happen