Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

OT: MLB to Vegas??

12 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

MLB has changed team divisions and leagues before.  I was talking to an Assssstro bandwagon fan awhile back and mentioned they used to be in the NL West.  Didn't believe me. 

Houston & Milwaukee switched leagues.........it's the spread out AL west that's in question 

NL west is tighter with Colorado, Arizona, SD, LA & SF..............AL west has three in Pacific time & two in TX central time ..........KC Royals used to be AL West in the old divisional setup, not sure they would want to go to AL West if A's end up farther east in Nashville or Charlotte 

Atlanta Braves were in the old NL west too which made zero sense 

6 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

That's a rookie league team in Hillsboro, Portland had AAA but didn't want to build them or the Timbers a new stadium, so took their stadium and retrofitted it for the Timbers and stopped halfway without building a new stadium for baseball.

They didn't show up for the AAA team they had.  It didn't get good support when they moved it to pendleton either. My inlaws are homesteaders from there and I go to these massive family gatherings there and no one cares about anything but the ducks or the blazers, not even OSU baseball.  They aren't going to support a major league team there in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Houston & Milwaukee switched leagues.........it's the spread out AL west that's in question 

NL west is tighter with Colorado, Arizona, SD, LA & SF..............AL west has three in Pacific time & two in TX central time ..........KC Royals used to be AL West in the old divisional setup, not sure they would want to go to AL West if A's end up farther east in Nashville or Charlotte 

Atlanta Braves were in the old NL west too which made zero sense 

And the Reds. The old NL west was the bomb.

55 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Portland couldn't support the minor league teams they had.  It's a city of transplants that just don't care about baseball.  They had to move the minor league teams outside of Portland to the farming/urban interchange like Hillsboro to get better support.  

Maybe they would care about an MLB team?  Probably not, that is the problem in AZ.  You'd have the same problem in Vegas but probably get more fans who are just there.  

I feel like most Western cities have this transplant issue.  

13 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Maybe they would care about an MLB team?  Probably not, that is the problem in AZ.  You'd have the same problem in Vegas but probably get more fans who are just there.  

I feel like most Western cities have this transplant issue.  

oh yeah.  Go to a rockies game this year and it's 50% opposing fans.

Problem is also is Oakland, they have been dragging their feet for a new stadium since the late 90s, A's have gone through three owners since this has started and Oakland continues to drag their feet. I seriously don't think Oakland wants the A's and very possibly a sports team in general. 

If you are battling with a city for 20+ years, jumped through every hoop they ask you and are still dragging their feet, I don't think they are that interested in keeping the A's and actually it was all written on the wall when the Raiders came back to Oakland. They couldn't do everything the Raiders wanted fast enough, I think that is when the A's knew they were going to get anything they wanted from stadium wise or anything else. 

I'm been an A's fan since I was a kid but I think its time to move on from Oakland. 

But with Manfred over the years has been dropping Portland, Charlotte and Nashville as locations a lot and now pumping in Montreal in there now. 

9 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

I grew up an Expos fan and would love a new team in Montreal, but I am not sure if there’s a market for it. Olympic stadium was pretty dead in the lead up to the move to DC. 

Where ever the A's try to go, a new ball park will be needed and a hurdle to clear - this won't be an instant move, but then neither was the Raiders relocation to LV 

They will need a new stadium and I think they were saying 2025 would be the goal to get one built but the other issue is that their lease with Oakland would expire before their new stadium is ready I think a year difference so they would have to find a place to play for a year before their new stadium opened.

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

They will need a new stadium and I think they were saying 2025 would be the goal to get one built but the other issue is that their lease with Oakland would expire before their new stadium is ready I think a year difference so they would have to find a place to play for a year before their new stadium opened.

Best new temporary stadium might be AAA LV Aviators ballpark which is only 3 years old - A's played two home series in LV at old Cashman Field back in 90's when Raiders were building that hideous addition to the Coliseum 

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Best new temporary stadium might be AAA LV Aviators ballpark which is only 3 years old - A's played two home series in LV at old Cashman Field back in 90's when Raiders were building that hideous addition to the Coliseum 

No, I remember them doing that but also scheduling especially in the minors is different now than before so that could be an issue as well when comes down to it. But it is just something else and if they don't chose to go to Vegas that will be an issue they need to tackle on their move. And also now they are building apartments over in that area now as well 

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

No, I remember them doing that but also scheduling especially in the minors is different now than before so that could be an issue as well when comes down to it. But it is just something else and if they don't chose to go to Vegas that will be an issue they need to tackle on their move. And also now they are building apartments over in that area now as well 

1996 - The Athletics open the season in Las Vegas since renovations to the Oakland Coliseum are still not finished. It is the first time since September 3, 1957 that major league teams have played in a minor league park.

if the A's do opt for LV.......then the AAA team probably moves to Fresno which got screwed in the minor league shuffle and has a pretty new AAA park ready to go........so no conflict between LV Aviators & A's ......that would make a good AAA to MLB tandem as it's a short flight between Fresno & LV 

https://skyway.pics/vegas/

050c82_9ea00fe55bec4808a641a9ba3982a908~

19 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

huge gaps between midwest & west - LV, Portland & SLC are the last viable western markets and they are all on the smaller side 

I wonder why SLC has been a serious consideration. 4 million people, family market, no competition. MLB should be well suited.

17 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

I wonder why SLC has been a serious consideration. 4 million people, family market, no competition. MLB should be well suited.

They wouldn't sell enough beer.....just kidding, I have no idea but you ask a very valid question.  If baseball can work in Denver, SLC shouldn't be much different I would think.  Climates can't be much different but I don't know a lot about SLC.  

59 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

The population of the SLC metro area is 1.2 million. (The entire population of Utah is 3.2 million people.)
Population of Portland metro area is 2.5 million. (Oregon is 4.2 million)
Population of Las Vegas metro area is 2.3 million. 

20 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

The population of the SLC metro area is 1.2 million. (The entire population of Utah is 3.2 million people.)

I'm still stumping for Sacramento...2.4 million metro pop.

21 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

I stand corrected, I thought they were a little over 4mil. 1.2 million would normally be marginal but that area is very family oriented and the weather is perfect for MLB. 

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I'm still stumping for Sacramento...2.4 million metro pop.

That would make much more sense for whatever is remaining of the fan base. Growing up in San Jose we drove 45 minutes each way to the A’s games which wasn’t too bad usually.