Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

OT: MLB to Vegas??

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/athletics-likely-leave-oakland-las-vegas-mlb-commissioner-says

Oakland may be out of professional sports teams sooner rather than later.

The future of the Athletics in Oakland has been in limbo for several years, but MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred thinks a new destination is on the horizon.

Manfred told Sirius XM that he's no longer optimistic they will remain in Oakland, and a move to Las Vegas is likely.

The A's and Oakland officials had been in discussions regarding a new stadium as part of the Howard Terminal project, but deadlines passed without progress. Because of this, negotiations for the project have been pushed to next year, which A's president Dave Kaval said would "all but doom our efforts" to stay in Oakland.

9C009DE0-A35E-48F6-BAC1-D872D102AFBB.webp

Its just saber rattling from Manfred who really should keep his mouth shut as he has Biden syndrome, open mouth insert foot. There are only two votes left to approve the stadium from the city council and from the county and everyone knew, including that dumbass face of the A's, the vote wasn't going to take place this year with an election year going on but should work to the A's advantage as two of teh council members who were lukewarm to the A's stadium idea won't be council members next year I believe.

For a person in charge of MLB he really is clueless about everything regarding baseball

On 10/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Its just saber rattling from Manfred who really should keep his mouth shut as he has Biden syndrome, open mouth insert foot. There are only two votes left to approve the stadium from the city council and from the county and everyone knew, including that dumbass face of the A's, the vote wasn't going to take place this year with an election year going on but should work to the A's advantage as two of teh council members who were lukewarm to the A's stadium idea won't be council members next year I believe.

For a person in charge of MLB he really is clueless about everything regarding baseball

2355B4BE-807A-4F43-8A25-92D7D7134C31.gif

Governor Sisolak and three Clark County Commissioners have recently once again said that no public money would be used to build a ballpark in Las Vegas for the A's and have told both the A's and MLB this. However did say they could help in other ways with infrastructure and other means but no public money for any possible stadium. 

On 11/7/2022 at 10:27 PM, wolfpack1 said:

Governor Sisolak and three Clark County Commissioners have recently once again said that no public money would be used to build a ballpark in Las Vegas for the A's and have told both the A's and MLB this. However did say they could help in other ways with infrastructure and other means but no public money for any possible stadium. 

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/sports/oakland-as-hopes-to-build-a-las-vegas-strip-ballpark-hit-a-wall

Las Vegas Strip's Major League Dreams Hit a Major Snag

Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak and Clark County commissioners are not offering the Oakland A's anything close to what the Raiders got to build a new stadium.

Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak has reportedly indicated to A's president Dave Kavak and Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred that the state has no desire to use public tax money to finance construction of a ballpark, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

“They still haven’t come up with a location that they’re going to move forward with,” Sisolak told the Review-Journal. “There are still talks with a couple and we’ll see what they will do. I think we’ll get down to details (once a site is chosen) but we’re not going to use public money to build another stadium.”

Clark County Commissioners Tick Segerblom and Michael Naft also said they will not support public funding for an Oakland A's ballpark. Without a commitment from state and/or county governments to provide public funding, the A's may soon begin talks to move the team to another community, an unnamed source told the Review-Journal.

Kaval and the A's did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A's Don't Have an Agreement for an Oakland Ballpark

Major League Baseball and the A's have said that a deal needs to be in place by the end of the year for the project to be completed in the near future. The A's lease at the RingCentral Coliseum runs through 2024, and MLB officials say the team needs to have a new ballpark plan in motion by then.

The A's have set their sights on the Las Vegas Strip and have been talking with Circus Circus owner Phil Ruffin about building a stadium at the Las Vegas festival grounds site adjacent to Circus Circus. Clark County, Nev., officials have said the festival grounds site is in a redevelopment area and could qualify for tax increment funding through a redevelopment authority. Whether such funding would be adequate without further public funding is not clear.

A second site that the A's are looking at for a ballpark is on Bally Corp's Tropicana Las Vegas property. This site is not within a redevelopment area, and if the A's are seeking public funding for this project, they seem to be out of luck dealing with the State of Nevada and Clark County officials.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, UNLV2001 said:

Good we don’t need that mess here. The whole Raiders/Allegiant deal was a viable business for many reasons. We have a ball club already better attended that the A’s and we really don’t need an MLB stadium in Vegas. 

On 11/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, quickdraw said:

Good we don’t need that mess here. The whole Raiders/Allegiant deal was a viable business for many reasons. We have a ball club already better attended that the A’s and we really don’t need an MLB stadium in Vegas. 

Always said, the 1st to make the move was going to benefit, just because Vegas needed a venue of size to hold events ......a MLB stadium could have held FB games just like the Texas Rangers stadium was designed for both, with lighting & TV accommodated 

Plus Sheldon Adelson started the stadium push which Raiders benefitted from because Adelson was trying to quash the LV Convention Center expansion project & tried to shift those $$ to a major stadium 

Now with Allegiant in place, any MLB or MLS will be a tough sell for any public funding ..........the two proposed NBA type arena's seem to both be private funded like T-Mobile was -- Question there is, how many arena's can LV support & book ?!?!

Vegas could have 4, 18,000+ seat arena's.........a 12,000 seat arena (MGM GG)........a 10,000 Arena (Mandalay Mich Ultra) ............a 8,000 seat arena (South Coast), .............a 5500 seat arena (DLC Henderson).........and that's not including the Southpoint Equestrian Arena 😲

And they are still working on Allegiant as well as that project isn't done with what they have invisioned it to be either.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Always said, the 1st to make the move was going to benefit, just because Vegas needed a venue of size to hold events ......a MLB stadium could have held FB games just like the Texas Rangers stadium was designed for both, with lighting & TV accommodated 

Plus Sheldon Adelson started the stadium push which Raiders benefitted from because Adelson was trying to quash the LV Convention Center expansion project & tried to shift those $$ to a major stadium 

Now with Allegiant in place, any MLB or MLS will be a tough sell for any public funding ..........the two proposed NBA type arena's seem to both be private funded like T-Mobile was -- Question there is, how many arena's can LV support & book ?!?!

Vegas could have 4, 18,000+ seat arena's.........a 12,000 seat arena (MGM GG)........a 10,000 Arena (Mandalay Mich Ultra) ............a 8,000 seat arena (South Coast), .............a 5500 seat arena (DLC Henderson).........and that's not including the Southpoint Equestrian Arena 😲

I think MLS should be careful about expanding to quickly as that could damage in itself but I could see MLS working there, they could play their games at Allegiant during the summer but also have to consider space and logistics as well

This is nearsighted IMO. Entire districts of many major cities in the US have been revitalized because of baseball. I lived in downtown Denver a few years after Coors field opened and that was awesome. San Diego. San Francisco. Wrigleyville. Coors Field. The list goes on. I think this would be the bigger get for Vegas — even bigger than football. It’s crazy to me how south beach in San Francisco went from the worst area in the city to a growing vibrant area with Oracle and the Chase Center as anchors and thousands of lofts, + bars and restaurants. 

On 1/11/2023 at 9:46 PM, quickdraw said:

Yeah reading all of that yesterday. A’s are trying to play both sides. I hope both cities bail on them.

The A's have been getting the short end of the stick in Oakland for decades....if any team deserves a nice, new stadium, it's the A's. And that's coming from someone who actively roots against them in a baseball capacity. 

Manfred: Oakland owner focusing on move to Las Vegas

PHOENIX — Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred says Oakland Athletics owner John Fisher has focused on Las Vegas of late as a new home for the franchise.

Manfred, speaking Wednesday at baseball's Cactus League media day, isn't closing the door on the team remaining in Oakland.

“I think Mr. Fisher wants to make the best deal to secure the future of the A's, whether it's in Oakland or in Las Vegas,” Manfred said. “They need a new stadium. I think that's kind of beyond debate.”

The A’s have played at the Coliseum since 1968, and their lease expires after the 2024 season. After withdrawing plans for ballparks in Fremont and San Jose, the team announced in November 2018 it had found a waterfront location for a new ballpark at Howard Terminal, close to the Jack London Square neighborhood.

But the Howard Terminal proposal has been stalled by money and concerns about affordable housing in the area.

“I don't think they are in agreement on the affordable housing issue,” Manfred said. “The threshold issue right now I think in Oakland is how to handle the funding for the infrastructure.”

The A's also have been working with funding issues when it comes to a possible ballpark in Las Vegas.

Oakland's uncertain future is one reason it had a major league-low payroll of $49 million last year.

The gap between baseball's big spenders and its small-market clubs prompted Cincinnati Reds President Phil Castellini to reportedly tell a supporters group in January that an increasing amount of clubs were out of contention on opening day.

“I think that most people who pay attention to our game realize that we do have a disparity issue in the game, both on the revenue side, and consequently on the ability to spend on players,” Manfred said when asked about Castellini's remarks.

“I think sometimes in markets that produces frustration that leads to what I regard to be unfortunate comments, not helpful.”

San Diego is considered a small market, but it has one of the majors' biggest payrolls after finalizing a $280 million, 11-year contract with Xander Bogaerts in December. Manfred praised Padres owner Peter Seidler for his investment in his club and said the Padres have gone from a revenue-sharing receiver to a team that pays.

“The trick for small markets has always been sustainability,” he said. “Hats off to Peter Seidler. He's made a massive financial commitment, personally, to making this all happen. The question becomes how long can you continue to do that, and what happens when you have to go through a rebuild."

On 2/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, quickdraw said:

Which will last longer, PH’s constant threads about all the great coaches breaking down our doors or the A’s jerking around trying to find someone willing to finance their future?

I'm surprised they didn't dump the Vegas idea when Sisolak publicly stated they weren't going to let them extort any public $$ like the Raiders did. Perhaps the new governor will bend over for them?

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png