Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

OT: MLB to Vegas??

1 hour ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I think this guy Mick Akers is on the A’s payroll.  He’s their constant mouthpiece as they try and drum up leverage. 

I can say that his newspaper the LV Review Journal is basically a cheer leading squad for the Raiders 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Oakland released the 13,000 page enviromential study and the planning commission will be voting next month whether to approve the plan with city council sometime in February but there are still things that have to be negotiated between the two sides and according to the report, could take up to 8 years to complete the project

Another step forward, the big one will be the formal votes to approve, then the lawsuits will come again unfortuately which I don't know if will delay it or not. However they are talking about it won't be finished until like 2029 or 30

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Another step forward, the big one will be the formal votes to approve, then the lawsuits will come again unfortuately which I don't know if will delay it or not. However they are talking about it won't be finished until like 2029 or 30

Crazy. Who knows how long all this will take. I’m a lifelong A’s fan and I’m just hoping to see a new stadium in Oakland before I die. :cheers:

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

6 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Looks like they're staying in Oakland. 

This is just the planning commission, which is like step one in any development process - Planning is more geared to the zoning, land use & peripherals ...........City Council will be the next hurdle & they are the ones with the purse strings, financing & all else.

That said, I hope the A's stay in Oakland.............as for LV, I'd much rather get an MLB expansion team than a relocated team 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

This is just the planning commission, which is like step one in any development process - Planning is more geared to the zoning, land use & peripherals ...........City Council will be the next hurdle & they are the ones with the purse strings, financing & all else.

That said, I hope the A's stay in Oakland.............as for LV, I'd much rather get an MLB expansion team than a relocated team 

If LV gets the A's, Oakland will probably feel about LV....well...the way Reno feels about Fort Collins. :D

2 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Crazy. Who knows how long all this will take. I’m a lifelong A’s fan and I’m just hoping to see a new stadium in Oakland before I die. :cheers:

Now I don't know if that is for the entire project or for the stadium with that time line, I am think possibly just the stadium. But they are starting to take steps on something that started in the early 90s

4 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Or this is just another in a long line of delaying tactics by Oakland?

It's just a positive vote by the planning commission - it's far from final or a done deal 

Meanwhile it seems the MLS is becoming more real  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/soccer/mls-expansion-team-in-las-vegas-step-closer-to-reality-2516474/

Score another one for Las Vegas.

Billionaires Wes Edens and Naseef Sawiris have entered into an exclusive negotiating agreement with Major League Soccer to move toward bringing an expansion team to Southern Nevada.

Pending final agreement, Las Vegas is poised to become home to the MLS’ 30th team, winning out over competing bids from Phoenix and San Diego. It is unclear when the team could potentially begin play in Las Vegas, but in December MLS Commissioner Don Garber said the 30th team would not begin play before 2023.

“As one of the world’s premier sports and entertainment markets with a fast-growing and diverse community, Las Vegas is the ideal home for an MLS expansion team,” Edens and Sawiris said in a statement.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, UNLV2001 said:

It's just a positive vote by the planning commission - it's far from final or a done deal 

Meanwhile it seems the MLS is becoming more real  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/soccer/mls-expansion-team-in-las-vegas-step-closer-to-reality-2516474/

Billionaires Wes Edens and Naseef Sawiris have entered into an exclusive negotiating agreement with Major League Soccer to move toward bringing an expansion team to Southern Nevada.

Pending final agreement, Las Vegas is poised to become home to the MLS’ 30th team, winning out over competing bids from Phoenix and San Diego. It is unclear when the team could potentially begin play in Las Vegas, but in December MLS Commissioner Don Garber said the 30th team would not begin play before 2023.

“As one of the world’s premier sports and entertainment markets with a fast-growing and diverse community, Las Vegas is the ideal home for an MLS expansion team,” Edens and Sawiris said in a statement.

Didn’t we hear from SDSU fans that an MLS team was going to share the new Aztec Stadium with SDSU?  Am I right on that? Was that part of the larger plan?  If so is this problematic for SDSU that San Diego didn’t get the expansion franchise? 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 minute ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Didn’t we hear from SDSU fans that an MLS team was going to share the new Aztec Stadium with SDSU?  Am I right on that? Was that part of the larger plan?  If so is this problematic for SDSU that San Diego didn’t get the expansion franchise? 

No.  A soccer franchise wanted to build the stadium and let SDSU play in it.  SDSU never needed a soccer franchise

On 1/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, UNLV2001 said:

We did it babe!