Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

OT: MLB to Vegas??

17 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Not to mention it's easier to fill up a stadium 8 times a year for football games that always occur on a weekend (especially given the proximity to LA and the Bay) than it is 81 games a year, not always on weekends.

Yeah, even hockey and the NBA, which both Portland and Vegas have proven they can support, have half as many games in arenas with half the capacity. Average 20,000 a night in hockey, and you can sign free agents all day long. Average 20,000 a night in baseball in a small TV market, and well, and you have to be 100 times smarter than the rich teams just to be competitive. No franchise understands that better than the A's and the Rays. 

4 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Average 20,000 a night in hockey, and you can sign free agents all day long. 

Wish that were true.  If it were, the Hawks would have a couple more Cups.  The NHL hard cap ensures that doesnt happen.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The other, more logical, way to say that statement is until Montreal’s team status is solidified there is no relocation or expansion happening.  

And if you want any new teams out west you should hope that the Rays don’t go to Montreal because mlb will put a second team in Florida before adding one anywhere out west.  

No, the way I stated it was fine.

As to the second part of your post, I do not care if any new teams come out west. I also do not care if the A’s relocate to a non-western city. Not sure why you were under the impression that was important to me. 

17 minutes ago, RSF said:

If that were true, the Hawks would have a couple more Cups.  The NHL hard cap ensures that doesnt happen.

True, but that wasn't my point. In baseball, with no hard cap, this stuff matters.

14 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Reno will likely be our AAA franchise.

I didn't say that Fresno would be the AAA affiliate for a Vegas team, just that Fresno would move back up.

As part of the move down from AAA to A, Fresno was promised by MLB it would be the highest considered city for a future AAA team placement in the west.

A move to Vegas (or Sacramento) by the A's bumps a western AAA team to a new city. Fresno could possibly be the AAA affiliate for the A's, or Giants, or Diamondbacks depending upon the shuffle that might occur.

23 minutes ago, Fowl said:

More fodder while posturing for a deal.  There is no chance they go to vegas unless they want their revenue to drop significantly.

wat. Moving to Vegas would drastically improve their situation. It doesn't get much worse than Oakland. They're currently ranked the 26th most valuable MLB franchise (out of 30 teams) If the A's wanted to catapult themselves to the top-10 most valuable MLB franchises they should move to Vegas.

Oakland Raiders went to the 30th most valuable franchise to the 12th most valuable by moving to Vegas....Most expensive tickets in NFL and it isn't even close. 

VGK are a Top-10 revenue NHL franchise and they're only 4 years old.

image.png.3f342f088626afe3f94781ccd9f7dd6f.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 5/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Joe from WY said:

God damn it. Honestly, if they move, that'll be 2 of my franchises who have done so in recent memory, and I'll probably cease watching professional sports entirely.

When that Georgia bitch moved the LA Rams to St. Louis because that’s where she’s from, it was devastating to me. Then St. Louis got rid of the yellow and used gold. I never pulled for the St Louis Jolie. I was always hoping they’d come back and they did. I still can’t believe it happened. It’s awesome. 

kat.jpg

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Vegas BB would require a removable roof and a stadium like AZ has. Vegas could support BB, but it’s the toughest sport because of so many seats to fill with so many games. 

Vegas is a big baseball town.  Aviators killin' it in attendance. Plenty of locals would get into it and plenty of out of town fans would plan their Vegas Summer vacations around their baseball team's road games there. 

Just make it no more than 40k seats and like you said retractable roof!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

If the A’s move to Las Vegas, I hope they change the name and come up with a completely different logo.  Otherwise, it feels like we’re just getting a used franchise.

Also, I feel like they could be much better here because they’d have deeper pocket books combined with the expertise of Billy “Moneyball” Beane.

4 hours ago, Rebels18 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Vegas is a big baseball town.  Aviators killin' it in attendance. Plenty of locals would get into it and plenty of out of town fans would plan their Vegas Summer vacations around their baseball team's road games there. 

Just make it no more than 40k seats and like you said retractable roof!

Who wants to take a Vegas summer vacation? 

16 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

If the A’s move to Las Vegas, I hope they change the name and come up with a completely different logo.  Otherwise, it feels like we’re just getting a used franchise.

Also, I feel like they could be much better here because they’d have deeper pocket books combined with the expertise of Billy “Moneyball” Beane.

Billy Beane stepped down last year. And the A’s would be the smallest market team in baseball. There would be no deep pockets.

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Billy Beane stepped down last year. And the A’s would be the smallest market team in baseball. There would be no deep pockets.

He the president of operations and a partial owner.  His influence will be there.

6 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He the president of operations and a partial owner.  His influence will be there.

He’s winding down with the A’s, and reportedly wants to try his hand at soccer. The only reason he’s still there now is because his deal with John Henry didn’t quite get done in the off-season. Ultimately, I don’t think Beane is around baseball beyond this year, or maybe next.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

A's is a historical baseball program.  No way should they change their names.  A move to the National League would make me happy but changing their name is a NO GO.  It would be like asking the Raiders to change their name, not gonna happen.  Plus, Las Vegas does not have a good history of choosing names for teams.  Golden Knights when we are in the Silver State?  Las Vegas 51ers???  Aviators for a baseball team???  Lets stick with the A's.  Everyone knows it already.

344799579_1200px-Oakland_As_logo.svg(1).png.5604b3342b1fb23707675c9810da4b84.png

12 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

wat. Moving to Vegas would drastically improve their situation. It doesn't get much worse than Oakland. They're currently ranked the 26th most valuable MLB franchise (out of 30 teams) If the A's wanted to catapult themselves to the top-10 most valuable MLB franchises they should move to Vegas.

Oakland Raiders went to the 30th most valuable franchise to the 12th most valuable by moving to Vegas....Most expensive tickets in NFL and it isn't even close. 

VGK are a Top-10 revenue NHL franchise and they're only 4 years old.

image.png.3f342f088626afe3f94781ccd9f7dd6f.png

Why is this a good thing? It just makes it harder and more expensive for locals to attend. This is why I think baseball is such an attractive situation. Locals could actually afford to attend a game.