Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

OT: MLB to Vegas??

16 minutes ago, Koji Vu said:

They must think it's good business to use hotel taxes to subsidize billionaires rather than using them for public spending. Good for them.

It might actually work since Vegas uses any angle it can to get visitors into the city.

LVCA allocated funds go to creating more tourist dollars. That $750 million investment will produce billions over the years. The stadium was a drop in the bucket in comparison to the $1 billion they dropped on the Convention Center Expansion project. Tourism dollars for more tourism creates more jobs, sales tax, property taxes, merchants, etc that creates public funds for everything else. You see many potholes in Vegas? No? Ok then. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

LVCA allocated funds go to creating more tourist dollars. That $750 million investment will produce billions over the years. The stadium was a drop in the bucket in comparison to the $1 billion they dropped on the Convention Center Expansion project. Tourism dollars for more tourism creates more jobs, sales tax, property taxes, merchants, etc that creates public funds for everything else. You see many potholes in Vegas? No? Ok then. 

With all the new hotel rooms in the coming years we will be able to build five stadiums if we want to.

We are about to go into the roaring 20's and Vegas is going to roar loudest!

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I'd absolutely love to see them come to Sacramento, when Arco Arena was first built the plan was to have the A's come along. They even started construction on a stadium that you can still see next to the Kings old arena:

image.png.2d890fefc89c38448386706dee10c9b8.png

Realistically though, it just won't happen. Sacramento just doesn't have the corporate money, we're a great baseball town and expanding the Rivercats Field next the river would be amazing. Vegas is a more realistic options, Portland seems unlikely but maybe Nike or someone will sponsor it. 

I also seem to recall that the A's handed over the South Bay market to the Giant's as a kind gesture when they were building their new stadium in SF. I'm sure the A's would love to move to San Jose, but the Giants are now forbidding them. 

Bingo.  The A's aren't going to Sac nor are they going to Vegas.  Folks need to understand how baseball teams make money.  There is a huge reliance on local businesses for ticket sales, suite rentals, signage, and promotional revenue.  It is their lifeblood.  In Sac it is government dominated and those types don't throw $4mm down for a sign in the stadium, a promotional hat night on a Saturday night, and a suite with 12 season tickets.  Sac couldn't get local businesses to help save the Kings.  Vegas doesn't have the corporates and they are already spread thin with the Raiders and Golden Knights.

They will not move out of the Bay Area.  There is far too much money there relative to any other option, even playing as a second fiddle.  Charlotte might be the only true other option.  Media market size matters a lot, too, and that is another reason why Vegas is out and Charlotte at #22 might be a long shot.  They are posturing for a deal. 

4 hours ago, utenation said:

I'd like to hear your theory is on why Cali, Vegas and Portland aren't options but BFE Canada is..

I'm really starting to think you have spent zero time out west.

History.  Everyone knows Montreal is first in line, have you been paying attention?  Vegas is the definition of bfe by the way.  Portland is too small without a lot of baseball interest compared to other areas. Cali doesn’t need explanation.  

5 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

History.  Everyone knows Montreal is first in line, have you been paying attention?  Vegas is the definition of bfe by the way.  Portland is too small without a lot of baseball interest compared to other areas. Cali doesn’t need explanation.  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/samson-montreal-isnt-one-step-closer-to-having-baseball-team/

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

It takes precipitation for potholes to form.  I can attest to the value of the hotel tax ( From Orlando) but it’s not a bottomless well.  It won’t get you as far as forecasts and predictions say and at some point the economists and accountants that are hired  during these negotiations for big projects will start limiting the percent of funding that can be drawn from that pot, usually private dollars will become a significant requirement.   It happens everywhere and given the area’s relatively limited economy I suspect credit will be maxed out soon if not already.

1 hour ago, crixus said:

I remember when there was talk of a new ballpark being built in downtown San Jose for the A's. The Giants complained to MLB claiming San Jose as their territory

1. A new San Jose downtown ballpark is obviously the best situation for a new A's home . But the SF Giants have the "rights" so they will never agree to let it happen. They want the competition to go away.

2. supposedly the A's Ok'd the rights to the Giants for Santa Clara county back  in 1992.... when the Giants were in danger of being sold and  moving to Tampa Bay  wow. As a "good will " gesture.

3. Not sure who would pay for a new Las Vegas domed and air conditioned ballpark. Anyone Online? Sheldon Adelson is dead.

4. The AAA ballpark Raley Field in Sacramento has a lower bowl that in major league standard. Intentional. They could put up a 2nd deck and A's could go there. Driving distance from E. bay too.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

46 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

1. A new San Jose downtown ballpark is obviously the best situation for a new A's home . But the SF Giants have the "rights" so they will never agree to let it happen. They want the competition to go away.

2. supposedly the A's Ok'd the rights to the Giants for Santa Clara county back  in 1992.... when the Giants were in danger of being sold and  moving to Tampa Bay  wow. As a "good will " gesture.

3. Not sure who would pay for a new Las Vegas domed and air conditioned ballpark. Anyone Online? Sheldon Adelson is dead.

4. The AAA ballpark Raley Field in Sacramento has a lower bowl that in major league standard. Intentional. They could put up a 2nd deck and A's could go there. Driving distance from E. bay too.

I already stated in my post (that you only quoted part of) that MLB sided with the Giants regarding the rights to San Jose. :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It takes precipitation for potholes to form.  I can attest to the value of the hotel tax ( From Orlando) but it’s not a bottomless well.  It won’t get you as far as forecasts and predictions say and at some point the economists and accountants that are hired  during these negotiations for big projects will start limiting the percent of funding that can be drawn from that pot, usually private dollars will become a significant requirement.   It happens everywhere and given the area’s relatively limited economy I suspect credit will be maxed out soon if not already.

yeah...thank you for the economic analysis, random wage slave on the internet. I'll forward it to the vegas chamber of commerce asap..lol We'll be just fine. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

17 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

The A’s are the last thing of any value in Oakland. They let them go and that town will turn into the biggest shit hole in America. 

Oakland will turn into Reno? 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

11 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Please be Portland!  This would bring my Twins to another Pacific Northwest market where I can easily drive to the games.

I enjoyed the Netflix documentary on Portland Baseball. It would be cool if they can name it the Portland Mavericks. 

the-battered-bastards-of-baseball.jpg?w=