Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

OT: MLB to Vegas??

3 minutes ago, utenation said:

SLC metro population in SL county is about 1.5 Mill. But our geography is condensed between mountain ranges and The Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake. So really we have a long blob of population in three-four counties that really could be considered one big metro stretching about 100 miles. There is no vacant spots when driving through the entire Wasatch Front which has about 2.4 Million.  

So if you want to compare that to Vegas' population it's close. 

Utah Population Density - AtlasBig.com

That's the way I see it, the entire Wasatch front string from Spanish Fork up to Ogden - That's a good 100 miles of pretty solid urban area 

2 hours ago, utenation said:

So what's the problem with Oakland? They just don't want to shell out any cash or breaks for new or updated stadiums.  I definitely like the Portland idea though.

A’s ownership wants to build it privately financed. No public funds at all and the city is still balking. Hope the a’s bolt. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

SF Giants had to do the same thing in SF to get the city to work with them 25 years ago.  They had another owner and the sale lined up and everything, they were moving to North Carolina. Never happened. 

It’s time for the A’s to do this now also (now that they’ve broken from the Raiders and the Coliseum). Oakland has said that the one team they were committed to were the A’s, so it’s put up or shut up time. I don’t see the A’s leaving, it’s all part of a political/business game.  Leverage. Posturing....but ramping it up.  The A’s are set to build their own park, just need the city to work with them on the land at Howard Terminal.  It will get done.  Pressure being applied by MLB also helps and is a good thing. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

SF Giants had to do the same thing in SF to get the city to work with them 25 years ago.  They had another owner and the sale lined up and everything, they were moving to North Carolina. Never happened. 

It’s time for the A’s to do this now also. Oakland has said that the one team they were committed to were the A’s, so it’s put up or shut up time. I don’t see the A’s leaving, it’s all part of a political/business game.  Posturing....but ramping it up.  The A’s are set to build their own park, just need the city to work with them on the land at Howard Terminal.  It will get done. 

It was actually Tampa Bay they were going to be moving to, but yeah. Then the owners voted to block the sale.

I'd absolutely love to see them come to Sacramento, when Arco Arena was first built the plan was to have the A's come along. They even started construction on a stadium that you can still see next to the Kings old arena:

image.png.2d890fefc89c38448386706dee10c9b8.png

Realistically though, it just won't happen. Sacramento just doesn't have the corporate money, we're a great baseball town and expanding the Rivercats Field next the river would be amazing. Vegas is a more realistic options, Portland seems unlikely but maybe Nike or someone will sponsor it. 

I also seem to recall that the A's handed over the South Bay market to the Giant's as a kind gesture when they were building their new stadium in SF. I'm sure the A's would love to move to San Jose, but the Giants are now forbidding them. 

46 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I doubt any mlb team is moving to California.  I doubt Portland or even Vegas are realistic options either.  

Montreal is by far the most likely candidate then they will look to the southeast.

ummm...last I looked, they're already in California :shrug:

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I agree about Portland. I don't think Vegas can support another pro franchise. If they leave, they should move to Sacramento.

This is probably the right answer though.

I would probably agree with you about Las Vegas, but I suspect that they would get a lot of Las Vegas "road trip" fans from the opposing teams, which would help their attendance.   Plus, the tourists might go. 

At least that's what I've heard benefits the Las Vegas Gold Knights so much.

Portland, I'm not sure that they care about Sports that much anymore.  Portland dumped their Triple A baseball not too long ago.  Maybe Nike (out of Beaverton) could make it happen?

What about the Athletics moving to San Jose? 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Might be able to dome the Summerlin Ballpark, but there's almost no way to increase seating - It's a tight site with little wiggle room - The LF wall is right up against the VGK HQ building 

image.png

I would think that they would want to put any MLB team right by the Las Vegas Strip.   Summerlin is probably too far away to attract tourists. 

1 hour ago, utenation said:

Isn't the Vegas Metro about 2.7 mill and Sacramento Metro about 2.1 mill in 2021?

According to the 2019 estimate Sacramento has 2.363 million and Las Vegas has 2.266

And as of 2021 Sacramento's TV market is the 20th largest and has 1.45 million homes, while Vegas is the 40th largest market with .833 million homes. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, utenation said:

I don't think SLC is a good market for MLB. We still have too many LDS hoity-toity types that wouldn't like the Sunday thing.  SLC is growing fast and becoming more diverse each year.  So I'd say maybe in 10 years.

We have a decent AAA team here but most people just like to get out to the park. Average crowds. Cheap beer night etc.. Some sellouts in a 15K park.. No diehards here. And pulling in 30-50K each game would be a chore.

image.jpeg.c8f397fce3ce6605ac6c5798c52cdd05.jpeg

Generally I agree that SLC probably can't / won't support MLB at this time.... 

The statistic depicts the average attendance at Major League Baseball games from 2009 to 2020. In the 2019 season, the average attendance at the games in Major League Baseball was 28,317

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I would think that they would want to put any MLB team right by the Las Vegas Strip.   Summerlin is probably too far away to attract tourists. 

Fully agree with this - plus the strip is more central in the overall area - Can count on a decent % of attendance to be visitors 

17 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Would be hilarious if the raiders left Oakland just to have to share their stadium with the A’s again.

As a Raider fan that HATED sharing the coliseum with the A’s this was my face reading your post:

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

13 minutes ago, bigd said:

According to the 2019 estimate Sacramento has 2.363 million and Las Vegas has 2.266

And as of 2021 Sacramento's TV market is the 20th largest and has 1.45 million homes, while Vegas is the 40th largest market with .833 million homes. 

Vegas is an isolated market with not much around it, that's why it ranks lower even though it's roughly similar to Sacramento - Think Sac gets TV eyes from north to Oregon, into Mountains and south towards Fresno.................Vegas has very little in NV to the north, maybe catches some of SW Utah and NW AZ, & there's nothing in CA except for Needles on the CA/AZ/NV border to the south .going SW, the LV market line runs into the LA line probably just outside Barstow.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

They can't. The Giants own the territorial rights to the South Bay.

Vegas is bordering on oversaturated. Plus it's a tiny media market, relatively speaking.

Wow...

Looks like they really only Las Vegas or Portland is in play....  I guess they could also do Vancouver Canada.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-generating-buzz-as-oakland-as-contemplate-move

14 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They can't. The Giants own the territorial rights to the South Bay.

Vegas is bordering on oversaturated. Plus it's a tiny media market, relatively speaking.

Giants & A's claim the LV TV market as theirs, as does Dodgers, Angels, Padres & D-backs 

We have blackout on 6 MLB teams in the Vegas market - But we get Padres on local COX YUR-View, get Angels on their regional cable feed and get D-backs on their regional cable feed........Can't get Dodgers, Giants or A's hardly at all unless they play the three teams that get pumped into the LV cable