Jump to content
WYO1016

Colt Brennan Has Passed

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, trvitmvnz said:

I believe it came down to a 4th & 1 and Johnson got the 1st to seal the deal 

 

And, without the special teams exploits of one Orlando Scandrick and going +2 in turnovers, we lose that game.

That was a heavy weight brawl, tell you what.  Hawaii had early season road struggles that year but once they started clicking...shiiiiiiit.  Damn fine, damn fine team.  Boise came away lucky.

Colt, a warrior in every sense of the word.

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

At 5'9, 245 that is an apt description.  He was the most valuable player on the Hawaii team after Colt and the biggest reason why 2007 Hawaii was not as good as 2006 (losing their elite pass Rusher and a few other key pieces on D, too).  

Look at this big boi move.  Softest hands ever, too.

 

Yup. That's the guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yup. That's the guy.

Yeah, never got a fair shot at the pros IMHO.  A 7th round draft pick due to 40 time but he lacked initial burst, so of COURSE his 40 time will be low.  His speed and momentum picked up in space.  His acceleration between yards 8 and 15 was WR level.  He had injury issues as well after getting waived.

If used right and with the right fit I have 0 doubt he would have produced in the NFL, as a change of pace backup if nothing else.  He gave Boise more problems than a fresh legged Adrian Peterson, one of the top 5 RB's of all time, and the most physically gifted of all time.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, never got a fair shot at the pros IMHO.  A 7th round draft pick due to 40 time but he lacked initial burst, so of COURSE his 40 time will be low.  His speed and momentum picked up in space.  His acceleration between yards 8 and 15 was WR level.  He had injury issues as well after getting waived.

If used right and with the right fit I have 0 doubt he would have produced in the NFL, as a change of pace backup if nothing else.  He gave Boise more problems than a fresh legged Adrian Peterson, one of the top 5 RB's of all time, and the most physically gifted of all time.

 

 

A guy like that was murder on defenses in the RNS and IMO the player who really made the RNS go.  Short but so big and strong he was really hard to tackle one on one.  Defenses had to pick their poison - put six in the box and play one high safety leaving the WR's manned up or cover 3, or play two high with five in the box and hope someone gets off of a block or a safety is able to come down and tackle the guy one on one.

Sad deal about Brennan.  I feel for his family, particularly his parents. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 7:08 PM, Fowl said:

A guy like that was murder on defenses in the RNS and IMO the player who really made the RNS go.  Short but so big and strong he was really hard to tackle one on one.  Defenses had to pick their poison - put six in the box and play one high safety leaving the WR's manned up or cover 3, or play two high with five in the box and hope someone gets off of a block or a safety is able to come down and tackle the guy one on one.

Sad deal about Brennan.  I feel for his family, particularly his parents. 

Also ad in the fact you are in nickel or dime all game because of the RNS and you end up with a bowling ball rolling over a bunch of skinny pins.  Unstoppable.  Dude was great in that scheme. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummed to hear about this. I was super pumped when Hawaii went to the BCS Bowl in '07. Back to back BCS bowl appearances (we were looking DOWN on the MW during that time!) but the Warriors ended up getting a raw deal. The committee should have put USC against Georgia, and Hawaii against Illinois in the BCS that year. And, everyone complains about how bad Hawaii got beat by Georgia, but no one ever mentions the beat down Illinois got from USC in their BCS bowl game, which was even WORSE....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

He passed up being a first round pick to stay for his senior years, costing himself millions.

Him and those like 270lb running backs were so much fun to watch in that offense. 

Dude, this...

Man, those days were SO MUCH fun!!

You gotta give it up to any QB who gets a big win on us....

Have to...

Look at that stadium - rocking!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry to hear this, condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

But I can't believe he was already 37 years old, it seems like yesterday.. Way too young.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

I think he was the best QB the WAC ever had.

Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, Stoney Case, and Dee Dowis may disagree.  I would even argue that Timmy Chang may have been better than Colt had he had that supporting cast. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kalua pig said:

i hear he o.d.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31427087/ex-hawaii-record-setting-qb-colt-brennan-dead-37?platform=amp

Quote

Terry Brennan said his son had ingested something laced with fentanyl and never regained consciousness.

Only hours earlier, Colt Brennan had tried to enter a detox program at an area hospital, but he was turned away because there were no beds available.

"He was really into it," Terry Brennan said of the treatment program. "It involved a lot of physical activity and he liked it. He was working with soldiers who had come back from Afghanistan and Iraq with similar problems. He was doing quite well with it for four months. Then something happened and he went to the dark side, and it was just not good."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re all a little in shock over here.  Colt was beloved not only for his on-field achievements and elevation of the UH football program but also for his genuine embrace of the culture and people of the Islands.  He’ll always be remembered as a keiki o ka 'aina.

Unfortunately Colt was never the same after that horrendous auto accident on the Big Island.  Pain is a terrible thing that can drive even the best of us to dark and difficult places.  May he rest in peace.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B_Lootz said:

Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, Stoney Case, and Dee Dowis may disagree.  I would even argue that Timmy Chang may have been better than Colt had he had that supporting cast. 

It’s arguable whether he was the best but I don’t think there’s any question he was the most accurate.  In over 50 years of watching football I’ve never seen a quarterback who could place a ball as precisely as Colt, not only on short passes but anywhere on the field.  The statistics bear that out as he still holds the NCAA career record for completion percentage.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.b375f1fd50e1dab421b963d89e8d39d4.png

CBB posted this tribute to Colt.  Hang in their Coach! May God help you and yours in this tough time.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...