Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WYO1016

Colt Brennan Has Passed

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

At 5'9, 245 that is an apt description.  He was the most valuable player on the Hawaii team after Colt and the biggest reason why 2007 Hawaii was not as good as 2006 (losing their elite pass Rusher and a few other key pieces on D, too).  

Look at this big boi move.  Softest hands ever, too.

Yup. That's the guy.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Yup. That's the guy.

Yeah, never got a fair shot at the pros IMHO.  A 7th round draft pick due to 40 time but he lacked initial burst, so of COURSE his 40 time will be low.  His speed and momentum picked up in space.  His acceleration between yards 8 and 15 was WR level.  He had injury issues as well after getting waived.

If used right and with the right fit I have 0 doubt he would have produced in the NFL, as a change of pace backup if nothing else.  He gave Boise more problems than a fresh legged Adrian Peterson, one of the top 5 RB's of all time, and the most physically gifted of all time.

31 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, never got a fair shot at the pros IMHO.  A 7th round draft pick due to 40 time but he lacked initial burst, so of COURSE his 40 time will be low.  His speed and momentum picked up in space.  His acceleration between yards 8 and 15 was WR level.  He had injury issues as well after getting waived.

If used right and with the right fit I have 0 doubt he would have produced in the NFL, as a change of pace backup if nothing else.  He gave Boise more problems than a fresh legged Adrian Peterson, one of the top 5 RB's of all time, and the most physically gifted of all time.

A guy like that was murder on defenses in the RNS and IMO the player who really made the RNS go.  Short but so big and strong he was really hard to tackle one on one.  Defenses had to pick their poison - put six in the box and play one high safety leaving the WR's manned up or cover 3, or play two high with five in the box and hope someone gets off of a block or a safety is able to come down and tackle the guy one on one.

Sad deal about Brennan.  I feel for his family, particularly his parents. 

On 5/11/2021 at 7:08 PM, Fowl said:

A guy like that was murder on defenses in the RNS and IMO the player who really made the RNS go.  Short but so big and strong he was really hard to tackle one on one.  Defenses had to pick their poison - put six in the box and play one high safety leaving the WR's manned up or cover 3, or play two high with five in the box and hope someone gets off of a block or a safety is able to come down and tackle the guy one on one.

Sad deal about Brennan.  I feel for his family, particularly his parents. 

Also ad in the fact you are in nickel or dime all game because of the RNS and you end up with a bowling ball rolling over a bunch of skinny pins.  Unstoppable.  Dude was great in that scheme. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

14 hours ago, goboroot said:

Nice Tribute

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Bummed to hear about this. I was super pumped when Hawaii went to the BCS Bowl in '07. Back to back BCS bowl appearances (we were looking DOWN on the MW during that time!) but the Warriors ended up getting a raw deal. The committee should have put USC against Georgia, and Hawaii against Illinois in the BCS that year. And, everyone complains about how bad Hawaii got beat by Georgia, but no one ever mentions the beat down Illinois got from USC in their BCS bowl game, which was even WORSE....

1MXnKMV.jpg

2 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

He passed up being a first round pick to stay for his senior years, costing himself millions.

Him and those like 270lb running backs were so much fun to watch in that offense. 

Dude, this...

Man, those days were SO MUCH fun!!

You gotta give it up to any QB who gets a big win on us....

Have to...

Look at that stadium - rocking!

New-Signature.jpg

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

I think he was the best QB the WAC ever had.

Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, Stoney Case, and Dee Dowis may disagree.  I would even argue that Timmy Chang may have been better than Colt had he had that supporting cast. 

7 hours ago, kalua pig said:

i hear he o.d.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31427087/ex-hawaii-record-setting-qb-colt-brennan-dead-37?platform=amp

Terry Brennan said his son had ingested something laced with fentanyl and never regained consciousness.

Only hours earlier, Colt Brennan had tried to enter a detox program at an area hospital, but he was turned away because there were no beds available.

"He was really into it," Terry Brennan said of the treatment program. "It involved a lot of physical activity and he liked it. He was working with soldiers who had come back from Afghanistan and Iraq with similar problems. He was doing quite well with it for four months. Then something happened and he went to the dark side, and it was just not good."

We’re all a little in shock over here.  Colt was beloved not only for his on-field achievements and elevation of the UH football program but also for his genuine embrace of the culture and people of the Islands.  He’ll always be remembered as a keiki o ka 'aina.

Unfortunately Colt was never the same after that horrendous auto accident on the Big Island.  Pain is a terrible thing that can drive even the best of us to dark and difficult places.  May he rest in peace.

1 hour ago, B_Lootz said:

Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, Stoney Case, and Dee Dowis may disagree.  I would even argue that Timmy Chang may have been better than Colt had he had that supporting cast. 

It’s arguable whether he was the best but I don’t think there’s any question he was the most accurate.  In over 50 years of watching football I’ve never seen a quarterback who could place a ball as precisely as Colt, not only on short passes but anywhere on the field.  The statistics bear that out as he still holds the NCAA career record for completion percentage.

image.png.b375f1fd50e1dab421b963d89e8d39d4.png

CBB posted this tribute to Colt.  Hang in their Coach! May God help you and yours in this tough time.

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

11 hours ago, B_Lootz said:

In no ways was Chang ever better than Colt. Rolovich and Moniz was better then Chang 

Related image