Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Jazz Break

35 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

This is some good shit. I'm adding it to the playlist. 

Zero 7 is good shit. I've been enjoying this album for the past 20 or so years of my life. Enjoy brotha.

57 minutes ago, Maji said:

How come?

Ella made her fame on scat singing but Anita O'Day invented it (and a much more melodic version of it) almost a decade before Ella. Ella continued to claim it as hers until her death. Ella also lost much of her voice quality in the last 15 years of her career. 

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Jazz...all fingers and no brains.

*runs and hides.

The Bill Evans trio stuff from the early 60s suggests otherwise. Just three dudes having a conversation with instruments. And very listenable. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

16 hours ago, 1066 said:

So who is the greatest female jazz singer?

I reject Ella out of hand but these are my choices:

1. Anita O'Day

2. Sarah Vaughn

3. Carmen McRae

4. Lady Day must be on the list

5. Dinah Washington

Amongst the more recent singers:

1. Karen Souza

2. Sarah Menescal

3.  Eve St. Jones

4. Cassandra Beck

5. Stacy Kent is very good but she is almost 50 and therefore not so recent

Surprised you dont have Billie holiday on there. I dont like her, but she's probably the consensus choice. A lot of her peers really respected her, too.

Edit: Oops... saw lady day. Nm.

My choice is Sarah Vaughn 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

First piece of jazz I ever listened to, The Pink Panther intro/theme song. I was like five years old. Whoa. I have been listening to jazz waaaay longer than I thought.

If we're going to do Air and Tycho, then we should include the greatest piece of ambient electronic music of all time.

I always thought ambient electronica was the philosophical legacy of jazz.

16 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

If we're going to do Air and Tycho, then we should include the greatest piece of ambient electronic music of all time.

I always thought ambient electronica was the philosophical legacy of jazz.

Oooh, look at me. I'm a fancy doctoral candidate. Too sophisticated to call it anything other an ambient electronica. 

Call it acid jazz, bitch! Like the rest of us unedumakated peons!!

:P:D

7 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Oooh, look at me. I'm a fancy doctoral candidate. Too sophisticated to call it anything other an ambient electronica. 

Call it acid jazz, bitch! Like the rest of us unedumakated peons!!

:P:D

Call it acid jazz if you want. I just never saw air or tycho referred to is that way though. I dont think they have much improvisation in their music if any. And a lot of it is recorded by one or two guys on machines. 

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Call it acid jazz if you want. I just never saw air or tycho referred to is that way though. I dont think they have much improvisation in their music if any. And a lot of it is recorded by one or two guys on machines. 

Lol.

just kidding jk GIF

After the shitty morning I've had;

9 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Lol.

just kidding jk GIF

I'm very serious about my intelligent dance music. Very serious. 

31 minutes ago, crixus said:

I got to see Herbie Hancock at the Mondavi Center at UCD when I was a student there... one of the first years it was open. I'm not keen on his more contemporary stuff, but watching that guy in person was still pretty great. Roy Hargrove was also in the band when I saw HH. That guy could blow, man. Reminded me a lot of Lee Morgan.

I forgot about this song until I was listening to Bjork while doing some work today. Not jazz, but big band.