Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Jazz Break

Another good miles davis album. Used to be very difficult to find in the us. Soundtrack to a french noir film.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I really like Diana Krall. Got to say the opening of this song sounds a lot like a mellower version of this...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Sorry guys. This one is better. All love and respect to the men on that stage that night. 

Fun fact. I got to play with a player named Mike Vax who did an album with Clark Terry (one of the trumpeters on this track) once. Nice man. Very good player. I had no business being in the room with him. Had a lot of nice things to say about Chuck Mangione. 

6 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Sorry guys. This one is better. All love and respect to the men on that stage that night. 

Fun fact. I got to play with a player named Mike Vax who did an album with Clark Terry (one of the trumpeters on this track) once. Nice man. Very good player. I had no business being in the room with him. Had a lot of nice things to say about Chuck Mangione. 

I bought Feels So Good and Children of Sanchez when they both first came out in the seventies. Still have them but the music hasn't aged well IMO.  Big Dinah Washington fan though. This one is damn good.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

The first album of any kind that I bought was Cannonball Adderley's Jump For Joy. My favorite song on the LP is "Two Left Feet". 

Here's one for @AztecSU@TheSanDiegan & @Old_SD_Dude. Jazz vocalist, Gregory Porter is a former Aztec fb player.

Here's one I like to play every Dec. 31.

Time to drop some acid...jazz.

So who is the greatest female jazz singer?

I reject Ella out of hand but these are my choices:

1. Anita O'Day

2. Sarah Vaughn

3. Carmen McRae

4. Lady Day must be on the list

5. Dinah Washington

Amongst the more recent singers:

1. Karen Souza

2. Sarah Menescal

3.  Eve St. Jones

4. Cassandra Beck

5. Stacy Kent is very good but she is almost 50 and therefore not so recent

25 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Time to drop some acid...jazz.

This is some good shit. I'm adding it to the playlist. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg