Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

Jazz Break

Favorite piece of recorded music of all time. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Greatest guitarist to ever live

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

A great album, even if it's not either of them at their peak

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Great cut from an underrated miles Davis album

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Cool track I came across a while ago.

58 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Personal favorite from Miles

Miles Davis had a reputation for being a diva and a downright asshole, but nobody can deny his talent and the amount of jazz legends he shared the studio with. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, David Sanborn, and Herbie Hancock all inspired me to get into playing music. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 minute ago, ridgeview2 said:

Miles Davis had a reputation for being a diva and a downright asshole, but nobody can deny his talent and the amount of jazz legends he shared the studio with. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, David Sanborn, and Herbie Hancock all inspired me to get into playing music. 

His autobiography is great. He talks shit about a lot of legends.

Miles never had the chops of guys like dizzy and bird, but he understood music in a way that few of his peers did. He is my favorite trumpeter hands down.

Probably would've been the greatest to ever live if he didnt die at 25.

Speaking of...

Off of one of my desert island jazz albums...

23 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

God that's an incredible album.

Basie, Frank and Quincy. There will never be that much talent on a single stage again.  Quincy's arrangements were pure genius.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

This is something a little different, but it's one of my favorite videos to go back and watch. I played Bari Sax for 2 years and it takes a crazy amount of lung strength to get through a concert, but the way Leo P makes it look so easy is insane. What I love so much about this performance is the culture clash between Leo P's over the top street performance style, Charles Mingus' free jazz, and the uptight symphony being forced to play out of their comfort zone. That's what I love so much about jazz, it allows everyone to contribute with their own unique style to create something special. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Greatest guitarist to ever live

Throw a bone to the greatest clarinetist who ever lived dude.  There's not that many of them! :-)

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

30 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Throw a bone to the greatest clarinetist who ever lived dude.  There's not that many of them! :-)

I hated Benny Goodman for a long time when I was younger for all the big band swing stuff. But when I started listening to his sextetd stuff with Charlie Christian I came to really appreciate him more. Even if I'm no huge fan of jazz clarinet.