Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

No More Kansas Jokes, I’m Moving Back To Vegas

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

That is a very good question. It was simply money. A head hunter recruited me to come out here and help Midwest Energy get a bunch of lines and substations they needed to get and rebuild old ones. It was almost getting to a crisis situation. They can’t get engineers to live in central and western KS, and even consultants don’t like to deal with all the work out here. 

So they had to offer a good deal. It’s not like going to work in Iraq and demanding huge money, but I told them $160k, 12% to my 401k, 32 days of PTO, 100% vested in the pension plan, country club golf course membership, new company truck, etc. and they said “deal”. I live in the golf course community where the lots are huge, houses are huge, and my neighbors are doctors, a few lawyers, University folks, etc. so with all the big trees and houses, you can’t see the flatland. You could be anywhere really.

So that’s not bad. I live in Hays, and it’s the golf course in the west part of town. Because of the big medical facilities here to serve this half of KS, Fort Hays State University which is now bigger than Wichita St. and the #3 school in KS, the prices are high for Kansas. That keeps the scum meth people, gangs, etc. out of the city. They all live in shitholes like Great Bend an hour SE, Garden City and Dodge City a few hours south of here. So at least Hays is clean and relatively crime free. 

About a few months after I got here, one day I was off on a Friday and bored. I looked out the window and saw a kid get out of his car and run to a house about 50 yards away with some heavy tools that looked like maybe a crow bar, he jumped the backyard fence and about 5 min later the garage door opens and he runs out down the street to his car and drives it into the garage quickly and closes it. Call me crazy, but that might be a little punk trying to be a hamburgler.

So I was board and called it in as a burglary in progress in a huge nice house. The lady that took my call was like “really? We generally don’t have burglars like that here, it’s pretty rare.” But she made the call. Holy crap, just about every law enforcement vehicle in the county shows up. I counted 6 local PD vehicles, 4 Sheriff, 2 Hwy Patrol and a Fort Hays University. Cop car. It was the scene and just the entertainment I was looking for. So I sat on my porch and watched it play out with my police band radio. 

They were afraid to go in the house. They called the home phone, first. No answer. I guess they think the burglar is dumber than they are. So after a half hour, a few cops went and knocked on the door. No answer. Finally the kid crapping his pants called the police and said he lived there and he was coming out. So he does, and they see he’s a 16 year old kid, and kids of that age can’t burglarize a house.

So the police chief calls me on the phone and asks me why I would think a kid could be a burglar. They were expecting the Hollywood stereotype I guess. So I laid into him and said “You’ve got to be shitting me. Are you being serious? In the real world there are 16 years olds that wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a cop or even a police chief in the head if they had the opportunity. And you’re telling me they don’t steal shit from houses? From what I’ve seen this afternoon, you guys needed the practice badly.” So he was pissed and hung up, and it took 45 min for most of the cops to leave. They just sat out there and chatted with each other like they were on lunch break. 

Damn, so what was the deal that got you to leave?  Seems like you should not have too much problem buying that 650k home in Reno...

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

I have never been to Washington state other than setac airport. I've heard Spokane called "SpoCompton". Is it that bad? Seems like it has potential to be a good city in a nice area of the world.

It's not the city that is bad, it's the people.  The parks are nicer than probably 99% of cities.  The outdoor activities nearby are awesome.  The waterfalls downtown are badass.  The bike paths along the river (all the way to Couer d'Alene Idaho) are awesome. The mountains and lakes of nearby north Idaho are amazing. 

But the fish in the river are not supposed to be eaten for the most part (PCBs + heavy metals from decades of mining).  In the 1980s there was a huge depression when the major employers (Aluminum manufacturing, mining, etc. all took a dive).  There's a homeless problem.  There's a ton of property crime.  If you leave a phone or something showing in your car overnight, it's likely you'll have a broken window in the morning.  There is trash everywhere downtown and people don't care about their property, so you have lots of yard-car type of neighborhoods. Lots more of a meth/heroin problem than most other places in the West.

That said I am in a pretty badass part of the town in a cool house that I wouldn't be able to afford anywhere else in most of the Western US.

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

That is a very good question. It was simply money. A head hunter recruited me to come out here and help Midwest Energy get a bunch of lines and substations they needed to get and rebuild old ones. It was almost getting to a crisis situation. They can’t get engineers to live in central and western KS, and even consultants don’t like to deal with all the work out here. 

So they had to offer a good deal. It’s not like going to work in Iraq and demanding huge money, but I told them $160k, 12% to my 401k, 32 days of PTO, 100% vested in the pension plan, country club golf course membership, new company truck, etc. and they said “deal”. I live in the golf course community where the lots are huge, houses are huge, and my neighbors are doctors, a few lawyers, University folks, etc. so with all the big trees and houses, you can’t see the flatland. You could be anywhere really.

So that’s not bad. I live in Hays, and it’s the golf course in the west part of town. Because of the big medical facilities here to serve this half of KS, Fort Hays State University which is now bigger than Wichita St. and the #3 school in KS, the prices are high for Kansas. That keeps the scum meth people, gangs, etc. out of the city. They all live in shitholes like Great Bend an hour SE, Garden City and Dodge City a few hours south of here. So at least Hays is clean and relatively crime free. 

About a few months after I got here, one day I was off on a Friday and bored. I looked out the window and saw a kid get out of his car and run to a house about 50 yards away with some heavy tools that looked like maybe a crow bar, he jumped the backyard fence and about 5 min later the garage door opens and he runs out down the street to his car and drives it into the garage quickly and closes it. Call me crazy, but that might be a little punk trying to be a hamburgler.

So I was board and called it in as a burglary in progress in a huge nice house. The lady that took my call was like “really? We generally don’t have burglars like that here, it’s pretty rare.” But she made the call. Holy crap, just about every law enforcement vehicle in the county shows up. I counted 6 local PD vehicles, 4 Sheriff, 2 Hwy Patrol and a Fort Hays University. Cop car. It was the scene and just the entertainment I was looking for. So I sat on my porch and watched it play out with my police band radio. 

They were afraid to go in the house. They called the home phone, first. No answer. I guess they think the burglar is dumber than they are. So after a half hour, a few cops went and knocked on the door. No answer. Finally the kid crapping his pants called the police and said he lived there and he was coming out. So he does, and they see he’s a 16 year old kid, and kids of that age can’t burglarize a house.

So the police chief calls me on the phone and asks me why I would think a kid could be a burglar. They were expecting the Hollywood stereotype I guess. So I laid into him and said “You’ve got to be shitting me. Are you being serious? In the real world there are 16 years olds that wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a cop or even a police chief in the head if they had the opportunity. And you’re telling me they don’t steal shit from houses? From what I’ve seen this afternoon, you guys needed the practice badly.” So he was pissed and hung up, and it took 45 min for most of the cops to leave. They just sat out there and chatted with each other like they were on lunch break. 

Does anyone else have a hard time reading a complete book like the above? I stopped after I saw 10 paragraphs. 

9 minutes ago, utenation said:

Does anyone else have a hard time reading a complete book like the above? I stopped after I saw 10 paragraphs. 

You missed the part where he was "board" one day and almost gets a neighbor kid shot by the Keystone KS cops.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Damn, so what was the deal that got you to leave?  Seems like you should not have too much problem buying that 650k home in Reno...

I didn’t say I couldn’t buy it, I just don’t want to spent it if I don’t have to. After 5 years here, the money loses its appeal when you’re so far from family and friends. I do like doing some storm chasing this time of year out here. I’m not one of those idiots that have to have their cars right up to the edge of one. If you stay out of the “bears cage”, it’s rather safe. That’s what chasers refer to as the area under the big wall cloud the tornado is in. Sometimes the wall cloud will drop on you in minutes, and even though tornado is half a mile away, suddenly you’re in the tornado. That’s how the weather channel crew had their vehicles get picked up and barely survived. 

The El Reno tornado about 6 years ago did that and it turned into a 2.5 mile diameter EF5 with winds about 300 mph. The record wind they’ve clocked so far was in Moore, OK at 320 mph. There’s certainly been higher winds than that because most tornadoes don’t get clocked, they go by damage. 

kat.jpg

22 minutes ago, utenation said:

That particular one wasn’t for you, but I did serve this thread up just for you guys. It’s hilarious to watch you get so excited and then beat off to it.   🤮🤮🤮🤪🤪😂😂😹😹👍

kat.jpg

15 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I didn’t say I couldn’t buy it, I just don’t want to spent it if I don’t have to. After 5 years here, the money loses its appeal when you’re so far from family and friends. I do like doing some storm chasing this time of year out here. I’m not one of those idiots that have to have their cars right up to the edge of one. If you stay out of the “bears cage”, it’s rather safe. That’s what chasers refer to as the area under the big wall cloud the tornado is in. Sometimes the wall cloud will drop on you in minutes, and even though tornado is half a mile away, suddenly you’re in the tornado. That’s how the weather channel crew had their vehicles get picked up and barely survived. 

The El Reno tornado about 6 years ago did that and it turned into a 2.5 mile diameter EF5 with winds about 300 mph. The record wind they’ve clocked so far was in Moore, OK at 320 mph. There’s certainly been higher winds than that because most tornadoes don’t get clocked, they go by damage. 

I agree with TP, if you can get a piece of Reno now, do it.

Either way, glad you are getting back to a place you enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

That particular one wasn’t for you, but I did serve this thread up just for you guys. It’s hilarious to watch you get so excited and then beat off to it.   🤮🤮🤮🤪🤪😂😂😹😹👍

There is plenty of stuff to beat you up about but I will say, the people who will go out of their way to jump on you no matter what you post are kinda silly.  

6 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I definitely like the Missouri side better. I'd love to live in one of those old brick buildings in or around downtown there.

And I'd never live in Vegas either. I've never seen the appeal. I could see living in Reno though.

When you do my kind of work that’s very niche oriented, you don’t have a lot of choices where you can live because the opportunities are few unless you want to do slave labor and be on the road constantly working for the bigger consultants. A lot of those are just terrible jobs. But now that remote working is the new trend, that’s changing thank God. I’m not going back to work at the utility in NV, this is a joint venture with an old friend of mine. He’s been really successful with it on his own but really needed someone else to share the load. 

kat.jpg

31 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

You’re being smart by not competing with buyers that are acting irrationally.

26 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I don't understand the nonstop Convert hate on here. Dude might be the most interesting person on this board. Funnier than hell too. It just comes across like some Lord of the Flies-esque shit on the part of a few people IMO.

He has some horrible takes on occasion, but I think that about every poster basically.  Some of his tastes in music are questionable, often times his comebacks are cringy. and his feral cat stuff is nonsense.  That said, I would enjoy hanging out with the old man.  Good stories, a weird wit.  Takes a beating well and does not let it bother him.

9 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah, we all have shit takes (myself included; see Syrian commentary), and his music is questionable at times, but +++++, the way people go after him over everything, you'd think he was out there posting "Hail Hitler" every post or something. People are also getting as bad with Soup as they are with him too. It's ridiculous. Yeah, they post things that people don't like on occasion, but +++++, the venom tossed at them borders on nauseating.

The Lord of the Flies shit is really bizarre when it happens. I've seen it happen in other settings/boards too. People are +++++ed up animals.

@soupslam is a really solid dude.  When he heard early in the pandemic I was providing for my sick sister and laid off father, he offered me $500 via PM.  I declined, and he donated it to a local food bank instead.  Totally fascist, racist, Nazist, whatever, right?

I think part of the reason we see it is because all the board conservative intellectuals have been driven away (not saying they are not intellectuals)  and the board demographic is now 80-20 to those who support the GOP and those that do not, including the libertarian segment in the do not group.  So Soup, Convert and Bob are always playing defense, Lawlor plays offense but is targeted, @CPslogradis clearly just frustrated.  The rest are gone.  It's basically 20 people gang pilling on 3-5.  

Kind of why when @BSUTOP25 and I outed @Whats Up Doc for being @Boise fan's sock and he got pissed and went with the "if you don't want a different opinion around here cus you are scared, rant" I did not feel bad.  We don't need one more hard lefter who thinks he needs to hide his identity to further the cause.  There are plenty of left of center voices, last thing the board needs is a bomb throwing sock puppet to further the left of center (in his case far left) cause.  Man up and post under your prior username.

24 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

@soupslam is a really solid dude.  When he heard early in the pandemic I was providing for my sick sister and laid off father, he offered me $500 via PM.  I declined, and he donated it to a local food bank instead.  Totally fascist, racist, Nazist, whatever, right?

I think part of the reason we see it is because all the board conservative intellectuals have been driven away (not saying they are not intellectuals)  and the board demographic is now 80-20 to those who support the GOP and those that do not, including the libertarian segment in the do not group.  So Soup, Convert and Bob are always playing defense, Lawlor plays offense but is targeted, @CPslogradis clearly just frustrated.  The rest are gone.  It's basically 20 people gang pilling on 3-5.  

Kind of why when @BSUTOP25 and I outed @Whats Up Doc for being @Boise fan's sock and he got pissed and went with the "if you don't want a different opinion around here cus you are scared, rant" I did not feel bad.  We don't need one more hard lefter who thinks he needs to hide his identity to further the cause.  There are plenty of left of center voices, last thing the board needs is a bomb throwing sock puppet to further the left of center (in his case far left) cause.  Man up and post under your prior username.

Yep. 

And lol re Comrade @Boise fanand his stupid sock. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yep. 

And lol re Comrade @Boise fanand his stupid sock. 

And then trying to paint us as the bad guys for pointing out the obvious.  "you just don't want an opposing viewpoint" like bruh, all we have on here is opposing viewpoints.

4 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Grand Junction (and the West Slope in general) is great. Really nice climate, very pretty and Grand Junction is a cool town. Some of the other areas are great around there too and it's pretty close to some great skiing. I honestly prefer Durango in Western Colorado, but Grand Junction is cool. Definitely an upgrade over Spokompton.

Grand Junction is like a real town with a diverse economy and real people. They’ve redeveloped the downtown area and has great outdoors recreation obviously. You have to drive a little upstream on the Colorado or Gunnison to get good fishing though the lakes up on the Mesa are pretty cool. Pretty good foodie scene too. The airport is even decent sized. 

Durango has turned into Telluride/Aspen lite with definite line between haves and have nots. The national publicity worked too well. The middle class are pretty much moving out to Bayfield. Just like every other attractive place, real estate is ridiculous with bidding wars from out of towners, though not at the high prices of Telluride and Aspen yet, it’s pretty much priced out even the affluent. It is a great area from a scenery and restaurant perspective though. 

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

And then trying to paint us as the bad guys for pointing out the obvious.  "you just don't want an opposing viewpoint" like bruh, all we have on here is opposing viewpoints.

I agree

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.