Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Unemployment

South Carolina and Montana ending the federal enhancement at the end of June. Seems like it's overdue, companies can't get some people to come back to work because the unemployment benefits are too generous.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Idaho was paying a bonus for people to come off unemployment and come back to work. Unemployment here is 3.5 percent, probably will be at 2.5% in a year. If you can swing a hammer and not repeatedly hit your hand, you can get a job paying $15.00 an hour. 

1 hour ago, modestobulldog said:

South Carolina and Montana ending the federal enhancement at the end of June. Seems like it's overdue, companies can't get some people to come back to work because the unemployment benefits are too generous.

I mean, it’s ending nationwide anyway like 8-9 weeks after that. 

10 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I mean, it’s ending nationwide anyway like 8-9 weeks after that. 

You don't think it will be extended?

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

Eh, that’s a gutsy call being you don’t know what this virus may be like come September.  

All the data indicates that the vaccines reduce transmission, and they're also helpful against the worrisome variants. Even getting one vaccine dose is tremendously beneficial.

COVID-19 is on the way out soon, at least here in the United States

1 hour ago, Maji said:

All the data indicates that the vaccines reduce transmission, and they're also helpful against the worrisome variants. Even getting one vaccine dose is tremendously beneficial.

Until the lab in Wuhan drops its next mixtape.  

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

You don't think it will be extended?

I would be pretty surprised if the extra $300 will be extended. Doubt Biden wants to use a reconciliation bill on another COVID relief package. 

5 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Yes  but factor in Lack of affordable daycare, people avoiding jobs with high covid exposure, and other issues are also to blame and not just laziness as some portray it.    

2 hours ago, Maji said:

Out?  No it is not.  Too many anti-vax people in the US for that to happen.  It will be a low smoldering virus with hot spots popping up over the next couple of years

43 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I would be pretty surprised if the extra $300 will be extended. Doubt Biden wants to use a reconciliation bill on another COVID relief package. 

I agree. there will be no extension,  barring a variant that escapes the vaccines.

4 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Idaho was paying a bonus for people to come off unemployment and come back to work. Unemployment here is 3.5 percent, probably will be at 2.5% in a year. If you can swing a hammer and not repeatedly hit your hand, you can get a job paying $15.00 an hour. 

Does that even cover daycare costs for 1 kid?

1 hour ago, Billings said:

Does that even cover daycare costs for 1 kid?

Probably not, I don’t know. I’ve never had to pay for day care . Why does it matter ? 

Edit: My daughter works at a daycare . She just told me that they charge 200 a week for one kid. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. 

Burger King over by Columbia Village was closed the other day when we went there after a baseball game, sign said not enough workers to stay open. It’s still hard to believe unemployment is making people so wealthy they won’t work. What’s it pay like $500 a week right including the $300 from the government?

The hard work of an employee is the supply, the need for work is the demand. We don't need a federal minimum wage increase, it's happening naturally (finally). Anyone who claims to love the free market should applaud the fact that the proletariat are realizing their fair shake.

I think, therefore I'm.

I bartend a couple nights a week at one of Boise's more prestige dining spots and we are losing good cooks to corporate/franchised places who are offering $16+ per hour. Supply and demand!

I think, therefore I'm.

3 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Edit: My daughter works at a daycare . She just told me that they charge 200 a week for one kid. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. 

I pay 1000 per month for a 2-year-old and 550 a month for afterschool (2:30-5:30) only (will go up to 800 or so for summer full days). So two kids, 1550 per month. About the same as our mortgage.

3 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

Burger King over by Columbia Village was closed the other day when we went there after a baseball game, sign said not enough workers to stay open.

They should try increasing wages