Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebels18

UNLV Football Springball Documentary

2 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

The Raiders moving to Vegas will end up hurting UNLV more than helping them. All attention will turn to the NFL and the Rebels will get even less attention and sponsorship etc... 

Welcome to becoming a pro sports city. 

I don't think the locals are all that invested in the Raiders, as much as they are in visiting teams, usually from where they came from. So yeah, 1 week every couple of years when their team comes to town they'll be flocking to see the 'Raiders', other than that, they'll be looking at more economical options for sports. If UNLV can get better recruits from playing in Allegiant, it can only help.. if they happen to start winning with those recruits, the fans will come. Same with basketball. I'm not worried about the NBA, that's an entirely different sport than college basketball, lol.

I'm not sure how either of these coaches will do, but they will get their chance. (and no, I don't count Arroyo's 'spring training' season last year). If they bomb, get a new AD first, then new coaches that can actually take advantage of what Vegas offers.

28 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I don't think the locals are all that invested in the Raiders, as much as they are in visiting teams, usually from where they came from. So yeah, 1 week every couple of years when their team comes to town they'll be flocking to see the 'Raiders', other than that, they'll be looking at more economical options for sports. If UNLV can get better recruits from playing in Allegiant, it can only help.. if they happen to start winning with those recruits, the fans will come. Same with basketball. I'm not worried about the NBA, that's an entirely different sport than college basketball, lol.

I'm not sure how either of these coaches will do, but they will get their chance. (and no, I don't count Arroyo's 'spring training' season last year). If they bomb, get a new AD first, then new coaches that can actually take advantage of what Vegas offers.

I bet it only takes one or two seasons for NFL fever to go wild in Vegas.  Plenty of wealthy residents to fill that place. 

In SLC, there’s 1000’s of fans wanting to go to games. Only a 5 hour drive helps too. Lots of Utah residents will be at games and yes quite the Raider fan base here.

ST George is growing like a weed with new money and also only an hour or so away.

The Vegas market for UNLV FB and MBB is and always has been wide open. Just like most other communities all you need to do is put on a great show and that revolves around winning. Tons of people out there that could either don’t really care about pro sports or can’t afford them personally or on a family basis. 

20 years ago we discussed what was needed to build a successful program. Facilities and money were always at the center of those discussions. Over those years the university and sports programs have built the facilities and at times have received the money necessary but the Admin still holds back all to often on spending that money. This year once again we have an opportunity to take another step. We’ll all see this fall we’re we go from here.

I’m pretty sure the powers that be that made this move did months of research on market and demographics before the move was made. I bet they know what they’re doing.

I realize UNLV fans are holding out hope that IF UNLV can pull their head out in football the fans will come back.

That ship has sailed.  Someone else mentioned it, Welcome to being a pro city now. Raider Football will explode this year and won’t look back.

The Raiders didn’t invest multi millions into this thinking they would be second fiddle to the mighty Rebels.

3 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

I’ve said this numerous times but the posters he replies to the most are actually trolling him. If they weren’t so good at what they do, he wouldn’t always be baited back into the threads and conversations. 

Bingo

3 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

I think you’re just mad or jealous because poor little UNLV has better football facilities than the mighty Yewt’s. 

Bingo.  The Utes are irrelevant..  not even the school with the most national name recognition amongst the Utah scools.  Utah is #2 to BYU.  Nobody cares about the Utes outside of Salt Lake.

50 minutes ago, utenation said:

I bet it only takes one or two seasons for NFL fever to go wild in Vegas.  Plenty of wealthy residents to fill that place. 

In SLC, there’s 1000’s of fans wanting to go to games. Only a 5 hour drive helps too. Lots of Utah residents will be at games and yes quite the Raider fan base here.

ST George is growing like a weed with new money and also only an hour or so away.

Yes Raider Nation is alive and well, and the Raiders will be sold out every game, whether they're coming in from California, Utah, or right here in Vegas. I wasn't disputing that whatsoever. I just think there's a certain population that could get on board with UNLV if they would ever give the fans something to show up for. There were usually between 15,000 to 20,000 of us out at Sam Boyd, others didn't want to drive out 'that far' (lol).  I think we'll see a bump in attendance for the first year or two, people will want to see the stadium, hopefully the rebels can dig themselves out of the cellar at some point and start giving them a reason to show up. Now is the time.

3 hours ago, utenation said:

It really is. And we actually have fans in our stadium.

9328B4FD-7FF3-49DB-A87C-A15C154DEC3B.jpeg

7412E86E-C2C3-4DEB-887E-F92C8113CEFD.jpeg

CE544A01-AAF2-4F88-BD8D-C43A7C5E5760.jpeg

892C949A-F1B4-402D-95CE-602D75DB796B.jpeg

Utes got some old, decrepit looking facilities.  Dang, I'd be embarrassed to show pictures of those.

24 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Yes Raider Nation is alive and well, and the Raiders will be sold out every game, whether they're coming in from California, Utah, or right here in Vegas. I wasn't disputing that whatsoever. I just think there's a certain population that could get on board with UNLV if they would ever give the fans something to show up for. There were usually between 15,000 to 20,000 of us out at Sam Boyd, others didn't want to drive out 'that far' (lol).  I think we'll see a bump in attendance for the first year or two, people will want to see the stadium, hopefully the rebels can dig themselves out of the cellar at some point and start giving them a reason to show up. Now is the time.

Great sight lines, comfortable seat, air conditioning, world class facility and most importantly... quality concessions. Can’t wait to settle in and enjoy the environment while munching. I drove by the stadium a few times last week, beautiful simply beautiful.

40 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

0-6 and dance parties at practice doesn’t seem like a good recipe. Looks like the team needs a good kick in the ass to me. Maybe they need to watch Rudy together to learn about work ethic.

1 hour ago, RebelTexan said:

Bingo.  The Utes are irrelevant..  not even the school with the most national name recognition amongst the Utah scools.  Utah is #2 to BYU.  Nobody cares about the Utes outside of Salt Lake.

Apparently there’s a few national folks that pay very close attention to the Utes.. Curious where powerhouse UNLV and BYU are on this list?

https://www.deseret.com/platform/amp/2019/11/6/20951623/utah-has-been-in-college-football-playoff-rankings-more-than-most-teams-in-nation

What else do you want to cover? Attendance? T25 rankings? Bowl wins? NY6 Bowl wins?

Hell, BYU fans quit trying to claim top dog status 15 years ago. 

6 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Las Vegas has the consensus best hockey fans in the NHL as voted by the PLAYER'S poll. Top attendance on the west coast in basketball for nearly half a century until too many consecutive years of .500 or worse basketball. Losing breeds contempt. Winning brings it all back though. Just win baby! 

Las Vegas is a large city with very different economic tiers. Many people cannot afford VGK or Raiders games and UNLV Football will be in a prime position to win fans over who want to experience sports in Allegiant Stadium without breaking the bank. UNLV Basketball has it's diehards and will easily bring in 15k/game again if they win. 

UNLV is in a prime position. Coach Kruger and Arroyo just need to capitalize on this opportunity. 

It’s all brand new. Talk to me in 6-8 more years when the novelty wears off and your hockey team sucks. Then we will find out if you have good hockey fans. I bet the place in half empty. 

Vegas is a transient town with everyone having loyalty to wherever they came from. I think the Raiders will do ok because of out of town fans coming to Vegas to watch their team kick the crap out of da raidahs. The Raiders will lose like the Raiders always do and the locals will be worn out with them within 5 years, especially when out of town Raider fan shows up from LA/Oakland and you all get a look at them. Lol.  It’s not a pretty sight.  Hopefully they don’t wreck the town. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

13 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

It’s all brand new. Talk to me in 6-8 more years when the novelty wears off and your hockey team sucks. Then we will find out if you have good hockey fans. 

Utah has great college athletics. Utah is healthy, BYU is healthy. And we all take a back seat to the Jazz. If you live in the Bay Area, take your pick on good pro sports which trump Cal, Stanford and SJSU.. Just the way it is. Denver, Phoenix. All the same.

I’m not so sure Hockey is a good measuring stick anyways. I put it just a hair above MLS. 

But the NFL, NBA and MLB are different animals.

14 minutes ago, utenation said:

Utah has great college athletics. Utah is healthy, BYU is healthy. And we all take a back seat to the Jazz. If you live in the Bay Area, take your pick on good pro sports which trump Cal, Stanford and SJSU.. Just the way it is. Denver, Phoenix. All the same.

Vegas will learn this. They are not that big a metro and now have two pro sports teams. That’s a lot for their size, so I know they are counting on the visiting teams bringing fans to Vegas. That’s the deal, getting the out of town fan to show up and spend money. Vegas doesn’t survive without the tourists.  The more the Raiders lose (and visiting fan comes to watch the beat down, the more Vegas $$$ wins).

If the NBA comes than nobody will care about UNLV basketball but your students and local alumni base.  Try and keep them out so UNLV basketball can still thrive. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 hour ago, utenation said:

0-6 and dance parties at practice doesn’t seem like a good recipe. Looks like the team needs a good kick in the ass to me. Maybe they need to watch Rudy together to learn about work ethic.

But how do you know they aren’t also putting in the work?

15 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

It’s all brand new. Talk to me in 6-8 more years when the novelty wears off and your hockey team sucks. Then we will find out if you have good hockey fans. I bet the place in half empty. 

Vegas is a transient town with everyone having loyalty to wherever they came from. I think the Raiders will do ok because of out of town fans coming to Vegas to watch their team kick the crap out of da raidahs. The Raiders will lose like the Raiders always do and the locals will be worn out with them within 5 years, especially when out of town Raider fan shows up from LA/Bay Area and you all get a look at them. Lol.  It’s not a pretty sight.  Hopefully they don’t wreck the town. 

Everybody said no one would show up at Knights games after a year or 2, and 4 years later here we are. 

I’m sure interest might wane somewhere down the line, but the point was that Vegas will support a good team. There just hasn’t been much on the UNLV front for people to get excited about. 

7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

How else do you describe 0-6?  I don’t follow them as closely as you, so convince me they are putting in the work? I’ll listen. 

There is an old saying in sports. You are what your record says you are. 

From my experience, I have a no bullshit kinda coach that only rewards results.  And they all love him and we win a lot.

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Everybody said no one would show up at Knights games after a year or 2, and 4 years later here we are. 

I’m sure interest might wane somewhere down the line, but the point was that Vegas will support a good team. There just hasn’t been much on the UNLV front for people to get excited about. 

I’m not surprised they support the hockey team.  It’s new, you win, it’s the first local pro team.  Like Portland supporting the Blazers. It’s like a college atmosphere when you win because they are the only pro team in town.  Civic pride that you joined the big time. 

The Sharks were the Knights 30 years ago, but the Sharks still sell out thirty years later. Hopefully the Knights will also.  That would mean they have a solid local fan base. 

I think the NFL is a stretch in Vegas.  The Vegas stadium was as much about having that large entertainment venue in Vegas as it was the NFL. The NFL just were the means to get you that venue.  Supporting the NFL takes a boatload of fans.  Even the Bay Area wouldn’t support the Raiders in the long run.  Fugly fan base and too much losing. Hopefully the locals in Vegas buy up tix and keep outside thug Raider fan out of town. Change that culture that was started in LA. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

36 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Vegas is a transient town with everyone having loyalty to wherever they came from. I think the Raiders will do ok because of out of town fans coming to Vegas to watch their team kick the crap out of da raidahs. The Raiders will lose like the Raiders always do and the locals will be worn out with them within 5 years, especially when out of town Raider fan shows up from LA/Oakland and you all get a look at them. Lol.  It’s not a pretty sight.  Hopefully they don’t wreck the town. 

You're just jaded because Bay Area liberals are zero loyalty scumbags and the worst sports fans in the country. California is the worst when it comes to fairweather fans in general. SJSU won the league and you still can't get more than 20 people to give a sh*t. It's a really sad, hopeless situation for you guys. If UNLV won the league and got a bowl game Allegiant would be BUZZING.

Don't put your bad juju on us. Vegas is different, we love sports! And Vegas has the best sports fans in the nation. You give us a winner and arenas/stadiums are packed! 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

4 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I’m not surprised they support the hockey team when it’s winning.  It’s new, you win, it’s the first local pro team.  Like Portland supporting the Blazers. It’s like a college atmosphere when you win because they are the only pro team in town. 

The Sharks were the Knights 30 years ago, but the Sharks still sell out thirty years later. Hopefully the Knights will also.  That would mean they have a solid local fan base. 

I think the NFL is a stretch in Vegas.  The Vegas stadium was as much about having that large entertainment venue in Vegas as it was the NFL. The NFL just were the means to get you that venue.  Supporting the NFL takes a boatload of fans.  Even the Bay Area wouldn’t support the Raiders in the long run.  Fugly fan base and too much losing. Hopefully the locals in Vegas buy up tix and keep outside thug Raider fan out of town. Change that culture that was started in LA. 

I think the thing that will keep Vegas rolling is out of state fans, specially Utah and so cal residents. 

But I’m not counting out Vegas residents yet.  Wait and see.

5 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

You're just jaded because Bay Area liberals are zero loyalty scumbags and the worst sports fans in the country. California is the worst when it comes to fairweather fans in general. SJSU won the league and you still can't get more than 20 people to give a sh*t. It's a really sad, hopeless situation for you guys. If UNLV won the league and got a bowl game Allegiant would be BUZZING.

Don't put your bad juju on us. Vegas is different, we love sports! And Vegas has the best sports fans in the nation. You give us a winner and arenas/stadiums are packed! 

What about the Giants, Niners and Warriors? The problem with the Raiders was the way  Al Davis ran things. He’s gone.