Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

April Jobs Report

4 minutes ago, happycamper said:

But... why? It seems like for the first time in a long time, businesses are going to need to increase wages to hire workers... and because of it the discourse has shifted from the wonders of the free market to entitlement mentality on the part of business owners. Workers aren't obligated to work for them, nobody owes a business owner labor for whatever price the business owner calls.

It lies bare how little they actually love the free market, to me. 

This is a good point, but it's worth pointing out the role that state programs play in that calculus. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

But... why? It seems like for the first time in a long time, businesses are going to need to increase wages to hire workers... and because of it the discourse has shifted from the wonders of the free market to entitlement mentality on the part of business owners. Workers aren't obligated to work for them, nobody owes a business owner labor for whatever price the business owner calls.

The folks I know who work and grew up in families where the (usually) single-parent scraped by in those working class jobs have a different world view.  It’s not informed by neoclassical economics theory :).  

I’ve seen a number of posts where the hourly wages offered are around, and just over, $20/hr.  So, they don’t have a lot of sympathy for the jobless peers still driving mom’s second car. 

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

This is a good point, but it's worth pointing out the role that state programs play in that calculus. 

sure... although the rabbit hole of "who does the state give more power to" is probably going to end up on the employer's side if we really wanted to get granular 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

sure... although the rabbit hole of "who does the state give more power to" is probably going to end up on the employer's side if we really wanted to get granular 

Maybe, but right now the national discussion seems to be focused on unemployment benefits that were explicitly set up to incentivize keeping people out of the workplace. So I do think that's relavent. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, grandjean87 said:

The folks I know who do work and grew up in families where the (usually) single-parent scraped by in those working class jobs have a different world view.  It’s not informed by neoclassical economics theory :).  

I’ve seen a number of posts where the hourly wages offered are around, and just over, $20/hr.  So, they don’t have a lot of sympathy for the jobless peers still driving mom’s second car. 

I mean... you can't afford to buy a house in Boise on 20/hour. I don't think you can reasonably even afford a studio apartment, with a casual survey of rates. 20 years ago you could do both those on 11/hour. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I mean... you can't afford to buy a house in Boise on 20/hour. I don't think you can reasonably even afford a studio apartment, with a casual survey of rates. 20 years ago you could do both those on 11/hour. 

My college apartment has gone up $400 since I left in 2016.  They built all of these total scam private student apartments the year I left, they were charging $600 for a room and shared kitchen/bathroom when I was paying $650 for a 1 bedroom.  

Just now, tailingpermit said:

My college apartment has gone up $400 since I left in 2016.  They built all of these total scam private student apartments the year I left, they were charging $600 for a room and shared kitchen/bathroom when I was paying $650 for a 1 bedroom.  

yikes!

14 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I’m not sure if I know anyone in that younger demographic that lives solo. It’s multi-gen and roommates living arrangements.  Yes, there are a ton of folks struggling for housing. It’s the other thing they talk about all the time. 

2 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

I’m not sure if I know anyone in that younger demographic that lives solo. It’s multi-gen and roommates living arrangements.  Yes, there are a ton of folks struggling for housing. It’s the other thing they talk about all the time. 

My son is an example of that.  He and 2 of his buddies are sharing a 3 bedroom house.

20 minutes ago, broncsrock said:

My son is an example of that.  He and 2 of his buddies are sharing a 3 bedroom house.

Two of mine shared an apartment until March. One moved out of state temporarily, but she has a decent-paying job. The other to an expensive mountain town. Trying to find a place to rent isn’t easy, but at least there is work.

5 hours ago, happycamper said:

“All good things come to an end folks ~ time to work like the rest of us 😶

The above was a personal comment posted about Idaho Gov. Little pulling out of three federal pandemic unemployment programs.  Single mom, mid-30s w/teen son. No college. 

It is pretty typical of the views I see and hear in the 208 from that population. 

8 hours ago, happycamper said:

Young Idahoans likely skew more conservative than young workers in most states, given state demographics. Republicans don't win the youth vote, but they're still competitive with young white voters

7 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

Georgists rise up!

20210506_134141.jpg

3 hours ago, grandjean87 said:

“All good things come to an end folks ~ time to work like the rest of us 😶

The above was a personal comment posted about Idaho Gov. Little pulling out of three federal pandemic unemployment programs.  Single mom, mid-30s w/teen son. No college. 

It is pretty typical of the views I see and hear in the 208 from that population. 

Same sentiment from my BK friends, ironically.  From well to do families, college paid for, some of them, by the folks.  One friend, I would describe as liberal (not in the top25 sense) posted "get the f out of your home and work, wages are tight right now, get hired now when they are bleeding and begging, not latter"

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Same sentiment from my BK friends, ironically.  From well to do families, college paid for, some of them, by the folks.  One friend, I would describe as liberal (not in the top25 sense) posted "get the f out of your home and work, wages are tight right now, get hired now when they are bleeding and begging, not latter"

Work ethic is a good thing.

The thing about the labor market now in this weird time is, I'm afraid, it is laying bare the work culture of a segment of Gens M and Z.  The secular shift in workplace (declining) participation has long been discussed.  We're now seeing real wage inflation in many places here (entry-level and trade skills level).  Mountain towns, lower Snake River Valley -- it's not just Boise Metro.  The idea that ongoing lower labor participation rates for people, men especially, in their younger primes were heavily influenced by low wages is getting tested.