Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kalua pig

ot : hawai’i vs byu

Go Hawaii! Yeah they have been LBSU's volleyball rival the past few years (epic matchups in 2019) but still want the Big West to start 3-0 in men's volleyball national championships. Also nice to have the two best teams make the finals despite the shorten season. 

7 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Hawaii was upset by UCSD and still earned a #1 seed.  The bias is real

we lost that game on purpose.we wanted the big west to be a 2 bid league.

10 hours ago, kalua pig said:

we lost that game on purpose.we wanted the big west to be a 2 bid league.

Big West was going to be a two bid league either way. They are the best men's volleyball league. Granted there aren't many men's volleyball conferences but it is still something lol

10 hours ago, kalua pig said:

if they did,byu lost.

Hawaii's (and all Big West teams) only out of conference games this year was vs conference mates (extra matchups that counted on record but not conference standings) because of COVID.

The last UH-BYU match was a 5-set thriller in March 2020.  They were the two highest-ranked teams in the country then too, and played in front of 10,000 screaming UH fans.  The next day both teams had their remaining seasons canceled due to COVID.

I think today’s match in Columbus will be played in front of maybe a few hundred family members and supporters of the two teams.  Totally different atmosphere, but the stakes are so much higher.

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Hawaii kicked butt in the first set. What’s with all the foreign players? 

Other countries take men's volleyball more serious than the USA. More of a regional sport in the USA (Hawaii, So Cal, Florida, few other hotspots). Every year a decent chunk of the best college men's volleyball players are from other countries. I mean it is not as bad as tennis (hell seems like 50%+ of the roster is from another country) but enough to notice.