Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Trumper Friends??

A friend and I who haven’t talked since Trump chatted today.    

In my mind, especially after the election, Trump has proven himself to be an existential threat to the nation.   His constant claims that the election was stolen failed to destroy this country only because the military told him to go +++++ himself.  Had he succeeded in politicizing the military, which he tried, our constitutional democracy would have failed.   

Now my Trumper friend wants to rekindle the friendship.  I’m at a cross roads.  On one hand this person would give the shirt off their back.   But he is also a fervent pro-Trumper.   It  obviously means ignoring politics.   Do you ignore your values for the sake of a friendship?   Is it much better than ignoring slavery in the 1800’s though you were personally opposed?  

Trump stomped on the constitution.  He separated children from their known parents. I can’t think of a much worse person much less a President.  And yet my friend would re-elect him in a heartbeat?  What would Christ do?  What should I do?   

9 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

In my mind, especially after the election, Trump has proven himself to be an existential threat to the nation.   His constant claims that the election was stolen failed to destroy this country only because the military told him to go +++++ himself.  Had he succeeded in politicizing the military, which he tried, our constitutional democracy would have failed.   

Now my Trumper friend wants to rekindle the friendship.  I’m at a cross roads.  On one hand this person would give the shirt off their back.   But he is also a fervent pro-Trumper.   It  obviously means ignoring politics.   Do you ignore your values for the sake of a friendship?   Is it much better than ignoring slavery in the 1800’s though you were personally opposed?  

Trump stomped on the constitution.  He separated children from their known parents. I can’t think of a much worse person much less a President.  And yet my friend would re-elect him in a heartbeat?  What would Christ do?  What should I do?   

There’s no doubt that Trump has a bad downside that cancels out a lot or all of the good, but your analysis of him is still delusional and way over the top. Has it ever occurred to you that the Dem shit show is even more dangerous to our country? I certainly hope someone like Haley gets the 2024 nomination. But if Trump is the nominee I’ll be totally pissed. But I’ll easily, albeit still pissed, vote for him again any day of the week and 5 times on Sunday before I’d vote for the Dem disaster. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

There’s no doubt that Trump has a bad downside that cancels out a lot or all of the good, but your analysis of him is still delusional and way over the top. Has it ever occurred to you that the Dem shit show is even more dangerous to our country? I certainly hope someone like Haley gets the 2024 nomination. But if Trump is the nominee I’ll be totally pissed. But I’ll easily, albeit still pissed, vote for him again any day of the week and 5 times on Sunday before I’d vote for the Dem disaster. 

@sactowndogI’m sure this helps you decide. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

23 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Is it possible to not talk politics with this friend? If so, reconnecting should be done. If politics are constantly brought up, then save the stress for both of you. Trump is definitely the worse president we've had in our lifetime. Or my lifetime, at least. Biden is also separating families.

Edit: I think there are more Trumpers in my family than in my circle of friends. We usually are pretty good at avoiding political talk when together. That was a benefit of COVID, seeing less of them because of the restrictions.

8 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Is it possible to not talk politics with this friend? If so, reconnecting should be done. If politics are constantly brought up, then save the stress for both of you. Trump is definitely the worse president we've had in our lifetime. Or my lifetime, at least. Biden is also separating families.

Edit: I think there are more Trumpers in my family than in my circle of friends. We usually are pretty good at avoiding political talk when together. That was a benefit of COVID, seeing less of them because of the restrictions.

Thanks for the thoughts.  Luckily it’s not a family or marriage question.   Not bringing it up isn’t the problem.   It’s more is looking the other way a moral failure.  

19 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

@sactowndogI’m sure this helps you decide. 

He gave his opinion.  I’m sure it’s shared by many.  If I wanted an echo chamber I could have gone many other places.   So it’s a fair perspective and one to consider.   I disagree with him that the Dems are worse.  If it was a policy question I wouldn’t care.  But disagreeing doesn’t mean I value his opinion less.   

I have a lot of respect for Convert.   This board has taken a leftward slant but he stands true to his beliefs despite constant disparagement.   I appreciate that fact about him.  

11 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Thanks for the thoughts.  Luckily it’s not a family or marriage question.   Not bringing it up isn’t the problem.   It’s more is looking the other way a moral failure.  

There are multiple things to consider.

The main difference between Republican/Democrat is their empathy.  Republicans have strong empathy towards the people around them in their circle, Democrats have a broader empathy for other people they don't know personally, they can relate to others.

You said policy doesn't matter.  Isn't it though?  Does he have any irreconcilable views towards certain groups of people that are just repulsive to you?  Does he think an attack on the capital was morally correct?

What's his life story and background?  Why is he the way he is?  Has he been exposed to other people and other ideas?  Is a consequence of you rejecting his friendship going to result in him going back to his echo chamber?  Maybe reaching out to you is his way of reaching out.

If it's simply a matter of morality, would any of us have a lot of friends?  We all look the way to a certain points towards our friends' moral failures.

Two of my closest friends are Trump fans. We don't really bring it up because we have other things in common to bond over. When it does come up I just quote Trump himself and watch them spin it until they give up and we move on.

I think, therefore I'm.

I have two family members who are hardline Trump supporters. One of them I could care less because we don't really talk anyways, but the other is one of my uncle's who I love and respect very much. When we are all together as a family we don't really bring up politics, but usually a conversation starts up after a few beers and he will go on a rant then a debate between my uncle and dad will ensue. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I think you and @Nevada Convertshould put aside your differences and give each other a big hug. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

6 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I have two family members who are hardline Trump supporters. One of them I could care less because we don't really talk anyways, but the other is one of my uncle's who I love and respect very much. When we are all together as a family we don't really bring up politics, but usually a conversation starts up after a few beers and he will go on a rant then a debate between my uncle and dad will ensue. 

When politics comes up at family or friends gatherings, I’ve found the best approach is to try, politely and quickly as possible, to steer the conversation toward other subjects. If you’re willing to ostracize someone you care about over Donald Trump, you’re just as shallow as he is. Life is too short to ruin intimate relationships over politics and/or disgusting politicians.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I agree with others in this thread. This is not an uncommon thing. We all know Trump supporters.

It isn't a big deal to just not talk about Orange Man, or steer conversation elsewhere, because you will never be able to convince  Trump supporters of anything contrary to their worldview.

I have some really good friends who are Trumpers. Not to mention my mom and her husband. I try to steer the conversation away from politics, but if it’s unavoidable I try to talk about broader ideals that we can agree on rather than specific policies. I try to avoid culture war stuff at all costs.

I have friends with opposing views. I let them know I am fine not talking politics,  and I actively try not to bring them up. But, I also let them know if they say things I disagree with or think are false, I am going to speak up. It has mostly sorted itself out from there.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan