Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AxlRoseRulz

Everyone hates Jordan Love

8 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Yeah, I never thought I would see the day that Packer fans would turn on Rodgers but it's happening. I think more and more of them are growing tired of his drama, especially when he never delivers when it counts.

As for Jordan Love, I feel bad for the guy. He had no control over who drafted him and by all accounts the Colts were going to take him before the Packers jumped over them to get to him first. I really wish he would have ended up in Indy. He could have sat behind Rivers for a year and started this season. The Packers made no sense from the start and now he has to endure the added pain of dealing with Rodgers' personal conflicts with Packer management. 

I sort of wish he would have come out this season instead, many draft experts wrote articles leading up to the draft that stated he would have been the 2nd QB taken in this year's draft class. Although that would have meant rotting on the Jets roster. 

solid points.

It's odd that the Packers took Love in the draft if their plan was to still to have Rodgers play 3-5 more seasons. Why do that? That may have been kosher a decade ago when Favre was still playing and Rodgers had to sit and wait to play behind him, but that doesn't seem to be how things work today. Rodgers soured on the Packers the day they drafted Love and that relationship hasn't been the same since. That was a bad move for the Packers, Rodgers and Love.

14 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

solid points.

It's odd that the Packers took Love in the draft if their plan was to still to have Rodgers play 3-5 more seasons. Why do that? That may have been kosher a decade ago when Favre was still playing and Rodgers had to sit and wait to play behind him, but that doesn't seem to be how things work today. Rodgers soured on the Packers the day they drafted Love and that relationship hasn't been the same since. That was a bad move for the Packers, Rodgers and Love.

Their plan was to have him play 2 seasons.  Rogers' contract was structured to facilitate that, and there was a belief that 2019 was the beginning of Rogers' slide.  What they didnt plan on was Rogers being league MVP in 2020 and that 2019 was more a Rogers/LaFleur adjustment period.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Yea awful.  Poor guy has a good chance to be the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers following those Favre and Rodgers flops.    

I hope so.  Even if reports on his readiness and skills are false I’m worried about GB’s ability to make good decisions and create a good environment for growth.  They are failing him from what I’m hearing.

Damn you Jordan Love... how dare you be good enough to get drafted, and then having the audacity to get drafted... by the Packers! What kind of demon planning were you engaged in...you killed Aaron Rogers ego... you BASTARD!

mad stan marsh GIF by South Park

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

As much as I hate the Packers, and am enjoying their turmoil, what they did in drafting a QB was not wrong.  (Whether it should have been Love is another discussion).  NFL teams need to have short AND long term in mind.  Having a HOF caliber QB makes that especially problematic.  New England drafted a couple 2nd/3rd QBs, but Brady kept not getting old, so they traded Brissett and Garappalo away.  And so when they finally cut bait with TB, they scrambled, hoped for the best with Newton and rolled the dice on Jones.  Same thing with New Orleans, where Drew Brees refused to get old.  And now that he's finally retired, they got...what?

If the Packers had just been up front with Rodgers, they may still have found themselves in this quagmire - the guy is a diva, although nowhere near the head case Farve was.  But at least they they might be in a better position PR wise.  Not that that helps them, ultimately.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

As much as I hate the Packers, and am enjoying their turmoil, what they did in drafting a QB was not wrong.  (Whether it should have been Love is another discussion).  NFL teams need to have short AND long term in mind.  Having a HOF caliber QB makes that especially problematic.  New England drafted a couple 2nd/3rd QBs, but Brady kept not getting old, so they traded Brissett and Garappalo away.  And so when they finally cut bait with TB, they scrambled, hoped for the best with Newton and rolled the dice on Jones.  Same thing with New Orleans, where Drew Brees refused to get old.  And now that he's finally retired, they got...what?

If the Packers had just been up front with Rodgers, they may still have found themselves in this quagmire - the guy is a diva, although nowhere near the head case Farve was.  But at least they they might be in a better position PR wise.  Not that that helps them, ultimately.

I still maintain that drafting a 1st round QB if your not ready to move on from your current QB within a year is problematic. Gone are the days, when a Steve Young will sit behind Joe Montana or Rodgers behind Favre for multiple years. Too many teams watched the success of Pat Mahomes taking Alex Smiths place with the Chiefs after a year sitting and elevating that franchise. Everyone wants the next Pat Mahomes. The issue isn't not everyone has the offensive talent that Kansas City has,

Also gone are the days when a franchise is patient with a QB over several years. Today NFL teams have made a decision within 10 games whether its a franchise QB or not. Its crazy how quickly teams move on QB's.

Hard to say, but maybe drafting Jordan Love inspired and propelled Rodgers into having an MVP year.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

They've got one of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game...

taysom-hill-112220-getty-ftr_h5vsyxmu7c7

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I still maintain that drafting a 1st round QB if your not ready to move on from your current QB within a year is problematic. Gone are the days, when a Steve Young will sit behind Joe Montana or Rodgers behind Favre for multiple years. Too many teams watched the success of Pat Mahomes taking Alex Smiths place with the Chiefs after a year sitting and elevating that franchise. Everyone wants the next Pat Mahomes. The issue isn't not everyone has the offensive talent that Kansas City has,

Also gone are the days when a franchise is patient with a QB over several years. Today NFL teams have made a decision within 10 games whether its a franchise QB or not. Its crazy how quickly teams move on QB's.

Hard to say, but maybe drafting Jordan Love inspired and propelled Rodgers into having an MVP year.

Why is that hard to say?  I think it makes perfect sense.  It kind of reminds me of the Jay Leno -> Conan O'Brian -> Jay Leno fiasco at The Tonight Show. 

I may get some of this wrong, but as best as I remember: Conan's contract was up for renewal on Late Night and he wanted The Tonight Show.  Jay's ratings had been lagging, so the brass had a forced retirement for Jay with Conan taking over the show.  Jay didn't want to leave, so he upped his game and started crushing the ratings.  So when the forced transition arrived, NBC decided to keep Jay employed but bumped him up an hour on his new show.  Then both time slots started having issues.  Jay's ratings weren't great but NBC didn't care that much because his show was so much cheaper to produce than the other types of shows they would normally have in that time slot.  Even though he wasn't particularly competitive in the ratings, NBC was still making good money.  But the affiliates started complaining about not having good ratings leading into their local news shows.

Apparently Conan's ratings didn't fare particularly well.  So NBC decided to go back to the guy who was at the top of the ratings at that time slot.  Conan's ratings were never better than in the subsequent weeks of slamming NBC in his monologue (and the rest of the show).

Rodgers saw that management had anointed a new guy to come in and take over his job.  Whether consciously or not, he upped his game so that he could keep the prime spot.