Jump to content
modestobulldog

The mask shitshow continues

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I posted an atlantic article about the same thing in the coronavirus megathread. I originally saw it on twitter and hoo boy the comments there only reinforced the point the article was making. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, happycamper said:

I posted an atlantic article about the same thing in the coronavirus megathread. I originally saw it on twitter and hoo boy the comments there only reinforced the point the article was making. 

That was a good article. 

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of noise; too little signal. I did hear a lot of "them vs. us" narrative tho - enough to, combined with the noise:signal ratio, make me check out once I saw this example of snowflake fake rage:

Screen-Shot-2021-05-06-at-9-09-41-AM.png

IIRC, you were an LEA, right? Assuming you were, can you imagine how difficult the law would be to enforce if it only applied to certain segments of the population? I used to compete in motorsports. I held an SCCA race license for about five years and am a better driver than 99% of the genpop. So should I be exempt from speed limits? You see where this rabbit hole goes?

Here, masks are still required inside stores. Why? 

Because it's fvcked enough for John Stocker to have to try to enforce the mask mandate every time some whiny entitled b¡tch claims he or she should be exempt. And because it would create an unfair burden on the owners and employees of businesses to try to determine who is exempt and who is not. Because those not exempt are going to need coddling to explain why that person doesn't have to wear a mask while they do.

Maybe the marathon rant touched upon a salient issue somewhere in there - is there something I'm missing? :shrug:

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bob said:

+++++ing retards. Mask wearing is a cult

Says the good little monkey who's lips are surgically attached to the orange man's ballsack. :whistle:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Common sense and science - if you've been vaccinated, feel free to chuck the mask. However, such a position is associated with Trump, and the authoritarians can't handle that. They want us to continue wearing masks with no end in sight. These two hosts believe that an incentive for vaccination should be let you no longer need to wear a mask. Likewise, they feel that the masked mandate even after vaccination is a disincentive to become vaccinated.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With approximately half the population in the vaccinated or partially vaccinated column, I think it's time to chuck the masks outdoors, except crowded venues.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

With approximately half the population in the vaccinated or partially vaccinated column, I think it's time to chuck the masks outdoors, except crowded venues.

While I agree in principle, the problem is vaccination rates are widely variable and highly provincial - look at what's happening in Oregon right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I posted an atlantic article about the same thing in the coronavirus megathread. I originally saw it on twitter and hoo boy the comments there only reinforced the point the article was making. 

That was a good piece. God, I want to get away from all these people. From people like @Bobto the psychos who want masks in perpetuity, even if vaccinated, I just can't stand any of these assholes. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

People need to stop f**king panicking about COVID and start looking at it in risk management terms. If you're vaccinated you're about as safe as you can get. No need to mask up. If you're not vaccinated at this point (in the US, that is) you're just rolling the natural selection dice. Still, though, get the damn vaccine!

At any rate, it's time for mask mandates to go away. If business want to require it, fine. That's their perogative. I personally wouldn't be sad to see mask mandates for people that prepare your food become a permanent thing. That being said it should be a free market choice.

One caveat to all of this: I think it's safe to say that if you're not feeling your best wearing a mask around others isn't a bad idea. If you're worried about catching a virus due to weakend immune systems/pre-existing conditions/hypochondria wearing a mask isn't a bad idea. Wear it for yourself, but don't expect others to cater to you.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Common sense and science - if you've been vaccinated, feel free to chuck the mask. However, such a position is associated with Trump, and the authoritarians can't handle that. They want us to continue wearing masks with no end in sight. These two hosts believe that an incentive for vaccination should be let you no longer need to wear a mask. Likewise, they feel that the masked mandate even after vaccination is a disincentive to become vaccinated.

Okay.  I get that. Here's the article explaining a similar phenomenon @happycamper posted.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

I think some of it is for the feeling of being safe more than actually doing anything (like the TSA), especially when it comes to schools.  I kind of think the mask thing should be required inside until we are at a certain threshold of vaccines as a society, not personally. I don't wear a mask outside though and see very few people doing so.

Do people really glare at you @Joe from WY in SF for not wearing a mask outside?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

While I agree in principle, the problem is vaccination rates are widely variable and highly provincial - look at what's happening in Oregon right now.

Yeah, it's not great here. But our governor, who I have mostly supported and think has done a B or a B+ job through all this, is lost. Mandated the end of indoor dining in 15 counties last week, including mine, then a week later reversed. She doesn't know what to do.

Our infection rates are relatively high at the moment, though overall still one of the best in the U.S. We do have a big problem with ICU bed shortages, though. So I get the issues. But my view on it is this. We're at a point where 80% of at-risk adults have been vaccinated and 50% of all adults in the state, even if Eastern Oregon's vaccination rates are quite low (this a big problem where I live, which is the regional hub for much of Eastern Oregon). And anyone who wants a vaccine can get one. At some point, we shouldn't protect the Bobs of the world. Anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers have made their choice, and if they get burned by it, so be it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been three weeks since I got my second vaccination and I ditched the mask a week ago. I still put one on when I get my Starbucks in the morning because they require it, but other than that I never wear one. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bob said:

+++++ing retards. Mask wearing is a cult

You are just the other side of the same coin.

@NorCalCoug, is that fair criticism, or does that hurt your feelings, too?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

People need to stop f**king panicking about COVID and start looking at it in risk management terms. If you're vaccinated you're about as safe as you can get. No need to mask up. If you're not vaccinated at this point (in the US, that is) you're just rolling the natural selection dice. Still, though, get the damn vaccine!

At any rate, it's time for mask mandates to go away. If business want to require it, fine. That's their perogative. I personally wouldn't be sad to see mask mandates for people that prepare your food become a permanent thing. That being said it should be a free market choice.

One caveat to all of this: I think it's safe to say that if you're not feeling your best wearing a mask around others isn't a bad idea. If you're worried about catching a virus due to weakend immune systems/pre-existing conditions/hypochondria wearing a mask isn't a bad idea. Wear it for yourself, but don't expect others to cater to you.

I'm fine with wearing a mask inside because I know that in 1/4 second all the unvaccinated anti maskers would instantly claim vaccination to not wear masks any more. I would say when we hit ~70% vaccinated in an area... then just drop mandates. 

But... too many bobs

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Do people really glare at you @Joe from WY in SF for not wearing a mask outside?

 

Yes. All the time. They'll glare at you until you put your own safety at risk to walk in the roadway so you don't have to walk 4 feet around them. Still. It's +++++ing absurd. Even if you walk through the sidewalk cafes full of maskless people eating and drinking, if you're walking through and you don't have one, be prepared to get cross-browed glared at by yuppies.

Has happened twice already today. Happened many times last night. And countless times since I've been here. Also though it's worth noting that such glares are really pretty dependent on what part of town you're in. If you're where all the yuppies are at, the glares are aplenty. If you're in the barrio around 24th and Potrero eating tacos, well, you're probably not the only one without a mask on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The first people in human history to demand more restrictions from their own government". LMFAO so true.

  • Idiot 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the sentiment of wanting to burn the damn things, but I see us in the home stretch of the race. It's time to run through the finish line, not let up limp through it when we're so f*cking close... 

And vaccinating half the population doesn't cut it. To get on the back side of the pandemic, we need to reach herd immunity. And according to immunologists, epidemiologists, and virologists, we're gong to need to get to the 70ish percent mark to get there.

Otherwise, we're simply risking more additional waves and a continuation of this shite.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...