Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

The mask shitshow continues

3 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I posted an atlantic article about the same thing in the coronavirus megathread. I originally saw it on twitter and hoo boy the comments there only reinforced the point the article was making. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

I posted an atlantic article about the same thing in the coronavirus megathread. I originally saw it on twitter and hoo boy the comments there only reinforced the point the article was making. 

That was a good article. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

A lot of noise; too little signal. I did hear a lot of "them vs. us" narrative tho - enough to, combined with the noise:signal ratio, make me check out once I saw this example of snowflake fake rage:

Screen-Shot-2021-05-06-at-9-09-41-AM.png

IIRC, you were an LEA, right? Assuming you were, can you imagine how difficult the law would be to enforce if it only applied to certain segments of the population? I used to compete in motorsports. I held an SCCA race license for about five years and am a better driver than 99% of the genpop. So should I be exempt from speed limits? You see where this rabbit hole goes?

Here, masks are still required inside stores. Why? 

Because it's fvcked enough for John Stocker to have to try to enforce the mask mandate every time some whiny entitled b¡tch claims he or she should be exempt. And because it would create an unfair burden on the owners and employees of businesses to try to determine who is exempt and who is not. Because those not exempt are going to need coddling to explain why that person doesn't have to wear a mask while they do.

Maybe the marathon rant touched upon a salient issue somewhere in there - is there something I'm missing? :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

10 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Common sense and science - if you've been vaccinated, feel free to chuck the mask. However, such a position is associated with Trump, and the authoritarians can't handle that. They want us to continue wearing masks with no end in sight. These two hosts believe that an incentive for vaccination should be let you no longer need to wear a mask. Likewise, they feel that the masked mandate even after vaccination is a disincentive to become vaccinated.

110926run_defense710.jpg

With approximately half the population in the vaccinated or partially vaccinated column, I think it's time to chuck the masks outdoors, except crowded venues.

110926run_defense710.jpg

2 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

With approximately half the population in the vaccinated or partially vaccinated column, I think it's time to chuck the masks outdoors, except crowded venues.

While I agree in principle, the problem is vaccination rates are widely variable and highly provincial - look at what's happening in Oregon right now.

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

That was a good piece. God, I want to get away from all these people. From people like @Bobto the psychos who want masks in perpetuity, even if vaccinated, I just can't stand any of these assholes. 

People need to stop f**king panicking about COVID and start looking at it in risk management terms. If you're vaccinated you're about as safe as you can get. No need to mask up. If you're not vaccinated at this point (in the US, that is) you're just rolling the natural selection dice. Still, though, get the damn vaccine!

At any rate, it's time for mask mandates to go away. If business want to require it, fine. That's their perogative. I personally wouldn't be sad to see mask mandates for people that prepare your food become a permanent thing. That being said it should be a free market choice.

One caveat to all of this: I think it's safe to say that if you're not feeling your best wearing a mask around others isn't a bad idea. If you're worried about catching a virus due to weakend immune systems/pre-existing conditions/hypochondria wearing a mask isn't a bad idea. Wear it for yourself, but don't expect others to cater to you.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

3 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Common sense and science - if you've been vaccinated, feel free to chuck the mask. However, such a position is associated with Trump, and the authoritarians can't handle that. They want us to continue wearing masks with no end in sight. These two hosts believe that an incentive for vaccination should be let you no longer need to wear a mask. Likewise, they feel that the masked mandate even after vaccination is a disincentive to become vaccinated.

Okay.  I get that. Here's the article explaining a similar phenomenon @happycamper posted.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/05/liberals-covid-19-science-denial-lockdown/618780/

I think some of it is for the feeling of being safe more than actually doing anything (like the TSA), especially when it comes to schools.  I kind of think the mask thing should be required inside until we are at a certain threshold of vaccines as a society, not personally. I don't wear a mask outside though and see very few people doing so.

Do people really glare at you @Joe from WY in SF for not wearing a mask outside?

52 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

While I agree in principle, the problem is vaccination rates are widely variable and highly provincial - look at what's happening in Oregon right now.

Yeah, it's not great here. But our governor, who I have mostly supported and think has done a B or a B+ job through all this, is lost. Mandated the end of indoor dining in 15 counties last week, including mine, then a week later reversed. She doesn't know what to do.

Our infection rates are relatively high at the moment, though overall still one of the best in the U.S. We do have a big problem with ICU bed shortages, though. So I get the issues. But my view on it is this. We're at a point where 80% of at-risk adults have been vaccinated and 50% of all adults in the state, even if Eastern Oregon's vaccination rates are quite low (this a big problem where I live, which is the regional hub for much of Eastern Oregon). And anyone who wants a vaccine can get one. At some point, we shouldn't protect the Bobs of the world. Anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers have made their choice, and if they get burned by it, so be it.

It has been three weeks since I got my second vaccination and I ditched the mask a week ago. I still put one on when I get my Starbucks in the morning because they require it, but other than that I never wear one. 

6 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

People need to stop f**king panicking about COVID and start looking at it in risk management terms. If you're vaccinated you're about as safe as you can get. No need to mask up. If you're not vaccinated at this point (in the US, that is) you're just rolling the natural selection dice. Still, though, get the damn vaccine!

At any rate, it's time for mask mandates to go away. If business want to require it, fine. That's their perogative. I personally wouldn't be sad to see mask mandates for people that prepare your food become a permanent thing. That being said it should be a free market choice.

One caveat to all of this: I think it's safe to say that if you're not feeling your best wearing a mask around others isn't a bad idea. If you're worried about catching a virus due to weakend immune systems/pre-existing conditions/hypochondria wearing a mask isn't a bad idea. Wear it for yourself, but don't expect others to cater to you.

I'm fine with wearing a mask inside because I know that in 1/4 second all the unvaccinated anti maskers would instantly claim vaccination to not wear masks any more. I would say when we hit ~70% vaccinated in an area... then just drop mandates. 

But... too many bobs

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I agree with the sentiment of wanting to burn the damn things, but I see us in the home stretch of the race. It's time to run through the finish line, not let up limp through it when we're so f*cking close... 

And vaccinating half the population doesn't cut it. To get on the back side of the pandemic, we need to reach herd immunity. And according to immunologists, epidemiologists, and virologists, we're gong to need to get to the 70ish percent mark to get there.

Otherwise, we're simply risking more additional waves and a continuation of this shite.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

"The first people in human history to demand more restrictions from their own government". LMFAO so true.

bob you rail about restricting abortion rights, immigration rights, voting rights, trans rights, and basic civil liberties. You demand more restrictions from your own government ALL THE TIME. 

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I agree with the sentiment of wanting to burn the damn things, but I see us in the home stretch of the race. It's time to run through the finish line, not let up limp through it when we're so f*cking close... 

And vaccinating half the population doesn't cut it. To get on the back side of the pandemic, we need to reach herd immunity. And according to immunologists, epidemiologists, and virologists, we're gong to need to get to the 70ish parent mark to get there.

Otherwise, we're simply risking more additional waves and a continuation of this shite.

@Bob. Get your vaccine. Lets put this shit behind us. Tell your friends 

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Yes. All the time. They'll glare at you until you put your own safety at risk to walk in the roadway so you don't have to walk 4 feet around them. Still.

Has happened twice already today. Happened many times last night. Also though it depends on what part of town you're in. If you're where all the yuppies are at, the glares are aplenty. If you're in the barrio eating tacos, well, you're probably not the only one without a mask on.

Portland can be like that, too. Every now and again I'll get a glare here, but not often.