Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

US Birth rate really falling

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

lol who do you think pays for our retirement? who do you think makes the money we earned even mean anything after retirement? who do you think provides the goods and services after retirement? what do you think happens to the cost of medical care and the value of money if there's far fewer workers and far more very old people requiring medical care?

we don't have to be continually growing but we certainly need to not have a catastrophic drop in fertility in a generation. 

Wise people invest and save for their retirement. Those that depend solely on SS are phucked. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

Wise people invest and save for their retirement. Those that depend solely on SS are phucked. 

okay? you still need children to be born at a reasonable rate otherwise those investments and savings are worthless lmao

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

lol who do you think pays for our retirement? who do you think makes the money we earned even mean anything after retirement? who do you think provides the goods and services after retirement? what do you think happens to the cost of medical care and the value of money if there's far fewer workers and far more very old people requiring medical care?

we don't have to be continually growing but we certainly need to not have a catastrophic drop in fertility in a generation. 

Uh . . . how 'bout people themselves by not being lazy asses and retiring when they reach 50 and by not spending beyond their means?

I don't understand your second question and only partly understand the rest of your points. "Value of money"? What are you, some sort of econ teacher?

Social security and other pension systems were developed to allow people to have some income for a decade or so after they became too old to continue work. The problem with such systems these days is people are living longer yet so many are retiring at ages only minimally higher than their grandparents.

On your final point, I'm not sure we disagree to any great extent. To clarify my position, it's that this planet has enough if not an excess of people already so media columns bemoaning a static population worldwide are being alarmist.

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I don't know happycamper's political stance and I'm sure I sound to some like a Republican but retirement for everyone 2-3 decades prior to their statistical age expectancy is simply economically unsustainable.

My apology for the digression but here's an example. I played men's softball two nights a week for many years then stopped for about a decade because I didn't have the time. A year before COVID hit, I started playing "senior" softball one night a week in a 55 and over league. One guy on my team who was still fit enough to do so was 78. Yeah, no shit. He had an engineering degree from Northwestern and IIRC, worked for Lockheed for 25 years and then retired at 50 under the defined benefit pension plan that company then had. I don't begrudge the guy in the slightest for taking advantage of that benefit but how in the world did people actually think a pension plan that lucrative could be sustainable? (Quite clearly the guy could have still worked productively into his sixties.)

9 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Uh . . . how 'bout people themselves by not being lazy asses and retiring when they reach 50 and by not spending beyond their means?

lmfao absolutely not. In every case when you stop working you are being supported by people who are still working. You cease producing goods and services and people take your money and investments on good faith. It works out when there's about the same or a slowly growing amount of goods and services; as you work, you support retired people as part of your production until it's your turn. 

Now think about what happens to money when there's a sharp decline in production of goods and services at the same time as a sharp increase in demand. Your investments are gone, because profits have plummeted. Your money is worth far less than it used to be, because the total monetary supply hasn't changed but the amount of goods and services have gone down, and the price of the services you want - mostly medical - have risen far above inflation, because there's less doctors, less nurses, and more patients. You're competing with your generation.

Either you gotta go back to work, or you go bankrupt and die early. 

I don't understand your second question and only partly understand the rest of your points. "Value of money"? What are you, some sort of econ teacher?

we're talking about the economy so why the hell wouldn't I discuss the economy?

Social security and other pension systems were developed to allow people to have some income for a decade or so after they became too old to continue work. The problem with such systems these days is people are living longer yet so many are retiring at ages only minimally higher than their grandparents.

sure. But even the money they are measured in stops mattering if productivity drops low enough. 

On your final point, I'm not sure we disagree to any great extent. To clarify my position, it's that this planet has enough if not an excess of people already so media columns bemoaning a static population worldwide are being alarmist.

It isn't so much the static population, it's a tight squeeze of kids being born. If the alpha generation is 2/3 the size of the millennial generation, we're going to have a nightmare of a time. If that trend continues, our entire system collapses. Capitalism depends on increasing returns to allow for investments to make sense, for loans to make sense, for the flow of, well capital. We increase our production slightly every year through new technology, but if our working population drops more precipitously than our productivity increases... hold on to your butts. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

41 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So soupslam is calling poor people stupid.  Good to know.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Got news for some of y'all. You go as we go to a large extent. We live in a society where systems are communal. 

You get your society news the same place some ppl get their positive law news.

"Society" = a unicorn and rainbows way to describe a company. It's kind of hard for a company to be communal.

Here's the real news. The mob is in control of the systems. After they get done maxing out everyone's credit, they're going to torch the place and then cash in on the insurance policy.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

3 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

You get your society news the same place some ppl get their positive law news.

"Society" = a unicorn and rainbows way to describe a company. It's kind of hard for a company to be communal.

Here's the real news. The mob is in control of the systems. After they get done maxing out everyone's credit, they're going to torch the place and then cash in on the insurance policy.

jesus christ maynard have you every read a single book

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I read the book you wrote on being a belligerent jackass. Can't say I'm looking forward to any further tomes.

I've read several French books

Société literally translates as company, you know, where we pulled "Society" from?

I've also read all the documents that show every level of SOCIETY is a f/cking corporation  you bleeding moron. 

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

jesus christ maynard have you ever read a single book not written by a cult leader?

Fify

I put him on ignore long ago.  Why bother

3 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

I read the book you wrote on being a belligerent jackass. Can't say I'm looking forward to any further tomes.

I've read several French books

Société literally translates as company, you know, where we pulled "Society" from?

I've also read all the documents that show every level of SOCIETY is a f/cking corporation  you bleeding moron. 

Okay, society is a company and the supreme court are Satanists. Whatever. Doesn't change a got dang thing.