Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Is NMSU Staying Indy in FB or Going FCS WAC?

After losing by almost 30 to a d2 school and barely squeezing another I don’t think NMSU football will be successful at any level. The WAC will be a solid regional league for NMSU, but I can understand them wanting to keep the rivalries with NM and UTEP.

If they were to join, Maybe in time their football would be competitive in the WAC. But it looks like it would be a tough transition.

13 hours ago, bigd said:

After losing by almost 30 to a d2 school and barely squeezing another I don’t think NMSU football will be successful at any level. The WAC will be a solid regional league for NMSU, but I can understand them wanting to keep the rivalries with NM and UTEP.

If they were to join, Maybe in time their football would be competitive in the WAC. But it looks like it would be a tough transition.

Yes, the team didn't play for over a year in a pandemic and when they did it was a glorified spring scrimmage where the coach said he would essentially play everybody.  And he did.  To answer the question on the thread, NMSU is staying FBS.  The link below shows future schedules.  As far as the WAC moving to FBS, who knows.  I guess we'll see what happens next few years.  I do like the additions for basketball, which really helped stabilize the conference for years to come for oly sports.  If there is conference chaos again, the WAC is in a much stronger position moving forward to absorb one or two schools moving,  which i still think is highly unlikely.  Honestly though,  the BSU/SDSU/UNLV might be moving by random guys tweeting in cars is more interesting to talk about on this forum.  And why NDSU should be the next pick of course.

You hit the nail on the had with UNM and UTEP, and you can throw in playing MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt teams in general.  No one would voluntarily want to play regional FCS schools versus FBS schools.  NMSU is a basketball school first and foremost.  Every once in awhile they do have decent football seasons though, like beating MWC USU in 2017 bowl game, where we swept our rivals UNM and UTEP as well.  Beating  FCS schools just doesn't have the same ring to it.  Idaho is the only school that has made the move down in recent history and it hasn't worked out well as far as i can tell.  I would hate to see NMSU do the same thing.  

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

17 hours ago, alum93 said:

Yes, the team didn't play for over a year in a pandemic and when they did it was a glorified spring scrimmage where the coach said he would essentially play everybody.  And he did.  To answer the question on the thread, NMSU is staying FBS.  The link below shows future schedules.  As far as the WAC moving to FBS, who knows.  I guess we'll see what happens next few years.  I do like the additions for basketball, which really helped stabilize the conference for years to come for oly sports.  If there is conference chaos again, the WAC is in a much stronger position moving forward to absorb one or two schools moving,  which i still think is highly unlikely.  Honestly though,  the BSU/SDSU/UNLV might be moving by random guys tweeting in cars is more interesting to talk about on this forum.  And why NDSU should be the next pick of course.

You hit the nail on the had with UNM and UTEP, and you can throw in playing MWC, CUSA, and Sun Belt teams in general.  No one would voluntarily want to play regional FCS schools versus FBS schools.  NMSU is a basketball school first and foremost.  Every once in awhile they do have decent football seasons though, like beating MWC USU in 2017 bowl game, where we swept our rivals UNM and UTEP as well.  Beating  FCS schools just doesn't have the same ring to it.  Idaho is the only school that has made the move down in recent history and it hasn't worked out well as far as i can tell.  I would hate to see NMSU do the same thing.  

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/new-mexico-state/

Well if UNLV, SDSU, and Boise leave for the AAC then you guys would likely be MW-bound haha.

NMSU did a study when the Sun Belt booted them and they are staying FBS.  With body bag games and multiple games against the MWC every year (thanks guys), we are able to stay Indy.

When the WAC announced the new incoming schools, during the press conference they also mentioned that all FCS teams in the WAC would conduct feasibility studies regarding a move up to FBS.  UTRGV is also looking to add FB.  The WAC also holds an FBS charter and could start up FBS again with little issue.  So it is conceivable that the WAC could become an FBS conference at some point.  A gal can always dream, right?  Now if you all want to extend us an invite...