Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

4 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Racist?

I’d say at most your statement is woefully ignorant.  The majority of college students don’t have their tuition paid by their parents. Maybe you were also trolling, no clue on this site anymore. 

• Facepalm 1
58 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Don't most parents pay for their children's college education? :shrug:

A lot do, but mine didnt.  Never had the money. I put myself thru TCU. And when they were in better shape financially, they helped my sister go to Winona State in Minnesota.  And with both of my parents headed to assisted living in the not to distant future, we are returning the favor and taking care of them now. 

And I've been blessed enough that when the time comes, Ill be able to pay it forward and help my daughter with college.  Although if she wants to go to TCU, the password is 'scholarship'. 😉

Like I said...stunner has been slipping.  More than a little bitter, too, perhaps.

This is one of the odder thread hijackings I have seen, though.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Male privileged elitist and possibly racist thing to say.  I put the / to leave it open to and/or.

Why is it any of those things?

I think it's a pretty normal thing. My parents put 3 through college and I'm currently helping put 3 thru, with one more to go.

Will you expect your children to do it all on their own?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Why is it any of those things?

I think it's a pretty normal thing. My parents put 3 through college and I'm currently helping put 3 thru, with one more to go.

Will you expect your children to do it all on their own?

Wow.  You need to check yourself and your privilege.  Unbelievable 

• Facepalm 1
25 minutes ago, KayakArmada said:

I’d say at most your statement is woefully ignorant.  The majority of college students don’t have their tuition paid by their parents. Maybe you were also trolling, no clue on this site anymore. 

Wasn't trolling, see above. 

I think it's a pretty normal thing for parents to pay, or at least help pay, for their children's education. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

What the hell is "privledged" about helping your children?

Won't you help yours? Or would that mean they're privileged?

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What the hell is "privledged" about helping your children?

Won't you help yours? Or would that mean they're privileged?

It's one thing to pony up a little cash if the kid is short on rent, it's totally different to "pay their way".  I paid my own way through CSU, my dad paid his own way through Notre Dame.  My brother and his wife paid their own way through CSU (he has a masters, she has a Phd.).  Both of my sisters paid their own way through CU.  I know very few people who didn't pay for their own college either through loans or jobs (and usually a combination of the two).  I'm not going to go privileged, or especially "racist" on you, but your making some assumptions that just don't hold water.  Most folks don't get their education covered by mom and dad.  My folks were absolutely in a position to cover college for me, and they refused.  Looking back, I'm thankful for that.  At the time, I didn't get it.  Now I do, and so do my kids.

• Cheers 1

My son is a senior now.  Every kid I know going to college is going to be highly subsidized by their parents.  I'm not sure this is normal but in my circle that is what's happening.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, packNV said:

My son is a senior now.  Every kid I know going to college is going to be highly subsidized by their parents.  I'm not sure this is normal but in my circle that is what's happening.

Does your circle have any extra silver spoons I could borrow? 

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The UNR vs UNLV rivalry in basketball and football has never been more even and competitive.    Reno vs Las Vegas. 

It's a good regional fit.

Honestly, the MWC has some decent rivalries.   But in-state rivalries are always the best.

SJSU---FRESNO  (these two schools have a thing for each other)

UNLV---UNR

WYO---CSU (pseudo in-state rivalry)

BOISE---USU (potato rivalry)

No natural in-conference rivals

SDSU---(they had a rivalry with BYU)

UNM---their rival is NMSU

AFA---their rival is Navy and Army

BOISE---(they have a current rivalry with BYU. but in the past had a thing with Reno and Fresno, when they were in the same division)

SJSU v Fresno is the second most played rivalry game in the MWC behind CSU v WYO. Lots of history in the Valley rivalry. 

3 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

@renoskier didn't say anything racist or ignorant. I went to Oak ridge High School in Tennessee and most of the kids who go there I  can guarantee their parents had the money to pay for the first year of school. But, my last two years I went to West High on Knoxville. I'd say almost all of these kids got in with loans and grants.

Plus, older generations probably had to have their parents pay for their education.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

It's one thing to pony up a little cash if the kid is short on rent, it's totally different to "pay their way".  I paid my own way through CSU, my dad paid his own way through Notre Dame.  My brother and his wife paid their own way through CSU (he has a masters, she has a Phd.).  Both of my sisters paid their own way through CU.  I know very few people who didn't pay for their own college either through loans or jobs (and usually a combination of the two).  I'm not going to go privileged, or especially "racist" on you, but your making some assumptions that just don't hold water.  Most folks don't get their education covered by mom and dad.  My folks were absolutely in a position to cover college for me, and they refused.  Looking back, I'm thankful for that.  At the time, I didn't get it.  Now I do, and so do my kids.

If your parents had the means, why the heck wouldn’t they help pay for your undergraduate education?  I grew up in a blue collar town and most everyone I knew that went to college, their parents helped them to do that the best they could.  They were proud to do that. 

Most everyone I know that has a college education and a decent job helps their kids get through undergrad college these days.  They consider that their obligation as a parent to do so.  Taking responsibility for their own.  They’re not expecting the government to raise their kids. 

40 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Plus, older generations probably had to have their parents pay for their education.

You either got help from your family, worked your way through it on your own, GI credit, earned scholarships, took out loans, etc...... the government wasn’t helping anyone get a college education back in the day. 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:37 AM, Spaztecs said:

The only thing CSU has going for itself is the Denver TV market.

Then again, how many in the Mile High City give a shit about CS-Ewe sports let alone a potential CS-ewe/ Rice basketball game ?

:facepalm:

I said before I left the board for a while, I didn't think anything was gonna happen anytime soon. And this rumor is old. My first leak was from this crap.

There is nothing happening right now. As soon as I came back the dickheads started their crap so I was just messing with them.

There is a lot of chatter but it means nothing. My friend is back in Spokane so if I do have leaks they will be way more accurate like they were in the old days. There is nothing happening right now. It's been a boring off season to say the least.

Maybe I shouldn't of messed with them or teased them. But they don't like me anyway.

4 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

If your parents had the means, why the heck wouldn’t they help pay for your undergraduate education?  I grew up in a blue collar town and most everyone I knew that went to college, their parents helped them to do that the best they could. 

Most everyone I know that has a college education and a decent job helps their kids get through undergrad college these days.  They consider that their obligation as a parent to do so.  Taking responsibility for their own.  They’re not expecting the government to raise their kids. 

I got some help from the folks on occasion.  $100 bucks here and there when things got really tough, but that's not the point.  They expected me to make my own way in life, without charity.  I did.  I graduated college about $8,000 in debt.  I paid that off pretty quick.  I worked my ass off to pay for my degree.  The government didn't get the chance to make me a ward.  I'm OK with folks putting their kids through college, but I think putting yourself through college teaches you a hell of a lot more than college.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

Does your circle have any extra silver spoons I could borrow? 

Nice matching stainless...12/10 of course :ph34r:

4 hours ago, packNV said:

I’ve put two kids through college and my youngest is currently a Sophomore.  Grad school?  They were/are on their own.  I guess an SJSU education allowed me to do that. #1 most transformative University in the USA. 

Spartan Up!

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, RSF said:

A lot do, but mine didnt.  Never had the money. I put myself thru TCU. 

^^^ Trust Fund Kid claims he paid TCU Tuition?!

TCU Tuition is $51,000 per year....look it up.

There is no way normal kids can afford that, except if they work for their wealthy Daddy 

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

I agree.   

Most kids pay their own tuition and work to do it.

And spare me the tall tail that they are doing that at Schools like TCU....$51,000 per year Undergraduate tuition.  From their Summer Job!?!

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

Agree.