Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

It’s still not near as bad as CA.  I’ve looked into living in all the western states, and CO is a pretty good situation. 

Apparently, real estate prices in Boise, Idaho have gone through the roof due to fleeing California political refugees.

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

It's the trend.  Out of state tuition has become the new funding arm for paying professors.

Yep. It’s a serious mess in CA.  Not right that our own kids don’t get into the top UC’s and CSU’s because of this. CA residents are paying taxes their child’s entire life and then their kid gets denied. It’s messed up. I got lucky, my kids all got into the schools they wanted. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

20 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Apparently, real estate prices in Boise, Idaho have gone through the roof due to fleeing California political refugees.

Oh yeah....and many of those fleeing Californians are messing up the new place they move to with their CA money and culture.  It’s good for people that already have a house because the property value goes up. It’s bad for the next generation of kids in Boise because they can no longer afford to buy the same house their parents were able to. 

Welcome to what happened to CA.

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

The State of California should intervene...

The Universities should be there to benefit the taxpayers and educate Californians.   

Take foreign students, yes.. but "a lot", as you say, and California kids can't get accepted?  That's messed up.

Colleges in California are pretty hard to get into and many kids go out of state.   

The following schools are in the top 100 most selective colleges in the country 

Stanford 4%
Cal Tech 6%
Pomona College 7%
Claremont McKenna College 10%

USC 11%
UCLA 12%

Harvey Mudd 14%

Pitzer 14%
UC Berkeley 17%
Cal Institute of the Arts 23%

UCI 27%
Cal Poly SLO 28%

UCSB 30%   

it why if you want to go to a school with major college football you have to go out of state.  30% of TCU students are from CA. 

47 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think we are talking about different things. 

Annual tuition at UCLA is $13K

Annual tuition at TCU is $51K

Yes, talking about two different things but a local kid living at home and going to TCU is not much different than an out of town kid going to Cal. Both going to run you 50Kish a year. 

My daughters boyfriend goes to school at Santa Clara U and lives with family there and it costs about the same as my daughter going to a UC and living on campus.  Both are too expensive. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

6 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

30% of TCU students are from CA. 

Many Californians have the money to send their kids there. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

4 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Wow.  You need to check yourself and your privilege.  Unbelievable 

If you went to UNLV, I’d hope you’d be successful enough to be able to help your own kids through college. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

31 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Oh yeah....and many of those fleeing Californians are messing up the new place they move to with their CA money and culture.  It’s good for people that already have a house because the property value goes up. It’s bad for the next generation of kids in Boise because they can no longer afford to buy the same house their parents were able to. 

Welcome to what happened to CA.

Not to devolve this into the politics board but when you have foreigners using balance of payments money to buy hard assets instead of Treasury bonds this happens. 

This thread got hijacked. Best to quit while we’re ahead.  Sorry for contributing to the hijack.  Back to the topic of BSU leaving the MWC.  Carry on fellas. 

:OT:

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

26 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Colleges in California are pretty hard to get into and many kids go out of state.   

The following schools are in the top 100 most selective colleges in the country 

Stanford 4%
Cal Tech 6%
Pomona College 7%
Claremont McKenna College 10%

USC 11%
UCLA 12%

Harvey Mudd 14%

Pitzer 14%
UC Berkeley 17%
Cal Institute of the Arts 23%

UCI 27%
Cal Poly SLO 28%

UCSB 30%   

it why if you want to go to a school with major college football you have to go out of state.  30% of TCU students are from CA. 

I kinda like the idea of more students coming from out of state.  Gives that extra flavor.As far as hoops goes, UCI, Cal Poly and UCSB are recruiting outside California much more for basketball players now. 

Half of UCSB's roster this past season were non-Californians. It's even more if you consider three players who were born and raised overseas, and went to prep school in California. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

The State of California should intervene...

The Universities should be there to benefit the taxpayers and educate Californians.   

Take foreign students, yes.. but "a lot", as you say, and California kids can't get accepted?  That's messed up.

I disagree.  The universities should not suddenly change course and effectively say "Californians only." The last thing we need is to become a bubble.

6 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

I’d say at most your statement is woefully ignorant.  The majority of college students don’t have their tuition paid by their parents. Maybe you were also trolling, no clue on this site anymore. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edmit.me/blog/what-percentage-of-parents-pay-for-college%3fhs_amp=true

Looks like most students have the majority of their college expenses paid for by their parents.  The parents either pay for it or borrow for it with students also paying a smaller percentage portion themselves. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

This thread is nothing but wasted space.  There is no way that the AAC wants UNLV for football and all sports.  Football, really?  SDSU won't make the same mistake twice by following BSU to another conference.  SDSU would be another Hawaii if they had to travel across the country for all sports.  It would hurt them both financially and athletically.  As for BSU, it the AAC accepted them for football only, it would just be a lateral move going to the AAC and if BSU which has decent oly sports teams, dumping them in the Big Sky, they would just die a slow death and become irrelevant,  This would cripple recruiting for their oly sports.  In summation, this thread is useless.

1 hour ago, ashnel said:

This thread is nothing but wasted space.  There is no way that the AAC wants UNLV for football and all sports.  Football, really?  SDSU won't make the same mistake twice by following BSU to another conference.  SDSU would be another Hawaii if they had to travel across the country for all sports.  It would hurt them both financially and athletically.  As for BSU, it the AAC accepted them for football only, it would just be a lateral move going to the AAC and if BSU which has decent oly sports teams, dumping them in the Big Sky, they would just die a slow death and become irrelevant,  This would cripple recruiting for their oly sports.  In summation, this thread is useless.

I agree. The only way the travel would work is if the AAC added enough schools out west to keep rivalries and the travel costs down, but why would you need the AAC to do that? The money isn’t really different. It just makes no sense. If Boise wants some AAC games, they can schedule them like they have with UCF. 

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

For some reason, I thought you are still in Colorado.  Didn't realize you are a fellow New Mexican.

Cool that your son is a proud Lobo.

A few years ago at the MW tournament I sat next to a kid who had graduated from UNM.. he didn't have to pay a dime for his education, because he graduated from high school there. 

Boise & SD to the AAC makes sense.  If they would of stuck it out last time they would likely have a seat at the big table.  I would roll the dice for that shot again.  Not much to lose considering change will happen slowly with the playoff.  

7 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edmit.me/blog/what-percentage-of-parents-pay-for-college%3fhs_amp=true

Looks like most students have the majority of their college expenses paid for by their parents.  The parents either pay for it or borrow for it with students also paying a smaller percentage portion themselves. 

Only 70% of students go to some sort of college.  So right there you have 30% of parents who are paying NOTHING.

Out of the 70% that go to college, about 29% of parents pay for their childs entire college tuition.  So 20% (29% of 70%) of parents fully cover the total costs of their childs tuition.  20%, 1 out of 5 rich elite out of touch privileged likely white.

About 47% of parents pay some amount for their child who attends higher education.  Since we know only 70% of kids go on to some sort of higher education, that means that about 33% of parents are paying at least some small amount for higher education.  1 out of 3.

So, NO MOST Kids are not getting their parents to pay for college.  At the more prestigious Universities such as Michigan the number is somewhere in the low 60% range of parents that pay something.  Graduation rates are also higher for students who get financial help from their parents. 

15 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

No I am not mid 50's I am not anywhere near 50!

A new National Conference will have to be formed in the next few years for College Playoff purposes and to maximize profit for the elite programs in the country that have mistakenly been left out of the major conferences.  By joining together they will form a conference with better overall cities than many of the so called power conferences, better road trips, better TV numbers and more excitement with the National layout of the conference.

UNLV, SDSU, BYU, Boise, New Mexico, Colorado State, Houston and SMU should be the basis for the Western portion of the new conference.

Options

If you want to start small: just invite Memphis, Cincinnati and Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

If you want to go medium All Sports: Invite Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF (6 West/6 East)

If you want to go Medium/Large with a Mix:  Invite Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Gonzaga, Wichita State

If you want to go Large All Sports:  Invite Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Fresno, Hawaii, Tulsa, Tulane (8 West/8 East)

If you want to go Large with a Mix:  Invite Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Fresno, Tulsa, Gonzaga, Wichita State (14 Football/16 Basketball)

If you want to go Extra Large:  Invite Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Fresno, Hawaii, Tulsa, Tulane, Gonzaga & Wichita State (16 Football/18 Basketball)

I prefer the small option but could live with the medium or medium/large mix.

power_11.conference.png.0869259f643eda2e73a4b8c84b60e8ff.png

We know how old you are.  The time you dropped 50 points against Rancho in that JV instant classic is the stuff of legend.  Dec, 8th, 1979, wasn't it?

8 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

This thread got hijacked. Best to quit while we’re ahead.  Sorry for contributing to the hijack.  Back to the topic of BSU leaving the MWC.  Carry on fellas. 

:OT:

Do you even MWC Board!? :foottap:

besides, this is just another of an endless line of "realignment" threads, they deserve to be hijacked...it's our duty 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We know how old you are.  The time you dropped 50 points against Rancho in that JV instant classic is the stuff of legend.  Dec, 8th, 1979, wasn't it?

I was 4 years old in 1979.  I am pretty sure I could have scored on Rancho though!