Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It depends on if you mean being in it today or being in the aac once the dust settles.  The former could be argued by stubborn people that it’s not worth the move..not successfully in my estimation but there’s an argument there nonetheless.  If we’re talking about the latter then it’s a no brainer benefit for any team not in one of the power 5 conferences.

A no brainer?  How so? The AAC is the top G5 right now, but that is cyclical and will change. 

This whole P6 thing is more of joke than when one of your programs claimed to be a nat'l champion. 

If the B12 expands and Houston and perhaps another program leaves, you guys are conference USA 2.0. 

It's much easier and preferable for the P5's to destroy the AAC than it is to give them a seat at the big boy table.  It just takes an invitation or two. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner

Being in the AAC for non-football would suck!

So, for example, if BYU had an in-conference basketball game played against UCF, USF, Temple, etc.... and those games were scheduled for 7 p.m. Eastern, that means that the games would be played at 4 p.m. Pacific...

A big chunk of BYU's fanbase would not even get to watch the Basketball games, as they'd still be at work. 

PASS.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think the only reason BYU would join a conference at this point is if it was guaranteed access to the expanded playoff. 

Yeah, the 4-game playoff is only intended for about 10 blue blood programs / schools, anyway.

If it expands to 8-12 teams, I guess we'll have to see the parameters.  

My guess is that they would probably set it up so it is 5 autobids for the P5, and 3 at large bids for the next highest ranked schools. 

If the 2nd place SEC team is ranked 2nd in the polls, and the second place BIG12 team is 6th, and Notre Dame is 7th.....do you think anyone is going to be OK with No. 23 Boise getting an autobid?  Probably not. 

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

2 guys isnt much of a bump.  And in the case of Penny, with the offers he got a BE invite wasnt exactly stealing him.

Picked SDSU over offers from Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada, San Jose State and Utah State

Utah recruits the shit out of Florida. But we haven’t set foot in that state for a game in like never.

You don’t need conference affiliation to get what you want.

10 minutes ago, RSF said:

Picked SDSU over offers from Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada, San Jose State and Utah State

You don't think we lose recruits to MW schools regularly? You can see the BE class when you look at our recruiting rankings on 24/7 year to year. We have only one class between 2009 and last year ranked below 70 or higher, and it was the class that was committing when we were connected to the BE. 

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

Utah recruits the shit out of Florida. But we haven’t set foot in that state for a game in like never.

You don’t need conference affiliation to get what you want.

P5 status and a winning tradition does a lot for that...that's not the reality for MW schools. 

6 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It's much easier and preferable for the P5's to destroy the AAC than it is to give them a seat at the big boy table.  It just takes an invitation or two. 

The AAC and MWC are both intimitely familiar with that...although in the case of the AAC, they dont like to admit they are already CUSA 2.0 so they wont see it that way.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, utenation said:

We recruited Florida before P5 status 

Yeah, and you guys were Boise before Boise was Boise. Boise is the only school in the MW who recruits at a high level in the conf. But for any other school in the conf, games in the South East region of the us would probably help recruiting improve over current. Not saying it's worth the move, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

I'm talking about CBS / FOX vs ESPN / ESPN+

I don't care for ESPN+.   I like the other 3.

ESPN+ has very little exposure.   More power to AAC fans if they love ESPN+

Very little is on ESPN + and I understand the reticence about it-I wasn’t happy about it either at first but it turned out to not really be a big factor.  I view a lot of athletics and the only time ive been on ESPN+ it was for baseball and was higher quality production that what it was on cbs sports previously.  CBS sports and fox sports/Bally’s are much lower quality than ESPN/abc.  You’ll get more big matchups/time slots in the aac.  I mean, if you’re okay with the status quo then enjoy boca raton games against 5th place aac teams!

44 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU can already schedule whoever it wants, including the AAC. 

It doesn't need to join the AAC to play games there, or recruit there. 

I think most BYU fans would enjoy scheduling Houston and SMU on a regular basis.   The rest of the AAC is fun to play every once in a while. 

Navy is more exciting than Houston or smu in the west.. the top eastern teams are more exciting than any of the west teams in the conference.  You’re silly.

42 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

A no brainer?  How so? The AAC is the top G5 right now, but that is cyclical and will change. 

This whole P6 thing is more of joke than when one of your programs claimed to be a nat'l champion. 

If the B12 expands and Houston and perhaps another program leaves, you guys are conference USA 2.0. 

Regardless, there’ll have to be a best of the rest conference, and that’s what’s in discussion today.  You really don’t need to tell a UCF guy about the impending realignment at the p5 level.   

40 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Recruiting recruiting recruiting. In the wake of SDSU's Big East invite we landed Pumphrey and then Penny. Not sure we would see the same recruiting bump as before, but I can tell you it was real at the time. You can basically trace a line back from our consecutive CCGs to the BE invite and resulting recruiting.

SDSU also began getting a smattering of kids from Florida which hadn't been happening before. As an example, the 2021 class includes a TE from that state. And I'm sure having Jeff Horton on the staff has been mainly responsible but SDSU's recruiting of Texas as improved significantly in the last decade.

1 hour ago, since1670 said:

If BYU joined the AAC, it would:

1. Get more exposure to great recruiting areas.
2. Play for a conference championship. Players love to win championships.
   It's something real for their hard work.
3. Get a path to playoff games.
4. Give church members in high population areas an event.
5. Spread the word playing in high population areas. Leaders approve.
6. It does not restrict to a P5 conference. It might help.

1. BYU pretty much recruits the same regardless of conference. It's a limited recruiting base.

2. Nobody cares who wins G5 leagues.

3. Please list all the playoff games the American champion has participated in. I'll wait.

4. BYU fans go to games wherever they are on the road in large numbers. It's irrelevant if that's Houston, Arizona, California, or Boston. BYU has played in many venues bigger and more relevant than most AAC venues.

5. See 4

6. P6 isn't a thing. BYU will be indy unless they join a P5 league. Being the best G5 and possibly qualifying for a playoff spot is the only incentive to join a league.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

5 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Very little is on ESPN +

Bullshit.  Even in a year when not everybody was playing at once, AAC had 15 football games on ESPN+...including UCF vs Houston.  That number will go up in '21.

6 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I view a lot of athletics and the only time ive been on ESPN+ it was for baseball and was higher quality production that what it was on cbs sports previously.  CBS sports and fox sports/Bally’s are much lower quality than ESPN/abc.  Y

More bullshit.  Whole of lot AAC basketball, including half of UCF's games.  Guess you dont watch a lot of athletics. 

7 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You’ll get more big matchups/time slots in the aac.  

Big time.  Thats funny.

8 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I mean, if you’re okay with the status quo then enjoy boca raton games against 5th place aac teams!

Where they can beat the shit out of the likes of UCF.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.