Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

My son is a senior now.  Every kid I know going to college is going to be highly subsidized by their parents.  I'm not sure this is normal but in my circle that is what's happening.

2 minutes ago, packNV said:

My son is a senior now.  Every kid I know going to college is going to be highly subsidized by their parents.  I'm not sure this is normal but in my circle that is what's happening.

Does your circle have any extra silver spoons I could borrow? 

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The UNR vs UNLV rivalry in basketball and football has never been more even and competitive.    Reno vs Las Vegas. 

It's a good regional fit.

Honestly, the MWC has some decent rivalries.   But in-state rivalries are always the best.

SJSU---FRESNO  (these two schools have a thing for each other)

UNLV---UNR

WYO---CSU (pseudo in-state rivalry)

BOISE---USU (potato rivalry)

No natural in-conference rivals

SDSU---(they had a rivalry with BYU)

UNM---their rival is NMSU

AFA---their rival is Navy and Army

BOISE---(they have a current rivalry with BYU. but in the past had a thing with Reno and Fresno, when they were in the same division)

SJSU v Fresno is the second most played rivalry game in the MWC behind CSU v WYO. Lots of history in the Valley rivalry. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

It's one thing to pony up a little cash if the kid is short on rent, it's totally different to "pay their way".  I paid my own way through CSU, my dad paid his own way through Notre Dame.  My brother and his wife paid their own way through CSU (he has a masters, she has a Phd.).  Both of my sisters paid their own way through CU.  I know very few people who didn't pay for their own college either through loans or jobs (and usually a combination of the two).  I'm not going to go privileged, or especially "racist" on you, but your making some assumptions that just don't hold water.  Most folks don't get their education covered by mom and dad.  My folks were absolutely in a position to cover college for me, and they refused.  Looking back, I'm thankful for that.  At the time, I didn't get it.  Now I do, and so do my kids.

If your parents had the means, why the heck wouldn’t they help pay for your undergraduate education?  I grew up in a blue collar town and most everyone I knew that went to college, their parents helped them to do that the best they could.  They were proud to do that. 

Most everyone I know that has a college education and a decent job helps their kids get through undergrad college these days.  They consider that their obligation as a parent to do so.  Taking responsibility for their own.  They’re not expecting the government to raise their kids. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

40 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Plus, older generations probably had to have their parents pay for their education.

You either got help from your family, worked your way through it on your own, GI credit, earned scholarships, took out loans, etc...... the government wasn’t helping anyone get a college education back in the day. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

4 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

If your parents had the means, why the heck wouldn’t they help pay for your undergraduate education?  I grew up in a blue collar town and most everyone I knew that went to college, their parents helped them to do that the best they could. 

Most everyone I know that has a college education and a decent job helps their kids get through undergrad college these days.  They consider that their obligation as a parent to do so.  Taking responsibility for their own.  They’re not expecting the government to raise their kids. 

I got some help from the folks on occasion.  $100 bucks here and there when things got really tough, but that's not the point.  They expected me to make my own way in life, without charity.  I did.  I graduated college about $8,000 in debt.  I paid that off pretty quick.  I worked my ass off to pay for my degree.  The government didn't get the chance to make me a ward.  I'm OK with folks putting their kids through college, but I think putting yourself through college teaches you a hell of a lot more than college.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, RSF said:

A lot do, but mine didnt.  Never had the money. I put myself thru TCU. 

^^^ Trust Fund Kid claims he paid TCU Tuition?!

TCU Tuition is $51,000 per year....look it up.

There is no way normal kids can afford that, except if they work for their wealthy Daddy 

4 hours ago, packNV said:

I’ve put two kids through college and my youngest is currently a Sophomore.  Grad school?  They were/are on their own.  I guess an SJSU education allowed me to do that. #1 most transformative University in the USA. 

Spartan Up!

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

Wow.  You need to check yourself and your privilege.  Unbelievable 

I agree.   

Most kids pay their own tuition and work to do it.

And spare me the tall tail that they are doing that at Schools like TCU....$51,000 per year Undergraduate tuition.  From their Summer Job!?!

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, KayakArmada said:

I’d say at most your statement is woefully ignorant.  The majority of college students don’t have their tuition paid by their parents. Maybe you were also trolling, no clue on this site anymore. 

Agree.

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I got some help from the folks on occasion.  $100 bucks here and there when things got really tough, but that's not the point.  They expected me to make my own way in life, without charity.  I did.  I graduated college about $8,000 in debt.  I paid that off pretty quick.  I worked my ass off to pay for my degree.  The government didn't get the chance to make me a ward.  I'm OK with folks putting their kids through college, but I think putting yourself through college teaches you a hell of a lot more than college.

we all had different experiences...

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I said before I left the board for a while, I didn't think anything was gonna happen anytime soon. And this rumor is old. My first leak was from this crap.

There is nothing happening right now. As soon as I came back the dickheads started their crap so I was just messing with them.

There is a lot of chatter but it means nothing. My friend is back in Spokane so if I do have leaks they will be way more accurate like they were in the old days. There is nothing happening right now. It's been a boring off season to say the least.

Maybe I shouldn't of messed with them or teased them. But they don't like me anyway.

What about at Boise State.

Most kids at Boise are not wealthy and have to work hard 

I have no problem with that.  Working your way through is good. 

I worked most of my time while at college and every summer. Only when I was a senior I didn’t work because I needed to concentrate 100% on school.  I always paid for my tuition and books but my parents paid for housing and living expenses (which have always been expensive in CA).  I was a first generation college student in my blue collar family. My parents were proud to help me get through. 

My kids worked some in college and every summer but mostly to have their own money to spend.  My wife and I paid their tuition and living expenses. Because of that they were able to do internships etc...that helped them far more on their career paths than the jobs I had while in school.  Of course things today are far more training specific than they were in my day, at least in California where the competition for good jobs can be fierce. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Guest #1Stunner
25 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I see you weren't born with a Silver Spoon in your mouth.   Kudos to working hard and being self sufficient.

The MWC really has a grouping of similarly situated schools and fanbases.  This Conference should have "Hard Work" as a motto...

Compare that to the WCC.  Most of those schools are extremely expensive, with a lot of rich entitled kids.  It was a shock to read their annual tuition.  They aren't bad folks, but they certainly fit the stereotype of old money and "Privilege".

There should be more unity and pride in the MWC.  This Conference is as good or better than the AAC.

It's one thing to pony up a little cash if the kid is short on rent, it's totally different to "pay their way".  I paid my own way through CSU, my dad paid his own way through Notre Dame.  My brother and his wife paid their own way through CSU (he has a masters, she has a Phd.).  Both of my sisters paid their own way through CU.  I know very few people who didn't pay for their own college either through loans or jobs (and usually a combination of the two).  I'm not going to go privileged, or especially "racist" on you, but your making some assumptions that just don't hold water.  Most folks don't get their education covered by mom and dad.  My folks were absolutely in a position to cover college for me, and they refused.  Looking back, I'm thankful for that.  At the time, I didn't get it.  Now I do, and so do my kids.

College is significantly more expensive than when we were young and student loan debt cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.  Expecting them to contribute a reasonable amount is fine but you can easily saddle your child with a boat anchor for life.   

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

^^^ Trust Fund Kid claims he paid TCU Tuition?!

TCU Tuition is $51,000 per year....look it up.

There is no way normal kids can afford that, except if they work for their wealthy Daddy 

Or take out loans.  It’s scary how many kids get into big time debt going to a school they really can’t afford. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

College is significantly more expensive than when we were young and student loan debt cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.  Expecting them to contribute a reasonable amount is fine but you can easily saddle your child with a boat anchor for life.   

Joe Biden is calling for free junior college tuition.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Or take out loans.  It’s scary how many kids get into big time debt going to a school they really can’t afford. 

See above...

President Joe Biden has called for free Jr College for all Americans and Non- Americans residing in America (dreamers).

Some critics have claimed this idea is racist and dooms poor folk to having to attend less prestigious junior colleges, while rich kids attend expensive schools like TCU.... But, hey, it's free.  Beggers can't be choosers.

9 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I agree with this.  College loan debt today is scary. Why? Kids going to expensive colleges to earn far too expensive meaningless degrees.  Recipe for disaster. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!