Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

On 5/6/2021 at 3:54 PM, #1Stunner said:

For Basketball and Olympic Sports, it is way, way better to have a regionally close conference.  

Some folks on here act like SDSU can be playing men's and women's sports against East Carolina, Navy, USF, and UCF....really?   That's 3 time zones and a bunch of travel away. 

Zactly why they were going to park their Olys in the BW a decade or so back.

To me, every team in this conference is in exactly the right conference for the right reasons. Even hard to please Blase.

It's hard enough and expensive getting the Men's and Women's golf squads or gymnastics teams to Laradise and Ogden.  But such exotic and remote destinations such as Greenville, Annapolis, or even Tulsa will be even more difficult and expensive.

Even the allure of Orlando's world class beaches isn't enough of a draw for an MW school.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

6 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Big whoop, UNLV scheduled USC too! It's the same story every season for BYU: middling PAC-12 squads (maybe 1 big boi) and then it's the MWC reunion tour (Boise, SDSU, USU, UNLV, Hawaii etc)

BYU is basically still a MWC school in football. They just left the conference so they wouldn't be obligated to go to Wyoming and their shitty dining options ever again. (Sorry @Wyovanian )

You'll please excuse BYU for not scheduling a murderer's row of schools like UNLV's nonconference lineup the last few years:

UNLV: (Southern) Utah, Arkansas (State), Northwestern

BYU: Utah, Tennessee, USC, Washington

UNLV: USC, Texas (El Paso), Prairie View, Arkansas (State)

BYU: Arizona, California, Wisconsin, Washington, Utah

UNLV: Howard, Idaho, Ohio State

BYU: LSU, Utah, Wisconsin, Mississippi State

UNLV: Jackson State, UCLA, (Central) Michigan, Idaho

BYU: Arizona, Utah, UCLA, West Virginia, Michigan State, Mississippi State

2015:

UNLV: (Northern) Illinois, UCLA, Michigan, Idaho State

BYU: Nebraska, UCLA, Michigan, Missouri

Just now, Pelado said:

You'll please excuse BYU for not scheduling a murderer's row of schools like UNLV's nonconference lineup the last few years:

UNLV: (Southern) Utah, Arkansas (State), Northwestern

BYU: Utah, Tennessee, USC, Washington

UNLV: USC, Texas (El Paso), Prairie View, Arkansas (State)

BYU: Arizona, California, Wisconsin, Washington, Utah

UNLV: Howard, Idaho, Ohio State

BYU: LSU, Utah, Wisconsin, Mississippi State

UNLV: Jackson State, UCLA, (Central) Michigan, Idaho

BYU: Arizona, Utah, UCLA, West Virginia, Michigan State, Mississippi State

2015:

UNLV: (Northern) Illinois, UCLA, Michigan, Idaho State

BYU: Nebraska, UCLA, Michigan, Missouri

Looks pretty even to me!

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 5/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, #1Stunner said:

I wasn't joking.

The MWC has a more appealing TV Contract than the AAC.  

If the AAC didn't have so many of their games on ESPN+, maybe you would have a point.   But ESPN+ sucks.

CBSSports and FS2, where the vast majority of MW games reside,  ain't much to write home about.

Americans Mayor

On 5/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

SDSU does not need to recruit much outside of CA. They are not one of the mountain schools without a recruiting base.  Plenty of talent right at their fingertips. 

Is that why they recruit Texas like it was their backyard ?

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

CBSSports and FS2, where the vast majority of MW games reside,  ain't much to write home about.

I don’t mind FS2.  I hate CBSsports 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Is that why they recruit Texas like it was their backyard ?

I guess you have to go to Texas if you can’t recruit your own backyard.  

#Shield the Bay

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

I had thought that there might be something to Boise leaving until I saw that Greg Flugar and his imaginary friend (Big Ten Man) endorsed the move.  They say it will happen, therefore it is all a lie.

On 5/6/2021 at 12:02 PM, RebelRobert said:

Use your f%&kin head as far as UNLV is concerned.

When UNLV wins (Top 50 NET/RPI program) in Basketball we average 14,000+ fans.

When UNLV finally starts winning in Football (Top 40 team) we will average 40,000+ in Football in the best stadium in the country.

Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the world.  UNLV is Arizona State but fun.  Would any conference want Arizona State?  That is UNLV 20 years from now.

Use your brain.

7FC93C16-0BC2-40AF-8A67-E67FFD053D8C.jpeg

19 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Big whoop, UNLV scheduled USC too! It's the same story every season for BYU: middling PAC-12 squads (maybe 1 big boi) and then it's the MWC reunion tour (Boise, SDSU, USU, UNLV, Hawaii etc)

BYU is basically still a MWC school in football. They just left the conference so they wouldn't be obligated to go to Wyoming and their shitty dining options ever again. (Sorry @Wyovanian )

No, they’re recognized in scheduling as a P5 with the Big 10, for example. They’ve had some down years recently, but I think they’re generally a B+ to C- grade P5. 

kat.jpg

On 5/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, #1Stunner said:

BYU has an ESPN deal.

Hard pass on the AAC's ESPN+ deal....

That would be a downgrade.  No one cares about ESPN+, since there are no quality conferences on that network.

At least the MWC went with Fox.

The sec utilizes ESPN +, your head is way too deep in that Utah dirt.

3 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Stunner is a tool.  And in his prime a grade A troll.

But at least he knows what channel is own team plays on.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

19 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

They went independent because Utah left them behind in the MW. That was not acceptable, if Utah didn't leave, BYU would still be here as well. 

Guest #1Stunner
35 minutes ago, RSF said:

Stunner is a tool.  And in his prime a grade A troll.

But at least he knows what channel is own team plays on.

RSF is a Trust Fund kid that used his Dad's money to attend Texas Christian University----basically the same as all non-athletes at TCU.

(Undergrad Tuition is $51,000 per year to attend that school)

Most people in the MWC or even BYU don't relate to the Trust Fund Kid mentality, as most here are self-made......TCU tuition is a foreign concept. 

But hell... Texas Christian is in the BIG12, so I'm not sure why we is arguing with a lowly AAC fan.    AAC G5.  

Guest #1Stunner
35 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

SEC utilizes ESPN+ for their underwater basket weaving contests....  Their real stuff is on the major networks. 

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Same for aac.

Nonsense.

AAC football is synonymous with ESPN+ now.  

It is a bad idea... The only folks who subscribe to ESPN+ are middle aged guys, like @RebelRobert

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Nonsense.

AAC football is synonymous with ESPN+ now.  

It is a bad idea... The only folks who subscribe to ESPN+ are middle aged guys, like @RebelRobert

Disney announced last year that they were going to merge ESPN+ with Hulu and their 40 million subscribers.

The Walt Disney Company announced that its sports streaming service ESPN+ had 12.1 million U.S. subscribers at the end of its first fiscal quarter of 2021. The service accumulated a good number of subscribers since Disney's first fiscal quarter of 2019, growing its subscriber base from 1.4 million to over 12 million since then.

Pretty sure I am not the only one watching.  50 million people with access to ESPN+ now and growing.  And I am not middle aged.