Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

59 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

You don't think we lose recruits to MW schools regularly? You can see the BE class when you look at our recruiting rankings on 24/7 year to year. We have only one class between 2009 and last year ranked below 70 or higher, and it was the class that was committing when we were connected to the BE. 

SDSU does not need to recruit much outside of CA. They are not one of the mountain schools without a recruiting base.  Plenty of talent right at their fingertips. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

SDSU does not need to recruit much outside of CA. They are not one of the mountain schools without a recruiting base.  Plenty of talent right at their fingertips. 

When the MWC had a Texas School, it definitely helped with Texas recruiting.

Probably helped other schools.   High School Football in California is oddly become less popular.  

10 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

We usually get a few kids from Texas each year. Yeah CA will always be the main recruiting base, but Texas and Louisiana have been good to SDSU. 

31 minutes ago, Maccoog said:

On the subject of the ESPN+ deal, I have the Disney + package which includes ESPN+. The Marvel content alone is worth the monthly fee. (WandaVison, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, etc.)

Exactly.  Everyone is switching to streaming and with the Disney, Hulu & ESPN+ package it is a must have for anyone streaming.

I use YouTube TV for sports.  HBOMAX comes with my AT&T cell phone package along with AT&T WatchTV.  Prime Video for anyone who uses Amazon, which I do.

I pay for AppleTV+ and Netflix so I am loaded up with options to watch anything and everything. 

Add in Torrents on my computer along with Kodi and I am able to watch anything I want sports wise.

I thought I would hate ESPN+ when it first came out but I have grown to enjoy it.

Only thing I can't find anywhere is the PAC-12 and BYU, not that I am looking real hard.  Haven't seen them in years.

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

When the MWC had a Texas School, it definitely helped with Texas recruiting.

Probably helped other schools.   High School Football in California is oddly become less popular.  

Helped the mountain schools recruit Texas. I get it, BSU doesn’t have a recruiting base so needs a National brand. SDSU doesn’t for football.  

The CA schools get a player or two from Texas etc...but don’t need to be looking much farther than CA, NV, AZ for football talent. The CA and NV schools are in a recruiting base. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

Guest #1Stunner

Look at the damage that has been caused to a school like Colorado State, playing games on obscure networks for a generation....

Younger kids in casual fan households were not exposed to Rams games growing up (their parents wouldn't pay premium cable for the MTN and CBS Sports channels).  Now a generation of kids grew up, never watching Rams Athletics. 

Result?  Rams Athletics has zero fan support from the younger demographic...

They should have passed on the pittance they got and put a bunch of their games not on ESPN on local Over the Air TV.   

Same thing happened to UNLV.  They have no young fans anymore.   Only middle aged diehards like RebelRobert follow it.

11 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Helped the mountain schools recruit Texas. I get it, BSU doesn’t have a recruiting base so needs a National brand. SDSU doesn’t for football.  

The CA schools get a player or two from Texas etc...but don’t need to be looking much farther than CA, NV, AZ for football talent. The CA and NV schools are in a recruiting base. 

Here is SDSU's 2021 class breakdown by state...I believe most years 2-4 in the breakdown are some combo of AZ/NV/TX but always shifting. Truth is I worry a lot about CA ability to provide talent with FB just not being quite as popular in the region as it used to be. So these supplemental states could become more important over the next decade. 

image.png.48c0ab146856b0ee1ca4e7e95de51e28.png

11 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

Exactly.  Everyone is switching to streaming and with the Disney, Hulu & ESPN+ package it is a must have for anyone streaming.

I use YouTube TV for sports.  HBOMAX comes with my AT&T cell phone package along with AT&T WatchTV.  Prime Video for anyone who uses Amazon, which I do.

I pay for AppleTV and Netflix so I am loaded up with options to watch anything and everything. 

Add in Torrents on my computer along with Kodi and I am able to watch anything I want sports wise.

I thought I would hate ESPN+ when it first came out but I have grown to enjoy it.

Only thing I can't find anywhere is the PAC-12 and BYU, not that I am looking real hard.  Haven't seen them in years.

Great info. What kind of content does Youtube TV and AppleTV provide?

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m not sure how seriously to take this.  Are you into only football and a little basketball? If so then this conversation doesn’t matter because ESPN+ is for olys and most women’s sports.  If you’re into those, which I hope you are, then you won’t find a better platform for those games.. you’ll get all the byu at your fingertips which you don’t have currently.  You’ll get more money, visibility, and better competition too.  

2 hours ago, Pelado said:

Wrong.

42 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Name one then.  Please don’t drop that cbs sports/Bally’s bs either.  ESPN laps then.

As Stunner explained below, BYU has a better platform than ESPN+ right now.  ESPN has rights to all but one BYU home football game and broadcasts them on a combination of ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU. 

Any home games not picked up by ESPN revert to BYU and are typically broadcast by BYUtv.  BYUtv is broadcast over the air (for free) in high definition in Utah, which doesn't help us out-of-state guys.  However, most cable and satellite systems carry the channel.  It is also available worldwide through streaming and on demand (also for free).  I typically access it using the dedicated Roku app/channel.

BYUtv has secured rebroadcast rights from ESPN home games broadcasts, so they are available on demand on the BYUtv website.  Football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, gymnastics, baseball, softball, etc. are all available on demand.  ESPN+ wouldn't add more BYU sports content to my fingertips than what BYUtv already provides...for free.

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU has an ESPN deal.

Hard pass on the AAC's ESPN+ deal....

That would be a downgrade.  No one cares about ESPN+, since there are no quality conferences on that network.

At least the MWC went with Fox.

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Games on ESPN+ would kill your fanbase after a few years...

I'd rather my school own it's Tier 3 rights, so it can sell it to local TV.  In the WCC, BYU gets to own broadcast rights for games not picked up by ESPN.  They show them OTA on Channel 11, BYUtv in Utah, with streaming available.  Great exposure for the local market.

1 minute ago, Maccoog said:

Great info. What kind of content does Youtube TV and AppleTV provide?

Youtube TV is just like cable, it offers anything you can get on Dish or Directv just cheaper.  That is where I watch all my sports.

AppleTV+ hasn't really gone into sports yet but I suspect that they might in the future.  AppleTV+ is great for putting all of your content in one place where it is easy to search and find what you are looking for.  Their shows/movies are left leaning and a little preachy but since I am a liberal it doesn't bother me that much.

25 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Here is SDSU's 2021 class breakdown by state...I believe most years 2-4 in the breakdown are some combo of AZ/NV/TX but always shifting. Truth is I worry a lot about CA ability to provide talent with FB just not being quite as popular in the region as it used to be. So these supplemental states could become more important over the next decade. 

I get it.  CA used to be the number one state to recruit in and is now number three. Demographics have changed and football is not as popular.  You guys still got 19 of 26 players from the west coast.  Who knows if the 5 guys you got from TX are better than another 5 guys you could have gotten from CA. Time will tell. 

I’m thinking that adding a TX school to the MWC is probably a better idea than BSU moving to the AAC...or if BSU leaves than add a Texas school. Let them go be unhappy somewhere else and the rest of us stick together.  Add North Texas to get into the Dallas recruiting market. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

46 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

That peaked my curiosity. Over the prior seven classes we signed 19 from Texas alone and although the P12 may get a few superstuds, nobody recruits Clark County better than SDSU. (Thanks, UNLV.)

4 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

@Ibanez don't know why, but I believe what you are saying about realignment will come to fruition.  If not then it will be tantalizing close to happening.

The fans of the schools not involved will be butt hurt IMO. But we will eventually have to get over it.  Time will tell. 

for those of us who enjoy college athletics, there will never be a need to "get over" anything

On 5/5/2021 at 4:42 PM, Ibanez said:

Yep. The meltdown here is still a month away. But yeah, these sources are wrong. Well, they're not really it's just this news is almost two years old. I already told you all about this but you all didn't listen. It's funny how it just takes one radio station to answer a question for the internet to go crazy.

But don't worry, Boise State is almost out of here.

And none, to soon for most tastes.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor