Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

48 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

A no brainer?  How so? The AAC is the top G5 right now, but that is cyclical and will change. 

This whole P6 thing is more of joke than when one of your programs claimed to be a nat'l champion. 

If the B12 expands and Houston and perhaps another program leaves, you guys are conference USA 2.0. 

It's much easier and preferable for the P5's to destroy the AAC than it is to give them a seat at the big boy table.  It just takes an invitation or two. 

They ruined the MWC the same way.

Where I think you're wrong is that it wont be cyclical. They have an inherent recruiting advantage due to location and population. There's only a few teams here that are significantly committed to playing football at a high level.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Bullshit.  Even in a year when not everybody was playing at once, AAC had 15 football games on ESPN+...including UCF vs Houston.  That number will go up in '21.

More bullshit.  Whole of lot AAC basketball, including half of UCF's games.  Guess you dont watch a lot of athletics. 

Big time.  Thats funny.

Where they can beat the shit out of the likes of UCF.

You did this before, Houston vs UCF was on abc and ESPN.

7 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Regardless, there’ll have to be a best of the rest conference, and that’s what’s in discussion today.  You really don’t need to tell a UCF guy about the impending realignment at the p5 level.   

All evidence to the contrary.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Dream Team 8 (equal if not better than original MWC-8)

UNLV

SDSU

BYU

Boise

New Mexico

Colorado State

Houston

SMU

Those Eight Schools need to combine and form a new conference. 

From the list below, they could invite as few as one and as many as eight to the new conference:

Memphis

Cincinnati

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

Wichita State (All Sports but Football)

UCF

USF

Air Force (Football Only)

Hawaii (Football Only)

Navy (Football Only)

power_11.conference.png.0869259f643eda2e73a4b8c84b60e8ff.png

11 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Navy is more exciting than Houston or smu in the west.. the top eastern teams are more exciting than any of the west teams in the conference.  You’re silly.

I'd rather play Houston or Cincy over anyone else in the American. The rest I couldn't care less about. Maybe Navy.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Name one then.  Please don’t drop that cbs sports/Bally’s bs either.  ESPN laps then.

BYU has an ESPN deal.

Hard pass on the AAC's ESPN+ deal....

That would be a downgrade.  No one cares about ESPN+, since there are no quality conferences on that network.

At least the MWC went with Fox.

6 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You did this before, Houston vs UCF was on abc and ESPN.

No, it wasnt.  ABC had BC/Clemson early, and ND/GT in the mid afternoon.

https://www.mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2020r/9#.YJWX2LVKhPY

Ahole.JPG.f198e77aa21d13401d133bf4fd6927c0.JPG

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 minutes ago, RSF said:

Bullshit.  Even in a year when not everybody was playing at once, AAC had 15 football games on ESPN+...including UCF vs Houston.  That number will go up in '21.

That would come out to 1.2 game per team in the conf...so basically your FCS games. That said if UCF v Houston was on ESPN+ the AAC +++++ed up big time. 

edit: do you mean 15 conf games specifically, very different than 15 games total. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I'd rather play Houston or Cincy over anyone else in the American. The rest I couldn't care less about.

SMU would be fun too, IMO.  Mainly because we would probably have more BYU fans at the game than SMU would have fans.

Reminds me of how BYU used to have more fans than TCU at those Texas games.  

But the rest of the AAC games BYU has played---UCF, East Carolina, etc--- weren't that different than playing CUSA or something.

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

That would come out to 1 game per team in the conf...so basically your FCS games. That said if UCF v Houston was on ESPN+ the AAC +++++ed up big time. 

edit: do you mean 15 conf games specifically, very different that 15 games total. 

No....they played less games this year.  15 games, 12 teams (well, with Navy 11 1/2).  12 were conference games.  The weekend I mentioned above they had 2 conf games on the Plus.  And with a full schedule in 21 they are looking at 25 to 30 next season.

And here's the dirty little secret ESPN doesnt want people to know....OOC road games that make it onto television get counted toward their minimum.

Wow...so the AAC deal really is like the MW wrt to CBSSports = ESPN+....you get to pay into an additional cable package, or in this case additional streaming service, to watch your teams at the expense of limiting total viewership. Money over eyeballs....

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

Holy shit it's true...lol

I dont post bullshit, I call it out.

Mostly....

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I think the only reason BYU would join a conference at this point is if it was guaranteed access to the expanded playoff. 

Yep. BYU does need the AAC.  They are much better off scheduling the way they are now. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Guest #1Stunner
27 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Very little is on ESPN + and I understand the reticence about it-I wasn’t happy about it either at first but it turned out to not really be a big factor.  I view a lot of athletics and the only time ive been on ESPN+ it was for baseball and was higher quality production that what it was on cbs sports previously.  CBS sports and fox sports/Bally’s are much lower quality than ESPN/abc.  You’ll get more big matchups/time slots in the aac.  I mean, if you’re okay with the status quo then enjoy boca raton games against 5th place aac teams!

I'd bet that 95% of the posters on this board don't opt to purchase ESPN+.

It's a niche streaming channel for obscure sports, the Canadian Football League, and a regional G5 league (AAC).  

Pass.

Guest #1Stunner

Games on ESPN+ would kill your fanbase after a few years...

I'd rather my school own it's Tier 3 rights, so it can sell it to local TV.  In the WCC, BYU gets to own broadcast rights for games not picked up by ESPN.  They show them OTA on Channel 11, BYUtv in Utah, with streaming available.  Great exposure for the local market.