Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

15 hours ago, RSF said:

That was Speaker of the House David Sibley.  He controlled the purse strings.  He was the power broker that got Baylor and Texas Tech in.  If it had happened a couple years earlier, the Speaker was Gib Lewis, TCU alum.  A major 'what if'

That's the move that  cost BYU and New Mexico, a move to the Big12. I can only imagine where both schools would be today, having had all that Big12 money for years and years...

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

@Ibanez don't know why, but I believe what you are saying about realignment will come to fruition.  If not then it will be tantalizing close to happening.

The fans of the schools not involved will be butt hurt IMO. But we will eventually have to get over it.  Time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

The only reason BYU would join the MWC or AAC is because it would give them a chance at making the playoffs - which I could see happening. We'll see.

Under the current playoff system, BYU would not get a playoff bid whether they were in the MW/AAC or not.  It does provide a potentially easier path to a NY6 bowl, though. 

If the playoff gets expanded to 12 or 16 teams with an automatic bid for the highest-ranked G5 champ but no automatic qualifying criteria as an independent, then it could make some sense to join the AAC or re-join the MW.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I like your sense of humor.

I wasn't joking.

The MWC has a more appealing TV Contract than the AAC.  

If the AAC didn't have so many of their games on ESPN+, maybe you would have a point.   But ESPN+ sucks.

11 hours ago, Pelado said:

You disagree?  What do you see as the benefits to BYU of joining the AAC?

It depends on if you mean being in it today or being in the aac once the dust settles.  The former could be argued by stubborn people that it’s not worth the move..not successfully in my estimation but there’s an argument there nonetheless.  If we’re talking about the latter then it’s a no brainer benefit for any team not in one of the power 5 conferences.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I wasn't joking.

The MWC has a more appealing TV Contract than the AAC.  

If the AAC didn't have so many of their games on ESPN+, maybe you would have a point.   But ESPN+ sucks.

I’m not sure how seriously to take this.  Are you into only football and a little basketball? If so then this conversation doesn’t matter because ESPN+ is for olys and most women’s sports.  If you’re into those, which I hope you are, then you won’t find a better platform for those games.. you’ll get all the byu at your fingertips which you don’t have currently.  You’ll get more money, visibility, and better competition too.  

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’m not sure how seriously to take this.  Are you into only football and a little basketball? If so then this conversation doesn’t matter because ESPN+ is for olys and most women’s sports.  If you’re into those, which I hope you are, then you won’t find a better platform for those games.. you’ll get all the byu at your fingertips which you don’t have currently.  You’ll get more money, visibility, and better competition too.  

I'm talking about CBS / FOX vs ESPN / ESPN+

I don't care for ESPN+.   I like the other 3.

ESPN+ has very little exposure.   More power to AAC fans if they love ESPN+

47 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Is that why so many AAC football and basketball games will be on ESPN+?  The visibility?

It wouldnt be more money either.  While BYU's initial TV deals werent as lucrative as some were trying to portray it, some enterprising reporters did figure out that in 16/17, BYU was getting roughly 4 to 5 million for their media rights.  And, as most know, deals increase in value each year.  So now, BYU has a new deal with ESPN thru the 2026 season.  Again, numbers werent released, but its isnt a stretch to think that it would be in the same neighborhood as the AAC deal.  And it included bowl arrangements...which is why BYU's trip to Boca Raton wasnt exactly breaking news.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

36 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Wrong.

59 minutes ago, RSF said:

Is that why so many AAC football and basketball games will be on ESPN+?  The visibility?

It wouldnt be more money either.  While BYU's initial TV deals werent as lucrative as some were trying to portray it, some enterprising reporters did figure out that in 16/17, BYU was getting roughly 4 to 5 million for their media rights.  And, as most know, deals increase in value each year.  So now, BYU has a new deal with ESPN thru the 2026 season.  Again, numbers werent released, but its isnt a stretch to think that it would be in the same neighborhood as the AAC deal.  And it included bowl arrangements...which is why BYU's trip to Boca Raton wasnt exactly breaking news.

I'm sure Woosh's number spin factory is a big hit with the AAC fans. This guy is either an idiot or some snake oil salesman hooked him deep. 

Once he brings these P5 type numbers to the real business world, his presentation looks like swiss cheese.  He tries to prop up the AAC as some golden landing pad when really there is zero advantage to move there, especially for teams out west. 

One of my favorite quotes from Pale Rider and very applicable for Woosh.

You've got sand, boy,
but less sense than a sack of beans

If BYU joined the AAC, it would:

1. Get more exposure to great recruiting areas.
2. Play for a conference championship. Players love to win championships.
   It's something real for their hard work.
3. Get a path to playoff games.
4. Give church members in high population areas an event.
5. Spread the word playing in high population areas. Leaders approve.
6. It does not restrict to a P5 conference. It might help.

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

I'm sure Woosh's number spin factory is a big hit with the AAC fans. This guy is either an idiot or some snake oil salesman hooked him deep. 

One he brings these P5 type numbers to the real business world, his presentation looks like swiss cheese.  He tries to prop up the AAC as some golden landing pad when really there is zero advantage to move there, especially for teams out west. 

I think any MWC team moving to AAC would see a bump in revenue.  But in the big picture its chasing nickels.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

I think any MWC team moving to AAC would see a bump in revenue.  But in the big picture its chasing nickels.

Travel costs alone would negate any small bump.. Not worth it. Watching Woosh dig his own grave is entertaining though.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

Recruiting recruiting recruiting. In the wake of SDSU's Big East invite we landed Pumphrey and then Penny. Not sure we would see the same recruiting bump as before, but I can tell you it was real at the time. You can basically trace a line back from our consecutive CCGs to the BE invite and resulting recruiting.

7 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Recruiting recruiting recruiting. In the wake of SDSU's Big East invite we landed Pumphrey and then Penny. Not sure we would see the same recruiting bump as before, but I can tell you it was real at the time. 

2 guys isnt much of a bump.  And in the case of Penny, with the offers he got a BE invite wasnt exactly stealing him.

Picked SDSU over offers from Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, Nevada, San Jose State and Utah State

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, since1670 said:

If BYU joined the AAC, it would:

1. Get more exposure to great recruiting areas.
2. Play for a conference championship. Players love to win championships.
   It's something real for their hard work.
3. Get a path to playoff games.
4. Give church members in high population areas an event.
5. Spread the word playing in high population areas. Leaders approve.
6. It does not restrict to a P5 conference. It might help.

BYU can already schedule whoever it wants, including the AAC. 

It doesn't need to join the AAC to play games there, or recruit there. 

I think most BYU fans would enjoy scheduling Houston and SMU on a regular basis.   The rest of the AAC is fun to play every once in a while. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU can already schedule whoever it wants, including the AAC. 

It doesn't need to join the AAC to play games there, or recruit there. 

I think most BYU fans would enjoy scheduling Houston and SMU on a regular basis.   The rest of the AAC is fun to play every once in a while. 

I think the only reason BYU would join a conference at this point is if it was guaranteed access to the expanded playoff. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater