Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

21 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

The only thing I know of the Boise State to the AAC rumor is that a UCF AD told me that it’s a done deal, but Boise State has to find a home for their OLY sports.

A generally unmentioned reason it makes sense for the AAC to consider trying to expand to 16 for football (15 for all sports b/c Navy's Olys are as worthless as AFA's) by creating a legit western division is the ability to have conference games broadcast all day each Saturday.

However, the AAC needs to get a clue that, Boise possibly excepted, no MWC school is going to consider jumping to that league for football only. SDSU agreed to do that a decade ago because what was then the Big East still had Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt and did not have Too-lame, Tulsa and Directionally Challenged Carolina.

1 hour ago, 1IvyDog said:

To be correct it was UNLV and Fresno.  They both said no to a FB only deal.  They wanted full membership and a western wing with Boise, SUDS , Houston and SMU.

If BYU said no for some ridiculous reason, I could live with a Western Wing of:

Western Division - UNLV, SDSU, Boise, Fresno, Houston, SMU

I would prefer if BYU was involved instead of Fresno.  I would want Colorado State and/or New Mexico over Fresno also.

19 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

A generally unmentioned reason it makes sense for the AAC to consider trying to expand to 16 for football (15 for all sports b/c Navy's Olys are as worthless as AFA's) by creating a legit western division is the ability to have conference games broadcast all day each Saturday.

However, the AAC needs to get a clue that, Boise possibly excepted, no MWC school is going to consider jumping to that league for football only. SDSU agreed to do that a decade ago because what was then the Big East still had Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt and did not have Too-lame, Tulsa and Directionally Challenged Carolina.

Absolutely, the AD could’ve meant that the invitation pending spot for OLY sports was a done deal - not that Boise has accepted terms. 

As much as I would love it being I live 3 miles from UCF and under 2 hours from USF, it does not make sense for Boise to join as a FB only OR full invite without major western expansion that includes BYU. 

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

From a marketing and branding standpoint, you'd think the American conference having Army, Navy, and Air Force would be a big deal. 

I would think that having  a matchup with the potential of having the CIC trophy, and a conference Championship on the line, would be very appealing to their tv contract... and millions of eyeballs both here, and around the world (the AFN), as well.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

The AAC already draws more viewers than any Big-12 game that does not have UT or OU in it. Addition of 3 MWC schools will add to that. The AAC will have strong viewer rates.

17 hours ago, Ibanez said:

But the brother is the one with the hit girl in the backseat. You're the one waiting on the sidewalk. That's the difference.

Domestic violence is a serious issue.  You should report your brother to the authorities.

5 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

I understand the prospect of a school like UNLV joining the conference that has a National Championship and multiple Final Fours that weren't vacated with a * next to them might be a little intimidating for Memphis* fans. 

Cool beans, bro. I’d love to play UNLV ooc and have said so before...I just don’t want a Western div for the conf. Moreover, if ESPN says we should it needs to be football only.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

A lot of schools need to get real smart, real ruthless and real quick.

A purging of the proletariat dead weight in both the AAC and MWC has to occur.  It is inevitable and I have been preaching this for years now.

Nobody from the MWC is going to the AAC.  Nobody from the AAC is coming to the MWC.

BYU holds the keys to forming this conference if they choose to do so.

UNLV, SDSU, Boise State, Colorado State and New Mexico should be included from the West.

Houston & SMU from Texas.

Cincinnati and Memphis should also be part of the plans.

Gonzaga should be invited to join.  Wichita State is a maybe if they fit in with the plans.

UCF and USF should be considered.

From all observations, it looks like the AAC all generally likes each other...  I mean, some of their schools want to join the BIG12, but since that isn't happening, they seem to get along.   The only school that hated the Conference left---UCONN.    A big reason why they are unified?   Almost every AAC has a quality football stadium and basketball arena.   They are all investing in good facilities, which shows commitment. 

The MWC, on the other hand, lacks unity.   There is a cultural divide between schools like Wyoming, CSU, AFA, ....and UNLV and SDSU.   Not sure what can be done.   But the trend is that the MWC is also investing in good facilities.  Schools like Fresno and SJSU need to do something, though.

Probably the best approach is to simply try and grow the MWC.   

One thing the MWC really needs to work on is getting students to attend football and basketball games.   UNLV gets about 100 students out to football games, and 20 out to basketball games.   That is BAD!!!!    Are you suggesting that UNLV students would be more engaged if UNLV was in a better G5 conference?

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

Cool beans, bro. I’d love to play UNLV ooc and have said so before...I just don’t want a Western div for the conf. Moreover, if ESPN says we should it needs to be football only.

No MWC schools are joining the AAC.  If you guys need us you will have to form a new conference that DROPS the DEAD WEIGHT from both leagues (AAC & MWC)

If not, it ain't happening.

Look at the conference below in the picture and imagine that we might allow UCF, USF or Wichita State to join also.

No MWC teams are coming to the AAC, not now not ever.

power_11.conference.png.0869259f643eda2e73a4b8c84b60e8ff.png

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

That’s not true, that’s the complete opposite of what the conference is seeking.  They’re looking for full membership, not fb only.  The ranks are going to have to be replaced very soon and fb can’t do that alone.  I’m pretty sure you’re partially to blame here for some thinking there was any interest in ARMY too.  

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

No MWC schools are joining the AAC.  If you guys need us you will have to form a new conference that DROPS the DEAD WEIGHT from both leagues (AAC & MWC)

If not, it ain't happening.

Look at the conference below in the picture and imagine that we might allow UCF, USF or Wichita State to join also.

No MWC teams are coming to the AAC, not now not ever.

power_11.conference.png.0869259f643eda2e73a4b8c84b60e8ff.png

Why would SMU, Houston, Cinci and Memphis divorce schools in Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, (all offer good football and basketball recruiting) so they can associate with schools in rural Colorado (CSU), Las Vegas, and New Mexico (no recruiting)?   Plus, they can already schedule BYU whenever they want....

Your idea is appealing, I admit.   But Houston, SMU, and Cinci will never do it. 

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I have zero interest in Boise State moving to the AAC unless a true all sports western division is formed with other MWC schools. I don’t want to witness the slow death of Boise’s oly sports in the WAC or some other bus league. 

Moving back to a multibid volleyball league, and a league where UNLV basketball won a national championship and went to three Final Fours, would be a slow death for oly sports?   :coffeecomputer:

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Why would SMU, Houston, Cinci and Memphis divorce schools in Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, (all offer good football and basketball recruiting) so they can associate with schools in rural Colorado (CSU), Las Vegas, and New Mexico (no recruiting)?   Plus, they can already schedule BYU whenever they want....

All strictly about on the court metrics?

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

From all observations, it looks like the AAC all generally likes each other...  I mean, some of their schools want to join the BIG12, but since that isn't happening, they seem to get along.   The only school that hated the Conference left---UCONN.    A big reason why they are unified?   Almost every AAC has a quality football stadium and basketball arena.   They are all investing in good facilities, which shows commitment. 

The MWC, on the other hand, lacks unity.   There is a cultural divide between schools like Wyoming, CSU, AFA, ....and UNLV and SDSU.   Not sure what can be done.   But the trend is that the MWC is also investing in good facilities.  Schools like Fresno and SJSU need to do something, though.

Probably the best approach is to simply try and grow the MWC.   

One thing the MWC really needs to work on is getting students to attend football and basketball games.   UNLV gets about 100 students out to football games, and 20 out to basketball games.   That is BAD!!!!    Are you suggesting that UNLV students would be more engaged if UNLV was in a better G5 conference?

The AAC is made up of mostly garbage programs that have no future no matter how much lipstick they put on the pig.

No MWC programs are going to the AAC.  Not now and not ever.

If they want to get smart, team up and put together a best of the rest conference we can talk.

Dead Weight has to be dropped in both leagues.  Unless people have the balls to do that, we aren't combining.

Use your f%&kin head as far as UNLV is concerned.

When UNLV wins (Top 50 NET/RPI program) in Basketball we average 14,000+ fans.

When UNLV finally starts winning in Football (Top 40 team) we will average 40,000+ in Football in the best stadium in the country.

Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the world.  UNLV is Arizona State but fun.  Would any conference want Arizona State?  That is UNLV 20 years from now.

Use your brain.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, jdgaucho said:

All strictly about on the court metrics?

I doubt they would leave the AAC to form this new basketball centric conference idea.

AAC is good enough in basketball already.

What about football?  

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RebelRobert said:

The AAC is made up of mostly garbage programs that have no future no matter how much lipstick they put on the pig.

No MWC programs are going to the AAC.  Not now and not ever.

If they want to get smart, team up and put together a best of the rest conference we can talk.

Dead Weight has to be dropped in both leagues.  Unless people have the balls to do that, we aren't combining.

Use your f%&kin head as far as UNLV is concerned.

When UNLV wins (Top 50 NET/RPI program) in Basketball we average 14,000+ fans.

When UNLV finally starts winning in Football (Top 40 team) we will average 40,000+ in Football in the best stadium in the country.

Las Vegas, the entertainment capital of the world.  UNLV is Arizona State but fun.  Would any conference want Arizona State?  That is UNLV 20 years from now.

Use your brain.

UNLV should be ashamed... 

I respect you, because you get it.

But attend a UNLV football or basketball game, and you will find 20 freakin' students in attendance.

Most UNLV Students are low intelligence, and get easy fluff degrees in things like Criminal Justice.....OK.  

BUT!!!!  That is no excuse to never attend games.   Just because UNLV students all live at home with their parents is not an excuse to have no school pride!!