Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Why would BYU join the AAC?

Makes no sense.  Loyalty to the WCC.

Should YBU be included it would probably be football only.  UNLV….no, they bring nothing but a good road trip.  Their heydays are over.  Not understanding why SUDS is interested.  BSU is just never happy where ever they are.  If they go they’ll be looking for a new Conf within five years….especially after the P5 becomes the P4 and eliminates some of their dead weight.

It SUCKS to be a CSU Ram!

1 hour ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

The most boring thing about this MWC message board is these BS rumors of schools leaving.  I think they are started by another conference just to keep the MWC down and then you all react to the BS.  If you all don’t want to be in the MWC than why are you posting on the MWC board.  Just a bunch of dumb ass chest thumping. Nobody is going anywhere anytime soon. 

It's either post about this, or go the @utenation route and camp out in the UNLV Offseason thread to attempt to troll UNLV fans by biting on every bait post put out by the UNLV trolls. (Not me though, I never troll and am always serious!) 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

31 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

Heard from a good source that bsu and UNLV have invited Alabama, Texas, Clemson, Oregon, USC, Washington, and Ohio State to start a new conference...also heard they’re all leaving the NCAA and starting their own association. Should be amazing...

What? This is +++++ing absurd. One of these things is not like the other.

Clemson is a flash in the pan. They don't have the esteemed and continuous excellence of the other programs.  Pass. Take them out and add Temple and we're talking. 

/sarcasm

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

It's either post about this, or go the @utenation route and camp out in the UNLV Offseason thread to attempt to troll UNLV fans by biting on every bait post put out by the UNLV trolls. (Not me though, I never troll and am always serious!) 

You can spend time on the OT board where the rumors we discuss are the ones @NVGiant spreads about anarchists firebombing the woods of the Pacific coast. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

17 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You can spent time on the OT board where the rumors we discuss are the ones @NVGiant spreads about anarchists firebombing the woods of the Pacific coast. 

Sure as Clackamas County is in California, it’s real dammit!

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

They either can't do anything to improve themselves beyond where they currently are or they don't give a rat's patoot. My money's on the former concept.

Speaking for myself only, I really don't want to see SDSU leave Fresno behind for a third time. However, right now during what looks like a crucial time soon before conferences will be renegotiating their TV contracts, Fresno doesn't appear to be particularly good at either football or basketball and they aren't doing anything I'm aware of to upgrade Bulldog Stadium. That's no bueno.

Maybe their football coach can flood the roster with transfers again in the hope of putting together a couple great seasons? I mean, that's what San Jose would be doing.

I think Fresno will be much better this year but we shall see.  I agree that I think both teams do better when they are in the same league.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Friend, it would be great to keep the football series with SDSU going on. Now that Roderick Long JR has moved on, BYU has reasserted itself.  Coach Hoke needs more opportunities to get a W.  John David needs to be in contact with Tom to get the cougs on board. I need to get to LES and get me a cougar tail. 

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Chance at playoffs leads to better recruits. But maybe football only since yeah they're doing pretty well in the WCC. 

7 hours ago, Ibanez said:

You were in the thread where I leaked the BSU to the Big West years ago. I remember you were the only one who believed me. Did you know something back then?

If it was up to Aresco BSU, SDSU, and UNLV would of been in the Big West. But that was a long time ago. I think Boise State would be willing but SDSU probably not. It could happen. If you know anything PM me. But as far as I know they haven't talked in a long time. I thought I read the Big West was losing members. Could be wrong.

No inside information.  Just a gut feeling I had then and still have now.  My personal preference is that Boise remains here in the MWC and that things work out.  But IF it cannot, I'd be happy to welcome Boise back.

5 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I have a cholesterol problem. Boise going to the AAC would be bad for my health.

You'll get plenty of wheat to balance that out

7 hours ago, Ibanez said:

You were in the thread where I leaked the BSU to the Big West years ago. I remember you were the only one who believed me. Did you know something back then?

If it was up to Aresco BSU, SDSU, and UNLV would of been in the Big West. But that was a long time ago. I think Boise State would be willing but SDSU probably not. It could happen. If you know anything PM me. But as far as I know they haven't talked in a long time. I thought I read the Big West was losing members. Could be wrong.

UC Riverside is considering dropping sports entirely.  No decision has been made yet.  It's almost looking like they will continue as their hoops picked up a commitment from former Rebel Jhaylon Martinez.  

UC Riverside replaced Boise State in 2001 when the Broncos went to the WAC.  It would be sad and ironic if Boise returned to replace them.

12 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Since you all won't believe me anyway I'll just debunk this crap.

Two years ago I posted about the BSU to the Big West move. Then the news came out and we all know what happened there. But I had mentioned the Big West had an alternative to where Boise State wouldn't have to lay so much to get membership. That was SDSU and UNLV. But at the time SDSU wasn't interested and the AAC wasn't crazy about UNLV. They wanted Air Force.

This was all brought back to light because of a sports talk radio show out of Birmingham a week or so ago and it spread. But now some AAC sports guys are running with it.

I'm surprised you all didn't see 'UNLV' and put two and two together. The Big West move was the obvious answer here and Boise State and SDSU have moved on from that.

And for the record, the AAC is calling Boise State, not the other way around. So you AAC guys don't even try that nonsense.

I would tell you what's happening but you wouldn't believe me anyway. Take it easy.

Ok, I will believe you.. what's up?

And btw, when Boise and Suds were headed to the AAC the first time around, UNLV had turned them down (yes, they were invited), as it made no sense, the AAC wasn't an upgrade from the MW. 

15 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Per Matt Jones that seems to be the word.

Apparently, Air Force being a service academy is working against them (I guess the AAC doesn't want another triple option team - and poor hoops team)

(1) Lloyd Woosley on Twitter: "Matt @KySportsRadio Sources confirm meetings between Mountain West and AAC. Boise State along with San Diego State and UNLV to AAC. Air Force was also in discussions but AAC didn’t want a 2nd military academy." / Twitter

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611bb0de1267dbb6802f9

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611bb0de1267dbb6802f9

I understand the prospect of a school like UNLV joining the conference that has a National Championship and multiple Final Fours that weren't vacated with a * next to them might be a little intimidating for Memphis* fans. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

One could imagine a go for P6 plan.

The AAC has occasionally produced numbers in football and basketball competitive with the ACC and PAC. That gives Aresco some ammunition.

He has spent many efforts at getting BYU. Support from BSU and SDSU might sway BYU.

If the AAC got BYU, BSU, and SDSU and then got Gonzaga, it would have the power of a P6 and more media appeal.          

37 minutes ago, since1670 said:

One could imagine a go for P6 plan.

The AAC has occasionally produced numbers in football and basketball competitive with the ACC and PAC. That gives Aresco some ammunition.

He has spent many efforts at getting BYU. Support from BSU and SDSU might sway BYU.

If the AAC got BYU, BSU, and SDSU and then got Gonzaga, it would have the power of a P6 and more media appeal.          

Its POWER 6.  Doesnt matter what they do occasionally.  You look at the TV contracts, and that tells you who has the power.  You're much more likely to see a smaller power base than a larger one.  You could see a best of the rest conference, and it wouldnt make a damn bit of difference.  The best any of the G5 schools can hope for is for a few to be backfill...but if that's happening then the whole setup is probably blowing up anyways.  Been that way for 25 years, and there's nothing indicating things will be any different in the future.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I have zero interest in Boise State moving to the AAC unless a true all sports western division is formed with other MWC schools. I don’t want to witness the slow death of Boise’s oly sports in the WAC or some other bus league. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

48 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I have zero interest in Boise State moving to the AAC unless a true all sports western division is formed with other MWC schools. I don’t want to witness the slow death of Boise’s oly sports in the WAC or some other bus league. 

At the mid major level, the “Bus Leagues” are actually becoming the better model.

The gap between the haves and have-nots has simply grown too large - for separation between “who is a better mid major league” to make any difference at all. 

Let’s be honest. There is zero prestige in the Olympic sports.

What olympic sports conference a team plays in - in a mid major Olympic Sports sense - is less important than what gear company sponsors your teams. It’s trivial.

3mxsBs3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

At the mid major level, the “Bus Leagues” are actually becoming the better model.

The gap between the haves and have-nots has simply grown too large - for separation between “who is a better mid major league” to make any difference at all. 

Let’s be honest. There is zero prestige in the Olympic sports.

What olympic sports conference a team plays in - in a mid major Olympic Sports sense - is less important than what gear company sponsors your teams. It’s trivial.

There is zero prestige in men's basketball?  I don't call that being honest.