Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Boise State, San Diego State, and (drumroll) UNLV, All Sports to the AAC?

21 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Never understood the appeal of CSU, and it makes sense that the AAC is apparently not interested (CSU isn't part of the rumor).

CSU is a distant second to Wyoming.  Every time I turn on a Wyoming football game, they at least have a good fan showing. 

CSU?  They built a new stadium, and it was empty after the first year.... People in Colorado don't like college athletics anymore.

Academics, culture, athletic investment, location...

It makes sense if you actually believe that CSU is in any way in the conversation for changing conferences.  Take six from the MWC and six from the AAC and maybe I'll buy in that CSU is on board, current rumors make no sense whatsoever, on multiple levels.

Not happening, but there's your answer.

12 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Still think UNLV & UNR might be a package deal - For one thing, if the AAC is going with BSU, UNLV, SDSU, then UNR makes perfect sense as it balances Boise - Reno with San Diego - Las Vegas geographically ......adding Reno doesn't make Boise such a hard to get to  outlier 

Probably someones wet dream in AAC circles, who's jerking it over expansion dreams 

Only accurate thing in that tweet is not taking AF.......outside of FB, sadly AF doesn't bring much and even AF isn't the geographical fit that Boise-Reno LV-SD make as a tandem two stop trip for teams in the east 

Nevada played in a conference with TCU and Rice and Tulsa... and no one cared. This makes no sense. 

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada played in a conference with TCU and Rice and Tulsa... and no one cared. This makes no sense. 

That was after the 16 team Quadrant geographical alignment imploded when the MWC 8 broke away........UNR & others were desperation back fills - wasn't long that TCU left the WAC anyway - What's TCU got in common with Reno, Fresno & Boise ?!?!

The AAC to work needs some geographical cohesiveness 

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

No. Because this story is a non-starter. People with a good memory will know I discussed this two years ago. This story has been bead for years. Someone knew Boise State and the AAC were talking and probably heard about this and assumed this was happening. It's not.

BYU has a better chance of playing in the PAC-12 than UNLV football has of getting out of the MWC without a lot of help.

Was the rest of the MWC aware that Boise was negotiating with another conference while they were sending their representative to participate in MWC TV contract negotiations?  I can't see how that could possibly be a conflict of interest.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

That was after the 16 team Quadrant geographical alignment imploded when the MWC 8 broke away........UNR & others were desperation back fills - wasn't long that TCU left the WAC anyway - What's TCU got in common with Reno, Fresno & Boise ?!?!

The AAC to work needs some geographical cohesiveness 

Nevada has more in common with the schools that are supposedly leaving than the ones they are leaving for.... there is no “cohesiveness” in that mess.  

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada has more in common with the schools that are supposedly leaving than the ones they are leaving for.... there is no “cohesiveness” in that mess.  

If BSU goes & UNLV goes........UNR should come along is my point - What's UNR got with CSU, AF, UNM & Wyo ?!?! Maybe Fresno & SJSU 

18 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

But if UNR opts out, then by all means stick with what's left of the MWC & see if some Big Sky schools move up to rekindle the old UNR rivalries of the 1980's - Idaho & UNR has some good BB & FB games 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

If BSU goes & UNLV goes........UNR should come along is my point - What's UNR got with CSU, AF, UNM & Wyo ?!?! Maybe Fresno & SJSU 

Obviously, Nevada is in no position to dictate any of this situation. But those schools you dig at are all better universities than Vegas. Maybe it’s the water you kids drink down there. 

34 minutes ago, utenation said:

Only problem is once they see UNLV adds nothing in any sport after 6 months, they might request a return address with a valid receipt.

The AAC would get the pleasure of watching Leon Rice dance all over UNLV’s crushed dreams however. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think it's funny that top teams here constantly have problems with their conference mates over stuff. 

I just kind of wonder when some of the lesser athletic depts are going to learn to not bite the hand that feeds them.

They either can't do anything to improve themselves beyond where they currently are or they don't give a rat's patoot. My money's on the former concept.

Speaking for myself only, I really don't want to see SDSU leave Fresno behind for a third time. However, right now during what looks like a crucial time soon before conferences will be renegotiating their TV contracts, Fresno doesn't appear to be particularly good at either football or basketball and they aren't doing anything I'm aware of to upgrade Bulldog Stadium. That's no bueno.

Maybe their football coach can flood the roster with transfers again in the hope of putting together a couple great seasons? I mean, that's what San Jose would be doing.

I doubt Nevada Reno is being discussed as an addition. In fact I’m surprised unless is being brought up. I don’t think anyone in Texas will get excited about playing UNLV. It’s difficult to see SDSU. Boise makes sense. They have a bit of cache due to their dominant past in the region. The AAC can further solidify P6 status with the statistics Boise brings in addition to what the AAC has already accomplished. I can see UNLV being brought along if they bring the Las Vegas Bowl with them. I have done a small amount of research on SDSU and they pass the smell test for the AAC. The UNLV “insert cancel culture name here” do not. However if this thing is to get done and UNLV is the school that benefits the AAC the most then it will get done. 

so what does UNLV bring? I am not being rude but I am not as familiar with them. 

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Obviously, Nevada is in no position to dictate any of this situation. But those schools you dig at are all better universities than Vegas. Maybe it’s the water you kids drink down there. 

Who gives a crap about academic perceptions at this level of college sports ?!?!

I'm an advocate for UNR joining BSU, SDSU & UNLV.........but if you prefer, stay with what's left and Utah Valley State & the other back fills - should be a real bonus for UNR's programs !! 

3 hours ago, NevadaAllStar said:

Can anyone more in the know about the NSHE advise if the Regents would ever let Nevada and UNLV split conferences again? For some reason I think they were dead set against that so I automatically dismiss any of these realignment threads that split the Nevada schools but I could be wrong...

They aren’t going to hold UNLV back from greatness so we are stuck on a sinking ship with shithole unr.  Get real.  UNLV won’t even ask for permission before bouncing.  We will still throw unr a bone and play you once a year for your Super Bowl so don’t worry.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Yeah but you have to think of the locations of those schools. The MWC will need to get into some more recruiting areas. Established pipelines only go so far and then dry up with coaching turnover.

Four schools leaving, all managing to keep the secret from everyone but you.

You must be really special.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

9 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Actually, geographically Fresno is similar to Reno - So if UNR isn't the 4th.......Fresno, UNLV ,SDSU & BSU make a nice western foursome 

Boise to Fresno along with Vegas & SD road trips would be easy.........plus Fresno is more fertile recruiting area than Reno.........so I can see your point. - Idaho vs UNR can live again !!! 

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Who gives a crap about academic perceptions at this level of college sports ?!?!

I'm an advocate for UNR joining BSU, SDSU & UNLV.........but if you prefer, stay with what's left and Utah Valley State & the other back fills - should be a real bonus for UNR's programs !! 

I’m not talking about academics. I’m talking about supporting their university and game day experience.

Like I said. Nevada is along for the ride. But this is stupid. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

I’m not talking about academics. I’m talking about supporting their university and game day experience.

Like I said. Nevada is along for the ride. But this is stupid. 

For +++++s sake man, UNR gets not much more fan support than the Big Sky days..........the stadium is a glorified metal bleacher set up with a few "boxes"..........Lawlor is a middling sized arena that hasn't been modified (other than scoreboards) since it opened in 1984............it's not like UNR dominates the market there & if it does, so what it's a middling western TV market 

SD & LV bring large markets.........reasons for fans to travel............way nicer stadiums than the UNR metal erector set.............and major potential - There is nothing in Reno that can offer up a conference a decent venue to hold any event other than a UNR home game 

The most boring thing about this MWC message board is these BS rumors of schools leaving.  I think they are started by another conference just to keep the MWC down and then you all react to the BS.  If you all don’t want to be in the MWC than why are you posting on the MWC board.  Just a bunch of dumb ass chest thumping. Nobody is going anywhere anytime soon. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I never said four schools would leave. I asked what would the MWC do if four schools left. We know the AAC has talked about 14. We know Aresco wasn't thrilled when he invited BSU late last year and BSU said no to a football only invite. Army isn't gonna be an AAC member so of the AAC is gonna expand it's gonna be with the MWC teams unless BYU for whatever reason goes. I'm just saying of three MWC teams go, it's possible Hawaii or AF bails.

And yes. It's such a secret that only I know. I guess those emails the actual news and sports reporters found of Harsin, the AAC, and Boise State are all fake.

You are one of the few who doesn't believe anything about expansion and that's fine. But people have friends and people have jobs in the know... This shit isn't discussed by two people in a sound proof room and kept on the down low. If you don't believe anything I say why even bother commenting? Just wait til I'm proven wrong so you can say "I told you so."

The AAC didn't invite BSU.  BSU went in begging.  The AAC agreed to accept FB only but offered no help in regards to placing their oly sports elsewhere. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama