Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

MWC has 3 Drafted Players. AAC=19. Big 12 =22

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's all in the feeling.  Learning the feel of the line pulling back in your back swing so you know when to throw forward.  Get that feeling down and things like side casting become easy as well, same exact feeling.  After learning to cast, learning to manage your line is the next thing for beginners.  You can become proficient pretty quick.

That said, fly snobs are the worst.  I've crossed paths with people when totting my spin gear with my dad who look at my outfit and the expression on their face and their tone is clear.  Very condescending, even if they do not mean to be. 

True story.  When I was 9 years old my dad and I entered a hole on the South Fork of the Boise.  A fly guy had obviously spent considerable energy in hiking to the other side of the river.  His line was a mess and he was frustrated, cursing.  We talked to him a little as he was clearly not "fishing" he was +++++ing with a mess in his line and needing to tie on new leader.  He said he had been fishing all day and had not even had a bite.  This was a very cold spring day before the runoff and before they close it (the river) for fishing.  He was trying to use dries.  

We asked if we could make a few casts as it was our favorite hole and he jokingly said go for it.  My dad on his first cast hooked into and landed a 21 inch rainbow.  The dude got really angry for some reason saying things like "this is BS, in these waters outfits like that should not be allowed, you damage the fish"  Of course that is all BS.  I made a cast afterwards and caught a little 10 incher or so.  He walked away.

Pride is a silly thing.

LOL. I started fly fishing 45 years ago for exactly the right reason, even though I didn't realize it at the time.  I thought it was cooler and showed a level of expertise that others didn't have.  It turns out that it's just a different way to approach fishing and it is cooler, and it does require more practice and development of expertise, but it is far from a higher level of approach to the sport.  I spin fish as much as I fly fish, and to be honest...my son is huge into largemouth fishing and has yet to be successful in teaching me to run a baitcaster.  Fly fishing is fun, but any arrogance around it is dramatically misplaced.  It's just another way to put a lure in front of a fish.

I know for a fact that there are times and places that I'll outcatch the guy with the spin gear and the hardware when I'm flipping a fly, I've done it.  I've also watched my kids shame me with their great  spinner catches while I went skunk on the fly.  Neither is better, both are fun.

15 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Nope. I’ll have to do that next time. Sounds fun. As well as fishing on CA and NV, I get around the rest of the west when I can. Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah, WYO, etc...

I’ve always found that doing a little work to get into a River usually keeps the crowds away. In general people are lazy. If it’s tough to reach or to climb into a river through the brush, you can find yourself alone for miles. Nothing more fun than walking and fishing 3-5 miles of a river, hole to hole. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

8 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Yep.  I’ve never had the chance to fish in Florida. Some day.  A friend of mine retired to the Orlando area just because he loves to fish there. 

Out here I’m just saltwater fishing the Pacific or the Bay/Delta. Usually Salmon or Halibut fishing but I always bring some heavy fly gear also. Spent a lot of time back in the day fishing out at the mile bouy (reef) for Halibut, dropping my boat in off the Capitola Pier on Monterey Bay.  Always streamed for rockfish if I got bored while bottom fishing. Even caught white sea bass on a fly rod. That’s a So Cal trophy fish that will sometimes make its way farther north depending on the water temperature. 

I've never heard of anyone using a fly rig on the pacific. That's wild. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

LOL. I started fly fishing 45 years ago for exactly the right reason, even though I didn't realize it at the time.  I thought it was cooler and showed a level of expertise that others didn't have.  It turns out that it's just a different way to approach fishing and it is cooler, and it does require more practice and development of expertise, but it is far from a higher level of approach to the sport.  I spin fish as much as I fly fish, and to be honest...my son is huge into largemouth fishing and has yet to be successful in teaching me to run a baitcaster.  Fly fishing is fun, but any arrogance around it is dramatically misplaced.  It's just another way to put a lure in front of a fish.

I know for a fact that there are times and places that I'll outcatch the guy with the spin gear and the hardware when I'm flipping a fly, I've done it.  I've also watched my kids shame me with their great  spinner catches while I went skunk on the fly.  Neither is better, both are fun.

Yeah, my best days fishing for number of fish have all come on flies, at least like 18 of my top 20.  My best days fishing for number of BIG fish though have all come on the spin outfit, about 14 of 20 if memory serves.  Being able and loving to do both gives you a big advantage IMHO.  In certain conditions one is simply better than the other but overall, kind of a wash.  What is more fun, 20 fish in a day between 12-and 16 inches, or 7 fish in a day but one is 24?

It's all fun, it is all amazing.  Again, we are so blessed to live in the West, my friend.

18 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's all in the feeling.  Learning the feel of the line pulling back in your back swing so you know when to throw forward.  Get that feeling down and things like side casting become easy as well, same exact feeling.  After learning to cast, learning to manage your line is the next thing for beginners.  You can become proficient pretty quick.

That said, fly snobs are the worst.  I've crossed paths with people when totting my spin gear with my dad who look at my outfit and the expression on their face and their tone is clear.  Very condescending, even if they do not mean to be. 

True story.  When I was 9 years old my dad and I entered a hole on the South Fork of the Boise.  A fly guy had obviously spent considerable energy in hiking to the other side of the river.  His line was a mess and he was frustrated, cursing.  We talked to him a little as he was clearly not "fishing" he was +++++ing with a mess in his line and needing to tie on new leader.  He said he had been fishing all day and had not even had a bite.  This was a very cold spring day before the runoff and before they close it (the river) for fishing.  He was trying to use dries.  

We asked if we could make a few casts as it was our favorite hole and he jokingly said go for it.  My dad on his first cast hooked into and landed a 21 inch rainbow.  The dude got really angry for some reason saying things like "this is BS, in these waters outfits like that should not be allowed, you damage the fish"  Of course that is all BS.  I made a cast afterwards and caught a little 10 incher or so.  He walked away.

Pride is a silly thing.

From my view it’s more about treble hooks, multiple barbs and for those that use live bait the fish have a much higher percentage of swallowing the hook sky rocketing the mortality rate.  

I don’t have an issue with conventional guys, I started out using conventional. 

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

From my view it’s more about treble hooks, multiple barbs and for those that use live bait the fish have a much higher percentage of swallowing the hook sky rocketing the mortality rate.  

I don’t have an issue with conventional guys, I started out using conventional. 

Dude same.  I am single barbless only.  Not just because it is ethical for catch and release but also because in the rivers I fish that is the law.  Single bar, catch and release.  Fish and Game finds you with a barb not bent down properly?  Shiiiit, big old fine.

8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I've never heard of anyone using a fly rig on the pacific. That's wild. 

You can fly fish the beach also.  You’d be surprised how many fish are right there in the surf. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

20 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

My pals up in Alaska would laugh at your Permit, Tarpon and Bonefish saying similar rhetoric as they catch 400 pound Halibut off their boat in 40 minute fights on their traditional rigs.  My old fly fishing club made retreats to the Amazon to fish for pirarucu, and would also say Permit, Tarpon and Bone have nothing on it.

To each their own my good friend.

If bottom fishermen want to laugh, so be it - any jackass fishing off the overseas highway could hook up to a 500 plus pound grouper.  

They actually found an arapaima in Florida the other day, you’re going down the rabbit hole when you start to talk about destination fishing outside of the US.  

13 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

You can fly fish the beach also.  You’d be surprised how many fish are right there in the surf. 

Corbina can be a fun one to sight fish, it’s kind of like your version of our redfish.  

18 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, my best days fishing for number of fish have all come on flies, at least like 18 of my top 20.  My best days fishing for number of BIG fish though have all come on the spin outfit, about 14 of 20 if memory serves.  Being able and loving to do both gives you a big advantage IMHO.  In certain conditions one is simply better than the other but overall, kind of a wash.  What is more fun, 20 fish in a day between 12-and 16 inches, or 7 fish in a day but one is 24?

It's all fun, it is all amazing.  Again, we are so blessed to live in the West, my friend.

My biggest fish on the fly?  40# King Salmon, Soldotna AK, 1977

My biggest fish on a spin rig?  42# King Salmon, Rogue River, Oregon, 2015

Not a lot of difference.

The one I can barely remember landing because the fight brought so much adrenaline I wasn't sure where I was when he finally succumbed?  18# Steelhead, Rogue River Oregon, 2015.  He got to go back.  BEST FIGHT EVER!!!

10 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The people that talk this way to others are usually pretty sad people in real life.  It’s almost a cry for help.

Half moon has some serious issues. For one the dudes life is here not in the real world. Credit to the him though he admitted he has some mental issue. For the most part this is a weird place to divulge stuff like that but it happens a lot. Especially if this is where you think your true friends are.  wyovian told me about his horrifying BYU experience as a kid. I understand now why he has the most passion for BYU that I have ever encountered. Probably the greatest story every told on this site, extremely funny but I get were he came from. I actually respect Wyovian now and wanted to date his sister when I got a divorce. I feel sorry for half moon though. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Dude same.  I am single barbless only.  Not just because it is ethical for catch and release but also because in the rivers I fish that is the law.  Single bar, catch and release.  Fish and Game finds you with a barb not bent down properly?  Shiiiit, big old fine.

That’s the way of the law on most of the rivers in CA also.  Single barbless.  Some spots are 100% catch and release.

I grew up conventional fishing.  Decided I wanted to learn fly fishing years ago, so I bought the gear (even fly tying gear). Eventually joined a fly fishing club.  Really learned the craft then. These old timers taught me everything about when, where, how, why, what, etc...  

The club was 100% catch and release.  Only fish I keep now days are Salmon and Halibut (good eating!), the trout always go back in the river or lake. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

4 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

That’s the way most of the rivers in CA are.  Some spots are 100% catch and release also. 

I grew up conventional fishing.  Decided I wanted to learn fly fishing years ago, so I bought the gear (even fly tying gear). Eventually joined a fly fishing club.  Really learned the craft then. These old timers taught me everything about when, where, how, why, what, etc...  

The club was 100% catch and release.  Only fish I keep now days are Salmon and Halibut, the thought always go back in the river or lake. 

California is the birthplace for a lot of great fly fishing history, Scott and Winston fly rods both got their start in San Francisco (I believe Sage may have as well but they were under a different name). The Golden Gate casting club was huge in propelling the use of future technology.

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

California is the birthplace for a lot of great fly fishing history, Scott and Winston fly rods both got their start in San Francisco (I believe Sage may have as well but they were under a different name). The Golden Gate casting club was huge in propelling the use of future technology.

Yep. Most people don’t know that history.  There are still fly casting ponds in Golden Gate Park. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

56 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

We fisherman have hijacked this thread. :thumbsup:

:OT::hahaha:

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

13 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

When I lived in San Jose, and later Los Gatos, there was a nice fly casting pond in Campbell also. Oakland also has an old school casting club. Been around for years. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

19 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Not a lot of difference.

The one I can barely remember landing because the fight brought so much adrenaline I wasn't sure where I was when he finally succumbed?  18# Steelhead, Rogue River Oregon, 2015.  He got to go back.  BEST FIGHT EVER!!!

The first bonefish I ever fed back in ‘00 in Biscayne Bay was 13/14 pounds.  I had never witnessed line peel off a reel like that.  He went out 100 yards in a snap and then turned around and came right back at the boat.  Too much line was out which caused slack and the hook popped.  

I had to sit down for 15 minutes to calm myself, my first landed about an hour later was 12lb’s.  

30 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

If bottom fishermen want to laugh, so be it - any jackass fishing off the overseas highway could hook up to a 500 plus pound grouper.  

They actually found an arapaima in Florida the other day, you’re going down the rabbit hole when you start to talk about destination fishing outside of the US.  

Hey, all I am saying is the same rhetoric you are using I have heard others use for everything but their thing.  And yeah, a 500 pounder hally would be FAR more impressive than about anything in the keys, and no, you really, really have to know those coastal waters to get into em, and then really, really know what you are doing to land em.

I get you love what you do, but I know a lot of anglers that would consider it a joke compared to what they do.

To each their own.  As long as you are having fun...

33 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Not a lot of difference.

Steelhead pound for pound are a great fighting fish.  Once you get into that 17-22 pound range you in for just a monster struggle.

11 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

When I lived in San Jose/Los Gatos there was a nice fly casting pond in Campbell also. Oakland also has an old school casting club. Been around for years. 

A lot of history there!