Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

MWC has 3 Drafted Players. AAC=19. Big 12 =22

24 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

There used to be two runs. One of them was wiped out by about the turn of the century. The other (I think it's the winter run, but I could be wrong) is still there, but is stronger the more north you go. You can still catch salmon on the Sacramento system. I believe on most tributaries of the San Joaquin, you can't really fish at all during salmon runs or it is highly restricted. 

Did you ever see the movie/doc “Rivers of a Lost Coast?”  Some really great stories in there, but obviously a sad ending.  

1 hour ago, tailingpermit said:

Did you ever see the movie/doc “Rivers of a Lost Coast?”  Some really great stories in there, but obviously a sad ending.  

No I havent, will have to check it out if I can track it down. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We sound pretty similar.  I would love to go fishing with you someday.  Learning to fly fish is easy.  Don't let the snobs fool you.  What makes a good spin fisherman good is the same exact thing that makes a fly guy good.  Being able to read the water and understanding the ecosystem you are fishing.  If you can do that, you will catch way more fish than the guy who does not but may have a $4,000 outfit and perfect casting form.

The guys who really crack me up are the ones you see with waders on when it is 80 degrees or warmer outside.  Get your legs wet, bleed a little! 

Haha.  I tried and I suck.  First cast a caught myself 😂.  But fishing Shaver by the dam reminds me of my Grandfather.   

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Haha.  I tried and I suck.  First cast a caught myself 😂.  But fishing Shaver by the dam reminds me of my Grandfather.   

When learning to cast, take a few hours in the backyard or a park if you do not have a yard, and just practice.  Casting is all about the feel and learning to get the line out, be aware of your surroundings, and getting placement down.  Anybody can do it.  But yeah, don't try to learn on an actual river or you will get really frustrated.  

7 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

It’s a Chamber of Commerce pool day here in Oviedo, high 94, feels like 99. 

Specs are the small fish bait soakers kill for dinner, gator trout are those over 5lbs and are extremely difficult to get a clean shot at on fly.  

There’s a saying, once you go saltwater fly fishing, those trout back home are no longer very interesting.  

I go saltwater fly fishing in CA.  Catching strippers, lingcod, rockfish, etc... on a streamer is a ton of fun.  Big fish!  Still love trout fishing the rivers the most though. 

Btw, was up near Reno a couple weeks back at Pyramid Lake. My buddy and I caught a ton of big Lahotan Cutthroats on a fly rod. Love that!

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

9 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I read a really interesting story once on the introduction of brown trout in New Zealand, it took several tries to ship them over in the middle 1800’s. 

Smallmouth will strike agitator dries like poppers or gurglers, but you won’t find them sipping caddis during a large hatch.  Also, nymph’ing for trout is boring as fck, why I only plan trout trips during hopper season.  

Depend on the spot and how many fish you are catching. I love nymphing for big browns and rainbows at certain places in CA (Lake Crowley on the Owens River is a good example).  I put my waders and fins on, jump on a float tub, relax and catch a ton of fish. Sometimes it just what the doctor ordered. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I use light spinning tackle about as often as I use my fly gear.  It depends on who I am fishing with.  My dad only uses spinning tackle, rooster tails and meps and the like and 8 pound test.  When I fish with him, I do the same.  My friends all fish with flies, so I use my fly gear with them.  Never bait fish though.

I don't really find one more enjoyable than the other.  The real joy is just getting out there, hiking along the bottom of a river and being away from people.  Catching a shit ton of fish is great, catching a really spectacular fish is even better, but just being out there and doing it is the best.

Amen!

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

6 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, some rivers are easier to fish with spinning outfits.  Having a spin outfit also opens up a longer "good" fishing season in colder states like Idaho.  

I will use bait if I am fishing reservoirs as well, usually good ole fashioned worm.  But I greatly prefer rivers.  I never fish a hole for more than 10-15 minutes and have a 4 fish rule.  Catch 4 fish in a hole and I will move on, even if I could have caught another 4.  Kinda the same reasoning when hunting morel mushrooms, if I get into a patch I will always leave about half behind.

It's why the rivers I fish tend to be remote, I can't stand wall to wall people where they will stake out one hole and fish all day.  The South Fork of the Boise gets like that, unless you are fishing during the weekday in cold/shitty weather.  Middle Fork of the Boise, same thing.  The backwaters of the Salmon and Clearwater ecosystem much more fun, but even the North Fork of the clear water gets piss pounded nowadays.  Lochsa, for some reason, does not.  Probably because it is right off the highway.

Martin creek, which is a tributary of Pack creek, which feeds into lake Pend Oreille are both really fun to fish.  You will never see another human, and the giant fish from the lake come up those streams to spawn.  Same thing with the Rivers in the Frank Church.

I fish as much for the ambiance as the fish.  Nothing beats a mountain stream for relaxing IMHO.

I spent a couple days fishing and camping up and down the Lochsa and Clearwater last summer during Covid.  Nobody was out there.  Left Missoula and went all the way to Lewiston and back.  The old Lewis and Clark trail.  Read an article that said driving that Hwy was a must thing to do in Idaho. I would agree. Absolutely gorgeous. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 minute ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I spent a couple days fishing and camping up and down the Lochsa and Clearwater last summer during Covid.  Nobody was out there.  Left Missoula and went all the way to Lewiston and back.  The old Lewis and Clark trail.  Read an article that said driving that Hwy was a must thing to do in Idaho. I would agree. Absolutely gorgeous. 

We may have driven past each other!!!

Did you get into the backcountry?  The Lolo trail?  Great overlanding.

42 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

When learning to cast, take a few hours in the backyard or a park if you do not have a yard, and just practice.  Casting is all about the feel and learning to get the line out, be aware of your surroundings, and getting placement down.  Anybody can do it.  But yeah, don't try to learn on an actual river or you will get really frustrated.  

Yeah I have practiced a bit but need a lot more.  Lol.  

41 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I go saltwater fly fishing in CA.  Catching strippers, lingcod, rockfish, etc... on a streamer is a ton of fun.  Big fish!  Still love trout fishing the rivers the most though. 

Btw, was up near Reno a couple weeks back at Pyramid Lake. My buddy and I caught a ton of big Lahotan Cutthroats on a fly rod. Love that!

When people talk about saltwater fly fishing in the US it involves Florida and typically the big three.  Permit, tarpon and bonefish.  Not trying to be a dick, but those fish you mentioned aren’t even close to being in the same league.  

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Man, with the light outfits I prefer to use, fly or spin, if you hook into a steelhead in the winter/early spring, the only way to get a picture is to jump into the water, you just are not going to get it on the bank otherwise.  I don't own waders, they honestly scare me.  I had a pair as a kid and almost drowned because of them, so have an aversion ever since.  

Land a few steelhead on the 5 wt you were using going after west slope and you feel like a man, tell you what.  Freezing cold after the jump in the river, bloody legs from traversing the bank as it makes it's runs, covered in fish slime.  Ahh, you could be envied for a king.

It's an urban myth.  Your bouyancy is neutral whether the water is in the waders or outside of them until you try to walk on dry land.  Then the water becomes dead weight.

Lee Wulff jumped off a bridge in waders on the Beaverkill back in the 50's (?) to prove this point.  He was right, but scared the crap out of folks.  I've tested it myself (in a lake).  Waders won't drown you.

I agree that they are stupid and uncomfortable in August.  A Godsend in May though.

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We may have driven past each other!!!

Did you get into the backcountry?  The Lolo trail?  Great overlanding.

Nope. I’ll have to do that next time. Sounds fun. As well as fishing in CA and NV,  I get around the rest of the west when I can. Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, WYO, etc...

I’ve always found that doing a little work to get into a River usually keeps the crowds away. In general people are lazy.  They just want to drive up, park, and fish. If you have to hike in to reach it or to climb into a river through heavy brush, you can find yourself alone for miles. Nothing more fun than walking and fishing 3-5 miles of a river, hole to hole. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yeah I have practiced a bit but need a lot more.  Lol.  

It's all in the feeling.  Learning the feel of the line pulling back in your back swing so you know when to throw forward.  Get that feeling down and things like side casting become easy as well, same exact feeling.  After learning to cast, learning to manage your line is the next thing for beginners.  You can become proficient pretty quick.

That said, fly snobs are the worst.  I've crossed paths with people when totting my spin gear with my dad who look at my outfit and the expression on their face and their tone is clear.  Very condescending, even if they do not mean to be. 

True story.  When I was 9 years old my dad and I entered a hole on the South Fork of the Boise.  A fly guy had obviously spent considerable energy in hiking to the other side of the river.  His line was a mess and he was frustrated, cursing.  We talked to him a little as he was clearly not "fishing" he was +++++ing with a mess in his line and needing to tie on new leader.  He said he had been fishing all day and had not even had a bite.  This was a very cold spring day before the runoff and before they close it (the river) for fishing.  He was trying to use dries.  

We asked if we could make a few casts as it was our favorite hole and he jokingly said go for it.  My dad on his first cast hooked into and landed a 21 inch rainbow.  The dude got really angry for some reason saying things like "this is BS, in these waters outfits like that should not be allowed, you damage the fish"  Of course that is all BS.  I made a cast afterwards and caught a little 10 incher or so.  He walked away.

Pride is a silly thing.

35 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Depend on the spot and how many fish you are catching. I love nymphing for big browns and rainbows at certain places in CA (Lake Crowley is a good example).  I put my waders and fins on, jump in a float tub, relax and catch a ton of fish. Sometimes it just what the doctor ordered. 

Different strokes for different folks.  

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

When people talk about saltwater fly fishing in the US it involves Florida and typically the big three.  Permit, tarpon and bonefish.  Not trying to be a dick, but those fish you mentioned aren’t even close to being in the same league.  

My pals up in Alaska would laugh at your Permit, Tarpon and Bonefish saying similar rhetoric as they catch 400 pound Halibut off their boat in 40 minute fights on their traditional rigs.  My old fly fishing club made retreats to the Amazon to fish for pirarucu, and would also say Permit, Tarpon and Bone have nothing on it.

To each their own my good friend.

Funny story... my dad, my brother in law and I go to my cousin's cabin in the fall every year for a weekend fishing trip at lake almanor outside of lassen. Usually October. We've done pretty well every year, but one year was weird. We were trolling for trout on the west side of the lake... some of us pulling worms behind flashers, some of us pulling spoons. Caught a ton of catfish. No trout. Just catfish. Trolling. I've never in my life heard of anyone catching catfish trolling in a lake. Something weird was going on. 

They were yummy though.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

38 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Yep.  I’ve never had the chance to fish in Florida. Some day.  A friend of mine retired to the Orlando area just because he loves to fish there. 

Out here I’m just saltwater fishing the Pacific or the Bay/Delta. Usually Salmon or Halibut fishing but I always bring some heavy fly gear also. Spent a lot of time back in the day fishing out at the mile bouy (reef) off Capitola for Halibut, dropping my boat in off the Pier on Monterey Bay.  Always streamed for rockfish if I got bored while bottom fishing for the flat fish. Even caught white sea bass on a fly rod. That’s a So Cal trophy fish that will sometimes make its way farther north depending on the water temperature. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!