Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Gardening Thread (No racist, fascist, or gun comments please)

Those look fine to me, Bob. Some years a variety will look very different than other years depending on several factors, some environmental, some related to how it’s grown. Lack of color is usually related to heat or sun exposure. Too much heat during the ripening season leads to less color on many varieties (lots of my apples have far less color this year, the hottest summer on record here, than in years past) and sun exposed apples show more color than those covered by foliage. Your greenhouse tree probably has issues with both of these factors.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Thanks. Does ‘extreme’ heat affect flavor, too?

Yes, according to industry experts. Honeycrisp does best in the region where it was  developed, Minnesota, so the upper Midwest and probably the Northeast are supposed to deliver the best flavor. I’d imagine Wyoming is probably a good place too, but the late frost in spring and early frosts in fall aren’t ideal. If you can control your GH temps through summer, you can probably get great flavor too. I’ve only eaten Washington grown Honeycrisp. Not a fan.