Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Gardening Thread (No racist, fascist, or gun comments please)

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Sure, but I would still need to put a protective barrier around rooted/tuber plants because of the critters where I live. 

Damn the critters !

Shooting Pew Pew GIF by BrownSugarApp

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

We bought a "lettuce grow" plastic planter thingy with a pump, pre-made soil, and nutrition packets because my wife and I could make pretty decent agent orange substitutes. We're on day 2, we'll see how it goes. I tried growing potatoes last year and it worked, sort of, but I'm pretty sure I burned more calories hoeing the rows, cutting through the soil fabric that the builder oh so helpfully installed, placing soil, and watering the plants than the potatoes I got out of it. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

19 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Heres what i got so far. 2 artichokes, 7 cannabis plants (from 3 strains), an opuntia, a San Pedro, a dragon blood tree and I just started a plumeria. About to put in some veggies and flowers and more cactus this week. I put a pic of my backyard up too so you can see I have a lot of room for expansion. That said, I wish my garden looked more like your guy's lol. 

20210502_131518.jpg

20210502_131809.jpg

20210502_131815.jpg

20210502_131826.jpg

That is pretty large yard for San Francisco. Do you share it with others or is it all yours?

I’ve never grown artichokes in a pot. I imagine they will be heavy feeders, given how large the plants get when planted in-ground. 

After the last accident with the meth lab, I'm no longer allowed to "grow" any garden whatsoever in my tiny little yard.  I did get nervous growing so much poppy near a school zone, so maybe it worked out for the best.  HOA/Trailer Park rules were amended after this.

Are Flower Pots a Fire Hazard? - Garden Myths

19 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

My wife has been trying to do artichokes every year out here. I keep telling her I think it's too hot and sunny here in the summer, but she's determined. It's her white whale. 

Is she trying different varieties, or is she stubbornly sticking with the huge globe artichoke types they grow over in Castroville? I’m pretty sure those won’t handle your heat. They also don’t like the cold I get up in Reno, so after some investigation, I ended up with a packet of seeds of an Italian variety. I’ll dig it out of my seed stash later and post it. It easily handles local low temps and doesn’t flinch at our summer heat, which is still 5-10 degrees below yours in the Valley, but pretty damn hot nonetheless. 

This is a picture of one of my two plants from late June, 2018. The chokes aren’t huge, but they are tasty and produce prolifically for a month every summer, plus they’re a nice structure plant when not producing food. The spines are vicious, though. I trim them all off as I harvest the chokes, otherwise I end up full of holes when I handle them in the kitchen.  

4CF7DEE7-6D67-4098-B101-65C81E9EC027.jpeg

After losing a bunch of tomato plants two years ago in a late frost, I'm nervous to start too early.  Average last frost day in Spokane is tomorrow.  I'll probably get some plants in the ground this Saturday if the 7-day still looks like it will stay above freezing.

Tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins, strawberries, peas, carrots.  Maybe some gorilla glue if the legislature passes HB1019 here, but still a felony here without a medical card as of now.

Here’s the seed packet, @smltwnrckr. It’s from 2012, so I don’t know if they’re still viable, but I’m happy to send them to you if you like. I might even be dig a couple of starts out of my patch and send them, if you want. He pictured plant above is the original I planted nine years ago, but I no longer want them growing where they are, so I dug a few shoots three years ago to establish them elsewhere. Works fine. 

Edit: it’s illegal to ship live plants into CA from out of state, but they probably won’t have the artichoke sniffing dogs loose at the post office. Besides, they’re more concerned about soil attached to roots. I’d attempt wash all of that off and send clean starts with roots wrapped in a bag. I haven’t tried that with these plants, but think it’s doable. Plus, I have no known pathogens or nasty critters in my soil.

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

After losing a bunch of tomato plants two years ago in a late frost, I'm nervous to start too early.  Average last frost day in Spokane is tomorrow.  I'll probably get some plants in the ground this Saturday if the 7-day still looks like it will stay above freezing.

Tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins, strawberries, peas, carrots.  Maybe some gorilla glue if the legislature passes HB1019 here, but still a felony here without a medical card as of now.

I usually wait until after June 1 to plant out my summer crops. We’ve been hit with killing frosts into the second week of June at least three times since we moved into our current home in 1999. It’s in a bit of a frost pocket, but late frosts happen across the region every few years.

One can take precautions and cover the plants, but sometimes even that doesn’t work, and my garden is too large to mess with more involved protective measures for random, one-time events. Some day I’ll build a large high tunnel over the beds I will allocate to frost-sensitive vegetables and start growing them at the beginning of April. 

3 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I usually wait until after June 1 to plant out my summer crops. We’ve been hit with killing frosts into the second week of June at least three times since we moved into our current home in 1999. It’s in a bit of a frost pocket, but late frosts happen across the region every few years.

One can take precautions and cover the plants, but sometimes even that doesn’t work, and my garden is too large to mess with more involved protective measures for random, one-time events. Some day I’ll build a large high tunnel over the beds I will allocate to frost-sensitive vegetables and start growing them at the beginning of April. 

Same here.

I keep my warm weather stuff in pots until Memorial Day, so I can bring it indoors in the event of a late freeze.

.16200720569962272360554709650259.jpg.253213c12f826396bfb7833dca208b70.jpg

Americans Mayor

I usually plant my cool weather crops right after the snow melts in early to mid March. By the end of the month or early April we are munching on lettuce, kale, and radishes.

We've had such a cool spring that we weren't able to start munching until last weekend. 

My food patch:

16200734832614105146862157819519.jpg.27ea5b3a4b3669c1ff718ec4f1a53b63.jpg16200735274651212929778886691874.jpg.470fd63ed627e50b6145f6d5fec96264.jpg

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Is she trying different varieties, or is she stubbornly sticking with the huge globe artichoke types they grow over in Castroville? I’m pretty sure those won’t handle your heat. They also don’t like the cold I get up in Reno, so after some investigation, I ended up with a packet of seeds of an Italian variety. I’ll dig it out of my seed stash later and post it. It easily handles local low temps and doesn’t flinch at our summer heat, which is still 5-10 degrees below yours in the Valley, but pretty damn hot nonetheless. 

This is a picture of one of my two plants from late June, 2018. The chokes aren’t huge, but they are tasty and produce prolifically for a month every summer, plus they’re a nice structure plant when not producing food. The spines are vicious, though. I trim them all off as I harvest the chokes, otherwise I end up full of holes when I handle them in the kitchen.  

4CF7DEE7-6D67-4098-B101-65C81E9EC027.jpeg

She's probably just sticking to the globe ones they grow out here and sell in the supermarket. I'll keep my eyes out for these though especially of this year's artichoke harvest isnt a success again. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

It's all mine. That's the reason I rented this place, really. Bernal Heights is sort of out of the way, but the price was right and the backyard looked like something out of Sunset Magazine so I jumped on it.

I've never grown them in a pot before either. They do seem like heavy feeders as it was kind of touch and go getting them to start, then, once I started using my cannabis fertilizer cocktail on them, they took off.

Yours look awesome btw.

I just always pictured your garden to look something like this..

royal-slider-3-1024x449.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

9 hours ago, utenation said:

After the last accident with the meth lab, I'm no longer allowed to "grow" any garden whatsoever in my tiny little yard.  I did get nervous growing so much poppy near a school zone, so maybe it worked out for the best.  HOA/Trailer Park rules were amended after this.

Are Flower Pots a Fire Hazard? - Garden Myths

How are you with coca fields?

Asking for a friend.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 hours ago, RSF said:

How are you with coca fields?

Asking for a friend.

Depends. Do you have your own pilot?  If not, we can work one in. Even our bronze package comes with a fence and proper identifications.

B91DB578-19A0-4B68-A8BB-E97C614EEA99.jpeg

E28F94B0-8C05-491E-A44E-1D523BA2AFDA.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Bob said:

@Posturedoc If I have, say, four apples growing on a cluster should I thin two of them? I was watching Monty Don and he said you want no more than two.

Monty Don is correct. One is even better, as the spot where apples touch provides a protected place for insects to do damage, particularly coddling moth larvae, though maybe you don’t have to worry about them as much in your GH. Ideal spacing is one apple spaced around one every six inches. This looks like nothing when the apples are small, but once they’ve swelled to near their finished size, your tree is covered if you have a uniform fruit set across the tree. On the other hand, if all you have are a few clusters of fruit here and there on the tree, keep two per cluster.