Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

K-pop phenomenon

Still waiting for it to die off. I'm getting really sick of the Korean BBQ joints popping up on every corner too. It's cultural appropriation I tell you! First they took our mediocre music and made it shit, and now they are taking our mediocre food and making it shit!

Time for the GI's to come home. Clearly our work in Seoul is complete.

2 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I keep waiting for this thing to die, but it keeps getting bigger. My Niece has been into the Kpop scene since the beginning. It was the first "kids these days" moment for me and the first time I realized I am getting old.

Pops ?!?! Kellogg's Pops = K-Pop 

Kellogg's Corn Pops cereal

reggae/ska?

I also think there was a stretch when Ravi Shankar was a big deal and Indian music became a bit of a pop culture sensation. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Personally, I think K-Pop being a big deal in America is awesome. I mean, I am literally watching old metal videos on MTV classic right now. Anyone who says that garbage is somehow better than a mid level BTS song is an idiot. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Still waiting for it to die off. I'm getting really sick of the Korean BBQ joints popping up on every corner too. It's cultural appropriation I tell you! First they took our mediocre music and made it shit, and now they are taking our mediocre food and making it shit!

Time for the GI's to come home. Clearly our work in Seoul is complete.

Every culture throws meat on fire. Just wait for the fried chicken stands. Korea has more fried chicken restaurants per capita than any other country. Talk about cultural appropriation. 

10 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Over the last 8 years or so, K-pop has become a global cultural staple.  As big as any genre coming out of Europe or America *insert @Nevada Convert screams here* during the European invasion.  It transcends language with it's music alone.  It's art and fashion permeate every populated continent.  

So question for the old timers on here.  Has any non Eurocentric culture wave ever had this sort of impact?  It is pretty fascinating.  I hate the music, but am fascinated by the idea South Korea is shaping global pop culture right now in a way even the most famous US bands and genres really did not.  It's big in the ME, it is big in North America, South America, Europe and of course Asia.  It's cultural influence is going beyond just popular music but into fashion, art, visual media as a whole.

From South Korea...just pretty cool.  We have seen Western culture, see Hollywood and music of the 50's to current permeate the globe.  Have we ever seen a non Eurocentric cultural phenom do the same?

It's not just the music. My 84 year old mother watches Korean soap operas addictively.

30 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Every culture throws meat on fire. Just wait for the fried chicken stands. Korea has more fried chicken restaurants per capita than any other country. Talk about cultural appropriation. 

There's at least one place here in Boise. Haven't heard any K-pop bumping as I drove by, though. 

https://hanschimaek.com/menu.html

I've also heard good things about Korean corn dogs, but Brian Polian would be the best person to speak to their quality.

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Good point, I've seen more and more of those fried chicken joints pop up recently too. Better comparison of cultural appropriation.

Wondering when they move on to monster trucks and gun fetishing. :ph34r:

9 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Personally, I think K-Pop being a big deal in America is awesome. I mean, I am literally watching old metal videos on MTV classic right now. Anyone who says that garbage is somehow better than a mid level BTS song is an idiot. 

"Postmodernists probably love it."

Theory confirmed. :P

10 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think South Korean culture taking the West and much of the world by storm is really fascinating and cool.  Even if the BBQ is meh, the game shows are confusing and the music sucks.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I know a bit.

The pandemic and spending a lot of time at home introduced my little kids to YouTube sensations Blippi and BTS (the Terrible B’s).  I admit I never watched a BTS music video until a year ago, but their music videos are over the top artistic masterpieces with incredible choreographed dancing.  Music video quality and investment in the US were trending downward, but I think has bumped up a bit to compete with K-Pop (and J-Pop).  

If you and the kids are bored at home, a BTS music video and dancing in your living room, got us through many nights over the past year.

As an Asian American, I think it is awesome that my kids can watch on tv people who look like them.  Something that wasn’t the case for me decades ago.  YouTube and other forms of media have proliferated and content like this is no longer filtered by the larger companies that controlled tradition tv.  The “long tail” of media availability allows people to find content that appeals to them (hopefully this translates to more people watching Late Night Hawaii football on Facebook and whatever app - as opposed to ESPN or CBS Sports).  

I followed a predecessor of BTS around 10 years ago, called Big Bang (they were the most famous prior to the Gangnam Style guy, Psy).  They are more hard core (and manly) than BTS.  

Black Pink (girl group) also has exploded along with BTS.  What is cool about them, aside from being pretty hot, they feature four girls: one born in Korea, and two Koreans who grew up in the West, and one girl from Thailand who learned Korean.  So even though they are a “Korean” group, cultural and with the Thai girl Lisa, they are Pan-Asian at the least and global.

Korean artists for years have learned multiple languages: Japanese and English, to further their market appeal.  

This K-Pop phenomenon will only continue to grow.  The music company behind BTS recently bought the company behind Justin Bieber, etc and you will see more global collaborations, which I think is pretty great to get introduced to different artists from other countries.  When concerts are available again, watch out. 

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

It's not just the music. My 84 year old mother watches Korean soap operas addictively.

She's not the only one. We get KBS free over the air here. My Recast tv is filled Korean soap operas. Probably the most beautiful girls (besides my better half, of course) in the world star on them.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think South Korean culture taking the West and much of the world by storm is really fascinating and cool.  Even if the BBQ is meh, the game shows are confusing and the music sucks.

I just want Spike TV to come back with MXC marathons

15 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

I keep waiting for this thing to die, but it keeps getting bigger. My Niece has been into the Kpop scene since the beginning. It was the first "kids these days" moment for me and the first time I realized I am getting old.

Same for me about rap when I first heard it in the mid-eighties. I thought it was a cultural thing until my white, suburban son became a teenager in the aughts. Once he became a big fan of hip hop, I knew that heavy rhythm stuff was here to stay.

As to K-Pop, I don't get the allure of it any more than I did rap/hip hop but just as I supported most of that stuff as a good thing for "urban" Blacks, I view K-Pop as good for South Korea. Those folks may not be Americans but their country is a valuable ally of ours.