Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecMD

CSU Student Section - WTF???

8 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Looks damn cold!

Welcome to the Rockies late in the seaon. Coldest game I went to in recent memory was the Border War in Larmie on November 22, 2019.

image.png.f54c69caf9e121a86dec53e2a256fbe3.png

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Welcome to the Rockies late in the seaon. Coldest game I went to in recent memory was the Border War in Larmie on November 22, 2019.

image.png.f54c69caf9e121a86dec53e2a256fbe3.png

I was at that game. Drinking nice frosty cold beer...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

End zone seats are good seats. That's where the craziest fans sit, even for NFL games. It's tradition. Sideline seats are for people with money. End zone seats are for fans with passion. Think Dog Pound or Black Hole.  Students SHOULD be in the endzone

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 hours ago, Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits said:

San Jose State is my favorite student section in the mountain west. 

B9432E82-E23E-4BBB-8A18-273881DFDCAE.jpeg

Pathetic. Will be different this year though. That was during back to back dreadful seasons on top of not letting the kids tailgate. SJSU does some really dumb things at times, it’s true!

That old side of the stadium is gone now.  Not sure how this will all work out but visiting fans will sit in the upper deck now I believe. 

Btw, I’m old enough to remember the days when SJSU and Fresno State students used to travel back and forth to each other’s games. Had some great parties with each other back in the day. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 hours ago, justsurvive said:

CSU proved that having nice things doesn't mean much if the team isn't winning.

I agree but kids these days are different than they were in the past.  Used to be a lot of kids would go to the games to party, socialize, etc...even if the team was mediocre.  Now days kids won’t go unless the team is winning, and then still won’t stay all game. It’s pathetic. College football stadiums continue to shrink in size. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

17 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I’m old enough to remember the days when...

Is 1857 when you were born, or when you graduated?  Either way, I'm surprised you can remember anything from that far back.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

CSU-Boise-State-crowd.jpg

Boise State vs. CSU in Boise's first trip to Canvas in 2019.

That right there is a beautiful picture if you're a RAM fan.  First of all there was a very heavy snowstorm prior to the game and it was impossible to clear the field and all of the seats, so the AD made the decision to clear what they could and move all of the fans into those sections.  The beauty of it was that it illustrated where Bobo was taking the program.  An AD can forgive poor performance all day long in the name of character building, etc.  They will not forgive that kind of attendance.  An ugly moment at CSU was the catalyst for taking the next step.  We needed it.

On 4/29/2021 at 1:29 PM, AztecMD said:

As we are getting closer to completing the new Aztec stadium I am looking into other recently completed stadiums.  In looking at Canvas stadium why in Gods name did your AD put the students in the most prime seating in the stadium and give them soooo many seats?  (more than 10,000 in a 35k stadium).  Photos for any game for CSU other than the opener against Oregon State are pathetic and the location and amount of student section is one of the main culprits.  

Here is the attendance in the third quarter on September 18th with the Rams down one score.   What is going on?  You get a brand new stadium and can’t even get 15k to attend?   What a wasted opportunity.  

BB26CB23-6F6F-4822-B2DD-0BEB9EC54971.jpeg

I'm not gonna make excuses, but I'll lay it out for you.  First of all students leave at halftime.  Some come back.  If the team is playing like crap they are joined by alums and neither come back.  That's the east side of the stadium, the west side tends to do a little better even on a bad day.  CFB fans these days are fickle and many treat game day as more of a social event than a football game.  Canvas doesn't fill up until the middle of the first quarter even if it's a sellout.  That drives me nuts, I'm in my seat for warmups and stay till the gun, but it is what it is.

As far as the student section, the university is on the hook to give the students 10,000 seats as part of the deal to collect athletic fees.  Even when all 10,000 are picked up and used, the student section looks about 1/3 empty.  It always has, even at Hughes.  Students don't sit in seats, they stand side by side and have a party.  The fringes of the section are always empty because you'd need closer to 15,000 to fill it up with everyone standing.  You can't give those seats to the students, and then make them available for sale.  Those corners and edges will never fill up, even if we were in contention for a national championship.  Just how it is.

All that being said, our attendance is admittedly nowhere near where it should be.  The Mike Bobo era had a lot to do with that.  Good attendance early, then a clearly failing season and it's more fun to watch at the tailgate (or home) than in the stadium.  Late night games on TV haven't helped either.  Sitting out in the cold at night, watching your team lose, while the action on the field is stagnant for interminable commercial breaks is a very poor recipe for entertainment.  This is why the G5 has to find a better model (I don't know what it is) than accepting that they are just TV filler for the networks and quit being satisfied with just P5 scraps.

CSU needs to win, they need to do it at a reasonable hour, and they need to find a way to keep the attendees from being bored out of their minds except when the occasional football play interrupts the never ending commercial breaks.

It's a problem, no argument.  It's also a problem throughout college football.  Even teams like Michigan have reported a drop in demand for tickets.  At Michigan demand exceeds supply, so you don't see it in attendance, but according to their AD, it's there.

49 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm not gonna make excuses, but I'll lay it out for you.  First of all students leave at halftime.  Some come back.  If the team is playing like crap they are joined by alums and neither come back.  That's the east side of the stadium, the west side tends to do a little better even on a bad day.  CFB fans these days are fickle and many treat game day as more of a social event than a football game.  Canvas doesn't fill up until the middle of the first quarter even if it's a sellout.  That drives me nuts, I'm in my seat for warmups and stay till the gun, but it is what it is.

As far as the student section, the university is on the hook to give the students 10,000 seats as part of the deal to collect athletic fees.  Even when all 10,000 are picked up and used, the student section looks about 1/3 empty.  It always has, even at Hughes.  Students don't sit in seats, they stand side by side and have a party.  The fringes of the section are always empty because you'd need closer to 15,000 to fill it up with everyone standing.  You can't give those seats to the students, and then make them available for sale.  Those corners and edges will never fill up, even if we were in contention for a national championship.  Just how it is.

All that being said, our attendance is admittedly nowhere near where it should be.  The Mike Bobo era had a lot to do with that.  Good attendance early, then a clearly failing season and it's more fun to watch at the tailgate (or home) than in the stadium.  Late night games on TV haven't helped either.  Sitting out in the cold at night, watching your team lose, while the action on the field is stagnant for interminable commercial breaks is a very poor recipe for entertainment.  This is why the G5 has to find a better model (I don't know what it is) than accepting that they are just TV filler for the networks and quit being satisfied with just P5 scraps.

CSU needs to win, they need to do it at a reasonable hour, and they need to find a way to keep the attendees from being bored out of their minds except when the occasional football play interrupts the never ending commercial breaks.

It's a problem, no argument.  It's also a problem throughout college football.  Even teams like Michigan have reported a drop in demand for tickets.  At Michigan demand exceeds supply, so you don't see it in attendance, but according to their AD, it's there.

At SJSU we have fans that don’t like the heat during the day, then they don’t like the cold nights later in the season.  Three quarters of our fans are soft. I can only imagine if they had to come out after a snow storm. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

2 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

At SJSU we have fans that don’t like the heat during the day, then they don’t like the cold nights later in the season.  Three quarters of our fans are soft. I can only imagine if they had to come out after a snow storm. 

The networks make their bones on ratings.  They couldn't give a rats ass about attendance.  Their programming reflects this, and it has hurt the sport IMO.

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

The networks make their bones on ratings.  They couldn't give a rats ass about attendance.  Their programming reflects this, and it has hurt the sport IMO.

Yep. Put the game on TV and half the fans will chose the comfort of their own home. They will park their butt on the couch and drink cheaper beer at home. :shots:

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

11 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

Fresno State had their student section on the 50 yard line right behind the visiting team's bench for many years. Then in the mid 2000's we had the infamous June Jones legendary screwdriver story and after that the school moved the student section to the south endzone. 

Student section remained behind the visitor bench long after the screwdriver incident. I sat behind the visitor bench at the beginning of my college career and hurled more cuss words in those 3 hours than I have in my entire adult life, combined. If my memory serves me right, sometime around 2005 or 2006, schools in the old WAC complained about visitor benches behind opposing teams, specifically Fresno State, then the WAC banned it. That same year the Cal State system banned alcohol at games. So we were moved to the corner of the stadium without beer, it sucked ass. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

12 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Student section remained behind the visitor bench long after the screwdriver incident. I sat behind the visitor bench at the beginning of my college career and hurled more cuss words in those 3 hours than I have in my entire adult life, combined. If my memory serves me right, sometime around 2005 or 2006, schools in the old WAC complained about visitor benches behind opposing teams, specifically Fresno State, then the WAC banned it. That same year the Cal State system banned alcohol at games. So we were moved to the corner of the stadium without beer, it sucked ass. 

So I waded through the student section at the UNLV game in Canvas in '17 or '18 (not sure) just to tell my son that I was changing where we were meeting after the game, he wasn't answering his cell phone obviously.  To be honest, I was embarrassed by the verbal abuse the students were giving the UNLV players, but it seemed to be something they were used to and I guess most teams are.  Must be the standard anymore.  A few of the Reb backups were giving as good as they got, but one had to be restrained from climbing the wall and whupping some ass.  The crowd would've won, but he'd have hurt a bunch of folks.  There's a reason he was on the field and they were in the stands.  Anyway, after thinking about it...it was just a bunch of kids going at it with a bunch of kids.  Regardless of uniform or whatever.  I decided that I like where our student section is situated, even if it's not quantity it appears to be quality.

In my day (yes, late 1800's) we talked some trash, but not like today's game.  The point is that those punks in the CSU student section are RAMS for life.  They are invested.  They'll pay the bills. I'm sure our guys got the same treatment at Sam Boyd.  You just can't hate passion.

BTW, I told my son later that I thought he was an asshole for that crap.  He didn't reply.  I wouldn't have either, I would have just looked the other way and smiled back in the 1800's.

13 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

So I waded through the student section at the UNLV game in Canvas in '17 or '18 (not sure) just to tell my son that I was changing where we were meeting after the game, he wasn't answering his cell phone obviously.  To be honest, I was embarrassed by the verbal abuse the students were giving the UNLV players, but it seemed to be something they were used to and I guess most teams are.  Must be the standard anymore.  A few of the Reb backups were giving as good as they got, but one had to be restrained from climbing the wall and whupping some ass.  The crowd would've won, but he'd have hurt a bunch of folks.  There's a reason he was on the field and they were in the stands.  Anyway, after thinking about it...it was just a bunch of kids going at it with a bunch of kids.  Regardless of uniform or whatever.  I decided that I like where our student section is situated, even if it's not quantity it appears to be quality.

In my day (yes, late 1800's) we talked some trash, but not like today's game.  The point is that those punks in the CSU student section are RAMS for life.  They are invested.  They'll pay the bills. I'm sure our guys got the same treatment at Sam Boyd.  You just can't hate passion.

BTW, I told my son later that I thought he was an asshole for that crap.  He didn't reply.  I wouldn't have either, I would have just looked the other way and smiled back in the 1800's.

I specifically remember a large group of people yelling a lot of gay jokes at Andy Avalos- jokes that would be highly frowned upon in 2021. Avalos was obviously listening, because he turned around and blew kisses at us. It was well played. Pretty wild that he’s the HC now. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 4/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, TheTedfordTrain said:

Yeah, you all wrecked things for years. The CSU banned alcohol at games basically because the Fresno fans were drunken idiots. That’s the era when Jim Rome referred to Fresno fans as “battery chuckers”.  Took some time to get alcohol back. Please don’t ruin things again.  Act like you’ve had a beer before. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

My Freshman year was 2006 and we were in the South endzone, so 2005 had to have been the last year before they moved the student section and banned alcohol. I still have memories of the 2006 game against Oregon. Bulldog Stadium was electric that night, my ears were ringing. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

35 minutes ago, ridgeview2 said:

My Freshman year was 2006 and we were in the South endzone, so 2005 had to have been the last year before they moved the student section and banned alcohol. I still have memories of the 2006 game against Oregon. Bulldog Stadium was electric that night, my ears were ringing. 

Oh yeah I remember that Oregon game in 2006. Bulldog Stadium absolutely rocking that game. That game sold out that Monday leading to the game. That and 2008 Wisconsin at home was the loudest I’ve seen that stadium. Of course, 2001 Oregon State game probably takes the cake out of all. I love our stadium and the bowl style where the stands sits right on top of the field. Just needs some tunnels and easier access to seats, but I don’t mind the workout. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg