Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Biden is a threat to our freedoms and should be impeached immediately

54 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Obviously, the FDA and the Surgeon General telling Americans for over six decades that smoking is harmful and hazardous hasn't worked. Nor have graphic pics of people's devestated lungs or that guy smoking through his stoma.

In the last 2 decades, the number of smokers in the US has dropped from 23% to 13%.  Smokers may be dying off, but fewer people are taking it up in their place.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/184418/percentage-of-cigarette-smoking-in-the-us/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

A friend moved into a smoke free apartment complex and moved out two days later because she was suffering from second hand cig smoke inhalation.

Everybody in the joint smokes in the bathrooms and the odor moves from apartment to apartment via the air vents. Don't ask me how, the smell is powerfully strongest in the bathroom where the fart fans are.

Smoking in the privacy of "Your home" does impact others. Negatively 

I assume by "smoking" you mean tobacco.

These days here in the San Fernando Valley, I smell cigarette smoke about twice a week. However, even though I haven't partaken myself for many years, I smell weed at least every other day. As an example, when I visited my local liquor store to buy a 6-pack a couple nights ago, a guy about 25 rushed in asking for a pack of cigarettes and told the guy behind the counter to "keep the change" because he had a bus to catch. That 25-year-old absolutely reeked of weed.

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Obviously, the FDA and the Surgeon General telling Americans for over six decades that smoking is harmful and hazardous hasn't worked. Nor have graphic pics of people's devestated lungs or that guy smoking through his stoma.

Something about "Muh Freedoms" or "My body, my choice" is more powerful than the health warnings.

I haven't seen any studies regarding the effectiveness of incentive plans.

People are going to people regardless of the consequences.

mothers day smoking GIF

When you have a monster get so big that’s so addictive and popularly ingrained in our culture including the highest level decision makers in government, there’s not a lot you can do but chip away year by year and target the younger kids with the horrors that will await them if they do. 

They didn’t put the surgeon general warnings on packs until 1970. But slowly the culture has been moving away from smoking. Back in the 40’s and 50’s, Jesus everyone smoked. Icons Limbaugh and Eddie Van Halen just died because of smoking, and seeing hero’s to some have their lives ended early is another thing that’s worked against smoking. 

Now many companies just allow it outside in a small designated area and they almost look like shunned people in society on display. I just refer to it as the Cancer Club hang out.

Look, I have no problem with people that smoke a little here and there. Your body can get rid of quite a bit of toxins every day. But if you do it every day, your body can’t deal with that much poison. Moderation is the common sense approach to anything. You can even die of water intoxication/toxicity if you take in too much water whether it’s got minerals in it or purely distilled. Marathon runners are at risk. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I assume by "smoking" you mean tobacco.

These days here in the San Fernando Valley, I smell cigarette smoke about twice a week. However, even though I haven't partaken myself for many years, I smell weed at least every other day. As an example, when I visited my local liquor store to buy a 6-pack a couple nights ago, a guy about 25 rushed in asking for a pack of cigarettes and told the guy behind the counter to "keep the change" because he had a bus to catch. That 25-year-old absolutely reeked of weed.

When I was in 7th grade, chewing tobacco was hugely popular at my school. It was easy to get busted smoking because you’d smell like an ash tray in class, the smoke is easy to see when doing it, but chew was easy to conceal and what you’re spitting into. I was hooked in 7th and 8th grade and quit in 9th due to FB and wrestling. But I had friends continue and by the end of HS and college a few of my friends got cancer in their mouths. It was really ugly. A lot of baseball players get cancer that way. Here and there chewing is fine, but every day chronic use is bad news. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

There's the rub.

A friend moved into a smoke free apartment complex and moved out two days later because she was suffering from second hand cig smoke inhalation.

Everybody in the joint smokes in the bathrooms and the odor moves from apartment to apartment via the air vents. Don't ask me how, the smell is powerfully strongest in the bathroom where the fart fans are.

Smoking in the privacy of "Your home" does impact others. Negatively 

People that smoke in their home are mentally ill.  I remember picking up  tax docs from a client, she opens her door and a massive cloud of smoke comes out.  The paper tax docs were fcking yellow, made my car and office stink.  I quickly scanned them into the computer and then zip locked them into a plastic bag.  

12 hours ago, RSF said:

In the last 2 decades, the number of smokers in the US has dropped from 23% to 13%.  Smokers may be dying off, but fewer people are taking it up in their place.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/184418/percentage-of-cigarette-smoking-in-the-us/

You can't tell by the denizens of Ogden nor by the apartment hunting my friend is attempting. All the so called No smoking places are worse than a Nevada saloon on Friday Night.

More and more youth, like my dumass grandkids are vaping now. So, yes, tobacco smoking may be going down, but vaping is on the rise.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

When you have a monster get so big that’s so addictive and popularly ingrained in our culture including the highest level decision makers in government, there’s not a lot you can do but chip away year by year and target the younger kids with the horrors that will await them if they do. 

They didn’t put the surgeon general warnings on packs until 1970. But slowly the culture has been moving away from smoking. Back in the 40’s and 50’s, Jesus everyone smoked. Icons Limbaugh and Eddie Van Halen just died because of smoking, and seeing hero’s to some have their lives ended early is another thing that’s worked against smoking. 

Now many companies just allow it outside in a small designated area and they almost look like shunned people in society on display. I just refer to it as the Cancer Club hang out.

I guess I started smoking at conception. My parents and every adult I knew smoked. I had an Uncle Kent who smoked Kents. An Uncle Phil who smoked Phillip Morris. I started at 16 and thankfully put the cigs behind me 15-20 years ago.

I watched my father die from lung cancer caused by smoking and asbestos exposure in the Navy. What a Horrible way to go. Many of my parents friends and now my friends, while dying from the effects of smoking, with their dying puff off a cig while connected to an oxygen tank say, "Smoking is my best friend."

I remember going to the doctor in the mid sixties because my sister and I had chest colds.The doc walks in with a cig hanging out of his mouth, puts on his stethoscope and tells me to breathe in deeply.

He didn't need to tell me to cough.

jeff dunham smoking GIF

Yet, our society and big tobacco, despite lawsuits, advertising campaigns about the dangers and advertising restrictions, are still determined to smoke or vape.

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
31 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You can't tell by the denizens if Ogden nor by the apartment hunting my friend is attempting. All the so called No smoking places are worse than a Nevada saloon on Friday Night.

A lot of smoking riff raff on 25th street.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

A lot of smoking riff raff on 25th street.

And 24th, and 23rd,.........

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Spaztecs said:

And 24th, and 23rd,.........

Odd that Ogden has so much ghetto.

Over by Fort Buenaventura is the worst 

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Odd that Ogden has so much ghetto.

Over by Fort Buenaventura is the worst 

Back in the 70's and 80's after the RR pulled out and turned Ogden into a dying community, the City Father's has a grand idea to build a lot of rehab facilities here along with probation and early release parole facilities. Most communities in Utah were passing ordinances to restrict them, so Ogden decided to be ground zero and cash in.

The problem is most of these ex cons and pedophiles stuck around after their sentences ended. I have friends who told me stories of going down to Two Bit street just to harass the drug addicts and hookers for the fun of it.

When I arrived in '94, most of Central Ogden was loaded with ex cons, drug addicts, and worse. It has become better and the bad parts of town have become smaller as well.

The Fort Bonny area is improving. On the north side of 24th by the old  stockyards, that whole area has gone through a major amount of urban renewal. Roosters has a macro brewery/dining facility and the Five Wives Distellery has a dining, purchase, and gathering space as well. A carbon bike frame manufacturer is doing well down there and the old Swift Meat processing facility plus the Smith and Edwards buildings have been torn down.

Americans Mayor

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Back in the 70's and 80's after the RR pulled out and turned Ogden into a dying community, the City Father's has a grand idea to build a lot of rehab facilities here along with probation and early release parole facilities. Most communities in Utah were passing ordinances to restrict them, so Ogden decided to be ground zero and cash in.

The problem is most of these ex cons and pedophiles stuck around after their sentences ended. I have friends who told me stories of going down to 25th At just to harass the drug addicts and hookers for the fun of it.

When I arrived in '94, most of Central Ogden was loaded with ex cons, drug addicts, and worse. It has become better and the bad parts of town have become smaller as well.

But yeah, not much has changed since the RR became the 600 lb economic gorilla in Ogden 

Probably why normal people with families fled to safer, surrounding communities.

South Ogden, North Ogden, Harrisville...etc

Like most kids I tried smoking when I was 11 or 12. One cigarette was enough to convince me why the hell am I even doing this. Never smoked again until the military and college when I smoked weed now and then. After college I never smoked again. My wife was a smoker and quit after we had been married for five years. Smoking is a disgusting addiction. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Like most kids I tried smoking when I was 11 or 12. One cigarette was enough to convince me why the hell am I even doing this. Never smoked again until the military and college when I smoked weed now and then. After college I never smoked again. My wife was a smoker and quit after we had been married for five years. Smoking is a disgusting addiction. 

Preach GIF

Americans Mayor