Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

How does the G5 move forward?

I watched FCS football this spring thanks to my ESPN+ subscription.  I decided to not let this sports year go to waste and see if I could do some realigning of my college sports in case I start to sour on P5 football in general especially after the impact of the NIL legislation is felt.  I do not think there is much separating the G5 conferences from the top FCS conferences out there.  The new WAC football conference could be back to FBS by the end of this decade and the Atlantic Sun conference is planning on the same thing.

As someone who prefers that things are fair and square, I'm not a big fan of the College Football Playoffs because I don't see that as a big improvement over the old BCS system.  It could be argued that the old bowl system before the BCS was much better and determining the best team was left up to voters.  Seeing that the FCS has those auto-bids for every conference that is willing to participate in the FCS playoffs, I like the idea of the G5 having its own playoff system with auto-bids and I'd back that kind of stuff over what the P5 has.

An eight team G5 playoff would be great.  Five auto-bids and three at large teams seems to be enough.

14 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

The same P5 teams dominate the Top10 every year. That’s what’s wrong with college football. There really are only about 10 teams that can win the National title. 

I read an article (can’t remember if it was ESPN or The Athletic) that made a compelling argument that this is almost all because of the 4 team playoff. The TLDR is that top recruits can see that outside of the SEC their only consistent path to the playoff is at Clemson, OU, OSU, and to a lesser extent ND, so more and more top talent is concentrating at those schools. If the playoff is expanded we will probably see talent spread out a little more among the P5. 

13 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

UW is the BYU of the PAC. Buncha back in the good ol' days fans there. They had it as good as it's going to get when Pete was there. It'll never be better than that for them.

Oregon is a way better brand and program currently.

Oregon has Nike. And obviously that’s a big deal. I agree UW has done less with more for a long time. You think BYU and UW fell hard after losing legends? We’ll see what happens to Oregon once Mr. Knight leaves the building. 

Ideally it would be nice to have an 8 team playoff with 5 auto bids, 2 at larges, and the top G-5 team. But knowing the college football playoff committee, it’ll probably be 3 at large teams. I think it would be a horrible thing for the G-5 to split and form their own league. We need those OOC games for $$$. Plus, fan bases get more excited when we play Pac-12 and other P5 schools, especially here in Fresno. We always bring a lot of fans to UCLA and USC. Our fans want to see us play those games, and we don’t necessarily get hyped when we play New Mexico or Wyoming(no disrespect) just the way it is. I do like how the current set up is but there needs to be some modifications in order for it to be a more level playing field. Let’s start with an 8-team playoff as mentioned above. 

BDS.jpeg.b92a1351cc7ee6a0de0c311059007356.jpeg

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Oregon has Nike. And obviously that’s a big deal. I agree UW has done less with more for a long time. You think BYU and UW fell hard after losing legends? We’ll see what happens to Oregon once Mr. Knight leaves the building. 

UW was in the playoffs in 2016. Pretty darn good under Pete after he got his show rolling.  He also got his team to the Rose Bowl and the Fiesta in his tenure of 6 years as coach. 

I also think it's very early to call Jimmy Lake a failure or success with only 4 games under his belt(3-1).

3 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I get it. I don't necessarily disagree. Pete is like a generational coach, but he's also a guy who has perspective and more money than you could ever want, so I think he just kind of stepped away because of that. 

I still think Knight will still keep Oregon set up nice when he dies some day, but kids think Oregon is cooler than Washington these days, imo. Washington is desperate to return to the program they were from about 1980-2000. They did have a great year under Petersen but they haven't been the program they were in the 80s going to the Rose Bowl all the time and finishing in the top 10 all the time. Washington fan thinks they're on the cusp of being that program again. I guess we'll see. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I get it. I don't necessarily disagree. Pete is like a generational coach, but he's also a guy who has perspective and more money than you could ever want, so I think he just kind of stepped away because of that. 

I still think Knight will still keep Oregon set up nice when he dies some day, but kids think Oregon is cooler than Washington these days, imo. Washington is desperate to return to the program they were from about 1980-2000. They did have a great year under Petersen but they haven't been the program they were in the 80s going to the Rose Bowl all the time and finishing in the top 10 all the time. Washington fan thinks they're on the cusp of being that program again. I guess we'll see. 

And UW brings in the cash. That’s a wealthy program. 

On 4/25/2021 at 4:17 PM, Headbutt said:

First of all, there will be no P6, end of story.  Maybe a P4.  In the end, while there is a very outside shot for one or two G5 teams to move into the upper echelon in the next round of realignment and potential playoff expansion, the rest of us will remain seated at the kiddie table.  I don't think there's any getting around that.

So, now what?  Ever since P5 autonomy became official the G5 has been hanging around in CFB purgatory.  Hanging on to the P5 scraps but maintaining our superiority to FCS.  At some point the G5 has to stop allowing power brokers from conferences that we're not even associated with to determine our future.

What's everyone's opinion on how the G5 conferences should proceed.  Legal action?  A complete breakaway?  Status quo?

Serious question, no AAC delusion please.

I would first say don't confuse a marketing strategy with delusion and second I agree that 'P4' is what they really want to see happen.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

12 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I read an article (can’t remember if it was ESPN or The Athletic) that made a compelling argument that this is almost all because of the 4 team playoff. The TLDR is that top recruits can see that outside of the SEC their only consistent path to the playoff is at Clemson, OU, OSU, and to a lesser extent ND, so more and more top talent is concentrating at those schools. If the playoff is expanded we will probably see talent spread out a little more among the P5. 

Yes, this is what is happening. We’ve got top recruits from CA going to Alabama because of the playoff system.  Want to know why the Pac12 is down?  Look no farther than west coast talent going to the SEC.  Want to know why college football is losing popularity?  Because only 6-8 teams matter in the title hunt. Everyone had high hopes that a playoff system would be more fair, but really it has been the exact opposite.  Now the players want to be paid, basically setting up a P4 semi pro level.  College football is destroying itself. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

I had a feeling that the playoff would be another biased system like the BCS was, and sadly I was right.  Breaking away would only seal the G5 to certain doom as it still does not attract enough viewers.  Colorado State may have opened up a new stadium in recent years, but that hasn't translated into a higher attendance rate.

One of the things that needs to happen is a reduction in bowl games, maybe by about 35%.  We have seen time and time again over the last several years that players and coaches alike have been skipping them so that they can get a head start on their next gig.  This has relegated bowl games to glorified exhibitions, meaning that they are "practice for next year."  The current system allows 6-6 teams, as well as too many 7-5 teams to participate.  Reduce the number of bowl games, and you incentivize the teams to win more games during the regular season.  Many players and coaches don't seem to care much about these bowl games anyways, so why keep having them?

I know that there are many folks in the MW who don't like Robert Kustra, but he knew how to play the political game.  Maybe bring him out of retirement to provide some examples on how to improve the situation? :hmmm:

44 minutes ago, justsurvive said:

One of the things that needs to happen is a reduction in bowl games, maybe by about 35%.  

+ 100. It used to be a big deal. Now you just have to be .500 (and not even that). But the days of 7-5 teams going to bowls over 9-3 teams, because their fan base is crazy and will buy tickets to anything isn't better.

1 hour ago, justsurvive said:

I had a feeling that the playoff would be another biased system like the BCS was, and sadly I was right.  Breaking away would only seal the G5 to certain doom as it still does not attract enough viewers.  Colorado State may have opened up a new stadium in recent years, but that hasn't translated into a higher attendance rate.

One of the things that needs to happen is a reduction in bowl games, maybe by about 35%.  We have seen time and time again over the last several years that players and coaches alike have been skipping them so that they can get a head start on their next gig.  This has relegated bowl games to glorified exhibitions, meaning that they are "practice for next year."  The current system allows 6-6 teams, as well as too many 7-5 teams to participate.  Reduce the number of bowl games, and you incentivize the teams to win more games during the regular season.  Many players and coaches don't seem to care much about these bowl games anyways, so why keep having them?

I know that there are many folks in the MW who don't like Robert Kustra, but he knew how to play the political game.  Maybe bring him out of retirement to provide some examples on how to improve the situation? :hmmm:

When were bowl games not a glorified exhibition? Even the "big" ones outside of the playoffs aren't that big of a deal these days.  Did any of you guys have fun watching Florida have half their team skip and then get their asses kicked by Spencer Rattler? 

Bowls were better when there were less of them. They used to feature ranked teams against each other more frequently. Thing is, if bowls go away, the G5 is where teams will suffer. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, justsurvive said:

I don't see any reduction in bowl games coming, it's just not in the trend.  I'm fine with that because I'll take all the post season football I can get.  Even if the G5 gets a token trip to the CFP, their real focus needs to be on improving the quality of the bowl games for the rest of the top teams.  A 5-7 4th place CUSA team vs a 5-7 5th place Sunbelt team is fine with me if they can get the eyeballs to make it cash flow, but we really need our 9 and 10 win teams to be in a bowl that matters.

I'd take two really good teams from the G5 squaring off over a top G5 team playing an 8th place Big 12 squad, but however it gets done, our best need to get into better bowls.  Keep the crap bowls, they give teams a chance for post season practice and they help feed my post season binge, but we definitely need to find our way into some more high profile stuff for the top teams.

31 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

When were bowl games not a glorified exhibition? Even the "big" ones outside of the playoffs aren't that big of a deal these days.  Did any of you guys have fun watching Florida have half their team skip and then get their asses kicked by Spencer Rattler? 

Bowls were better when there were less of them. They used to feature ranked teams against each other more frequently. Thing is, if bowls go away, the G5 is where teams will suffer. 

Some P5 teams would suffer as well.  That is why bowl games need to be reduced, so that ALL teams would be motivated to win more games.

Just now, justsurvive said:

Some P5 teams would suffer as well.  That is why bowl games need to be reduced, so that ALL teams would be motivated to win more games.

I don't disagree, but the bowls are more likely to make a deal with the P5 leagues.

35 minutes ago, justsurvive said:

I'm missing the part where teams aren't motivated to win more games.

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'm missing the part where teams aren't motivated to win more games.

If you know that all you need is a 6-6 record to become bowl eligible, then you aren't going to be as "amped up" to win as many games as you would have had to 10-20 years ago.  Factor in the players and coaches who frequently skip bowl games nowadays, and you have teams that aren't going to be excited about most bowl games these days.

12 minutes ago, justsurvive said:

If you know that all you need is a 6-6 record to become bowl eligible, then you aren't going to be as "amped up" to win as many games as you would have had to 10-20 years ago.  Factor in the players and coaches who frequently skip bowl games nowadays, and you have teams that aren't going to be excited about most bowl games these days.

I want nothing to do with a team that is satisfied with 6-6.  I actually don't believe such a team exists.

On 4/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, Headbutt said:

G5 only applies in football.  The artificial barrier exists in BB as well, but is not as prevalent or blatant.  YET.

The artificial barrier is falling further as the top players go to the G league.

"There’s no reason the FBS can’t do the same."

There are two reasons the FBS does not.

P5 has the money and they do not want to share it.

P5 has the votes.