Del Scorcho

LOL, Fox News is becoming the Enquirer/Weekly World News/the Onion

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

@Joe from WY, since you live in the city now, and you and I have similar tastes in dives, check out Sub Center in West Portal for a good sandwich. They had an Italian sausage sub I used to love. It’s been there forever (they also have, or had, a place in the inner Sunset that wasn’t as good). Worth a stop if you’re in that neighborhood.

Do not start me on SF eateries! I’ve eaten at a number of excellent spots, but I continually feel as if I’m missing out on the one million other places in the area I have yet to dine in. A couple of my favorites, luckily almost neighbors, so you can grab food for later from one while you gorge at the other. @Joe from WY, you’re included.

Burma Superstar/B-Star. Two (actually three, since there’s a takeout shop attached to one that doesn’t serve the full menu) places a block apart on Clement. They’re the same restaurant, just with slightly different names. They are always busy when The Wife and I dine there when we visit SF, usually with lines out the door. The food is so damn good, much different than other regional Asian cuisine. 

Ariscualt Bakery, on Arguello one shop up from where Clement T’s into it. I’m a sucker for pastry, and this place knocks it out of the park. So much buttery, flakey goodness. There is almost always a line out the door here too. They often sell out early and close up before their posted hours are completed, around 2:00 pm, I believe.

Neither of these places are dives, but they aren’t snooty affairs either.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Do not start me on SF eateries! I’ve eaten at a number of excellent spots, but I continually feel as if I’m missing out on the one million other places in the area I have yet to dine in. A couple of my favorites, luckily almost neighbors, so you can grab food for later from one while you gorge at the other. @Joe from WY, you’re included.

Burma Superstar/B-Star. Two (actually three, since there’s a takeout shop attached to one that doesn’t serve the full menu) places a block apart on Clement. They’re the same restaurant, just with slightly different names. They are always busy when The Wife and I dine there when we visit SF, usually with lines out the door. The food is so damn good, much different than other regional Asian cuisine. 

Ariscualt Bakery, on Arguello one shop up from where Clement T’s into it. I’m a sucker for pastry, and this place knocks it out of the park. So much buttery, flakey goodness. There is almost always a line out the door here too. They often sell out early and close up before their posted hours are completed, around 2:00 pm, I believe.

Neither of these places are dives, but they aren’t snooty affairs either.

San Francisco is such an incredible food town.

• Like 4

How come more of you guys know about SF more than Denver?? We're at least in the MW footprint-ish...

I do enjoy SF though. Amazing food and had a great time at Anchor (sp?) Brewery

6 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

How come more of you guys know about SF more than Denver?? We're at least in the MW footprint-ish...

San Francisco is in the footprint, too. The mountain west football champs are from the Bay Area, after all. I’ve been to Denver and like it, but just have spent far more time in SF.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

San Francisco is in the footprint, too. The mountain west football champs are from the Bay Area, after all. I’ve been to Denver and like it, but just have spent far more time in SF.

Wow. I have a confession. I stopped really paying attention to MWC sports since UNM started to suck in basketball (post Alford), so like 5-7 years...

San Jose State actually won the MWC football championship!? O. M.G.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Wow. I have a confession. I stopped really paying attention to MWC sports since UNM started to suck in basketball (post Alford), so like 5-7 years...

San Jose State actually won the MWC football championship!? O. M.G.

I watched it and it is no less shocking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This thread is classic MWC Boarding, and one of the big reasons I love this place. The original topic of the thread died 3/4 of the way through page 1 and went off into a glorious tangent on the merits of burger joints and taco stands. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Fake news. Heard good things about Blake’s from you New Mexicans. But Whattaburger is not good.

This is correct. Blake's LottaBurger is hands down the best fast food burger I've ever had. Whattaburger is hot garbage.

I gotta get me my LottaBurger in Gallup as soon as I cross the border. I am fine starving the family to make sure it happens.

20200916_141319.jpg

• Like 3

That's what they've always been. And the (supposedly) intellectual conservatives aren't much better:

QTs in response:

In the long run, we're all dead.

And @SharkTanked is right, Lottaburger is amaze balls.

Burgerville, up in Oregon, where @Orange was assistant to the assistant manager is another good regional chain. Same with Zips up in Spokane.

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

In the long run, we're all dead.

And @SharkTanked is right, Lottaburger is amaze balls.

Burgerville, up in Oregon, where @Orange was assistant to the assistant manager is another good regional chain. Same with Zips up in Spokane.

You're sparring with orange  in mwc board off topic forum was legendary.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I got bad memories from that bar, the Ryan Finley BYU game.  

The Dutch Goose I believe was @RogueStout’s favorite.  

The Goose was great before they remodeled and tried to become a normal restaurant. They guy finally sold it, we’ll see what it turns into. Sounds like they’re trying to turn it into a hipster gastropub.

Gil’s is a great spot and they have the best chicken fried steak I’ve ever had.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Gil’s is a great spot and they have the best chicken fried steak I’ve ever had.

Better than Joe Momma’s?!

3 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Better than Joe Momma’s?!

Have not been there but agree the chicken fried at Gil's is amazing.  The chicken fried itself is full of flavor, not overly breaded and the country grave is A+.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Have not been there but agree the chicken fried at Gil's is amazing.  The chicken fried itself is full of flavor, not overly breaded and the country grave is A+.  

Joe Momma’s is my favorite breakfast place in the area, could never get myself to order anything but chicken fried steak and their home fries are great.  Only issue is I don’t believe they have a liquor license.  

20 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Sometimes you take things too literally.

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t take people at their word, particularly on this board. Maybe you need to be more nuanced and explain yourself better? 

11 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah, I know I shouldn’t take people at their word, particularly on this board. Maybe you need to be more nuanced and explain yourself better? 

And what fun would that be? 

There's a burger joint near the station in the burbs of Houston (The Shack) that has amazing burgers and a very eclectic place that looks like it should be in Austin. The burgers are amazing, but it would be unfair to compare it to the In-N-Outs or Whataburgers of the world. Even Five Guys & Fatburger (which I like better than 5 Guys) is a strata above the true fast food places.  

Shack.jpg.5100852ad9fdda66fef4298b1826deea.jpg

19 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

Even despite all the competition it now has, Anchor Steam is still a darned fine brew. Reminds me of the sadly deceased Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve from Portland. For decades I drank each of them whenever I could rather than the stuff from Denver, Milwaukee and St. Louis.

• Cheers 4