Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Every republican in Idaho is complete scum. Yes, that means, you, your dad, mom and uncle too.

Why can’t Idaho ranchers sit down with ranchers from New Mexico and Arizona? Ranchers from both states have figured out how to live with the reintroduction of the Mexican Grey Wolf, and they’ve done it very successfully.
This is a knee jerk reaction to a problem that has already been solved in the Southwest. 

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

Why can’t Idaho ranchers sit down with ranchers from New Mexico and Arizona? Ranchers from both states have figured out how to live with the reintroduction of the Mexican Grey Wolf, and they’ve done it very successfully.
This is a knee jerk reaction to a problem that has already been solved in the Southwest. 

The government pays them top dollar for every animal killed, too.

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Blues was always dead on with this.  Ranchers are the worst.

Yeap. He and I had our differences to say the least but we were lockstep on this issue. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 minute ago, AndroidAggie said:

please explain why it's so awful that the wolves are killed

(asking out of pure ignorance)

Because there is no valid reason to kill off 80% of the population.

Other ranchers in the Southwest have figured out how to live with wolves, why can’t Idaho ranchers do the same? I’m not even an expert on the numbers of livestock taken by wolves, but I’m willing to bet it’s on par with the numbers taken by coyotes, cougars, and feral dogs. When I was a kid, feral dogs were our biggest issue with our livestock.

8 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

please explain why it's so awful that the wolves are killed

(asking out of pure ignorance)

The wolves are hugely beneficial for watersheds, and Idaho has some of the most precious watersheds ecologically in North America, being spawning ground for salmon and steelhead, as well as some of the best water for bull trout.  

Research in 2020 showed that wolves had created stronger, more resilient elk herds.

Carcasses they leave are huge for other predators and scavengers, from the mustelids (weasel family) to bears, to birds of prey.

Plus, they add to the entire outdoor experience.  

6 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Because there is no valid reason to kill off 80% of the population.

Other ranchers in the Southwest have figured out how to live with wolves, why can’t Idaho ranchers do the same? I’m not even an expert on the numbers of livestock taken by wolves, but I’m willing to bet it’s on par with the numbers taken by coyotes, cougars, and feral dogs. When I was a kid, feral dogs were our biggest issue with our livestock.

Wolves kill about 5,000 cattle a year in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Wyoming combined.  Those states have a combined 13,600,000 or so cattle.  So about 0.04% of cattle are killed a year by wolves.

It's a culture thing, it's not a REAL issue.

Wolves have become a part of this ever escalating culture war.  Getting really sick of this shit.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wolves kill about 5,000 cattle a year in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Wyoming combined.  Those states have a combined 13,600,000 or so cattle.  So about 0.04% of cattle are killed a year by wolves.

Wolves have become a part of this ever escalating culture war.  Getting really sick of this shit.

My grandfather and my dad always told us that losing a couple head of cattle a year to predators was the price of doing business, and it was up to us to figure out how to live with it. 

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

My grandfather and my dad always told us that losing a couple head of cattle a year to predators was the price of doing business, and it was up to us to figure out how to live with it. 

Nowadays the government recoups your losses, even.

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Wolves have been a lightning rod since the beginning. My former brother-in-law retired after many years working a fed job in predator control.  From the time the wolves were introduced, it was SSSU (shoot, shovel, shut up) for many in the remote areas.  The suburban and rural hunter “morans” joined ranks early. 

Disease and weather kill more livestock than all predators combined. Idaho ranchers know this. They’re just full of shit.

Just now, grandjean87 said:

Wolves have been a lightning rod since the beginning. My former brother-in-law retired after many years working a fed job in predator control.  From the time the wolves were introduced, it was SSSU (shoot, shovel, shut up) for many in the remote areas.  The suburban and rural hunter “morans” joined ranks early. 

That convenient store in Horseshoe Bend has been selling wolf killing T-shirts and bumper stickers for years.

8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nowadays the government recoups your losses, even.

And recoup is a loose word for it..... Last year wyoming gave a rancher 339k for dozens of kills... Ridiculous. Pretty good business to have you animals killed by predators. 

https://www.wyofile.com/panel-abandons-griz-depredation-comp-model-awards-ranch-339k/

Just now, tspoke said:

And recoup is a loose word for it..... Last year wyoming gave a rancher 339k for dozens of kills... Ridiculous. Pretty good business to have you animals killed by predators. 

https://www.wyofile.com/panel-abandons-griz-depredation-comp-model-awards-ranch-339k/

Seriously.