Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

How would u change the policing in our country?

- Take away their Military Grade Hardware.

-Change their training so they don't have an us against the world attitude.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

I think much more training and better pay would be good places to start. No one wants to be a cop because it’s a shit job. You have to be a social worker, crime enforcer, therapist and city ordinance expert. It’s an impossible job to do well in most cases, especially when you have to assume everyone you encounter could have a loaded gun. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Handguns and a shotgun in the cruiser? What exactly do you propose they use when the criminals have the same or worse? This is an extremely unrealistic take. 

34 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Make a 4 yr degree mandatory with extensive courses and selective screening. 

I think people would be surprised to know that 1/3 of all cops have a 4 year degree and 1/2 have at least a 2 year degree, but more education is always better for any occupation. The problem with requiring a 4 year degree is that you then start getting into the argument about losing out on minority candidates who don't go to college, either due to culture, economics or whatever. This is where the "defund the police" movement could maybe make some inroads by asking that some of the police budget be used to send the candidates through a two year program that focuses on things that cops need. There is no need for a cop to study English Lit or philosophy (though it certainly wouldn't hurt). 

Said it a bunch here. Every death at the hands of police should be turned over to a body similar to a civil grand jury. An independent judicial body that has the power to subpoena but not the power to indict. That grand jury should investigate every instance of police killing and issue a public finding with its recommendation to the department and the DA. Key word is public. Even if they dont recommend charges, there should be a comprehensive public account of what happened and what should happen now. 

That would be a good start. You kill someone as a cop, the people investigate the killing and issue a report independent of law enforcement agencies. That report is public. End of story.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Criminal justice reform has to come first. Police don't need to be worrying about victimless crimes.

The fewer crimes police have to worry about the better. Then, they should focus on de-escalating situations, not shooting people or their family dogs.

8 hours ago, Nevada6077 said:

???

I think the answer might be more along the lines of how we can help them do a job that no one on this board is doing.

Stop backing criminals who have outstanding warrants and are armed.

Stop backing parents who let a 13 year old out on the streets at 2:30am with an adult who's armed.

Stop backing crying parents whos 16 year old daughter was about to murder another child. 

Start holding police officers accountable for egregious actions...prosecute to the full extent of the law.

This is a two way street but for some damn reason it's gotten skewed. 

Accountability should go in all directions.

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Said it a bunch here. Every death at the hands of police should be turned over to a body similar to a civil grand jury. An independent judicial body that has the power to subpoena but not the power to indict. That grand jury should investigate every instance of police killing and issue a public finding with its recommendation to the department and the DA. Key word is public. Even if they dont recommend charges, there should be a comprehensive public account of what happened and what should happen now. 

That would be a good start. You kill someone as a cop, the people investigate the killing and issue a report independent of law enforcement agencies. That report is public. End of story.

Oh, and end the war on drugs. Legalize everything. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Make a 4 yr degree mandatory with extensive courses and selective screening. 

I disagree.   I graduated with an MBA first in my class and I would be a horrible cop.  

To be effective as a street cop, you have to be able to see a bunch of shit going on, notice little details and make in the moment decisions about the correct next steps.   It’s very similar to BasketBall IQ or Water Polo IQ or what a QB must do on a football field.   

As the dumb jock stereotype will highlight, none of that has anything to do with book smart.   Mandating a 4 year degree could well filter out your best people.   For other specialties like being a detective, school might well come into play but for a street cop I want the drop out high school quarterback over the straight A student.   

28 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Fire all the white supremacists

You say that tongue in cheek but I wonder when people like @Bob and @soupslam1 ,one of which said he has a mixed race child, are going to acknowledge that white supremacists told their members to go into law enforcement.   It’s a real problem we keep sweeping under the rug.  

16 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I think the answer might be more along the lines of how we can help them do a job that no one on this board is doing.

Stop backing criminals who have outstanding warrants and are armed.

Stop backing parents who let a 13 year old out on the streets at 2:30am with an adult who's armed.

Stop backing crying parents whos 16 year old daughter was about to murder another child. 

Start holding police officers accountable for egregious actions...prosecute to the full extent of the law.

This is a two way street but for some damn reason it's gotten skewed. 

Accountability should go in all directions.

These aren’t all equal.  For example few are backing the parents of the 16 year old.  Even among blacks.   

The others while certainly poor parenting are greyer areas where the cops ideally should be more perceptive and make better decisions.  And yes that means better screening for the right kinds of IQ and more training.   

Thank god I didn’t get into policing or I could have been the cop that shot the 13 year old.   Not because I’m a racist but just because I didn’t see and process vital clues in the split second in which it had to occur.   

26 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

You say that tongue in cheek but I wonder when people like @Bob and @soupslam1 ,one of which said he has a mixed race child, are going to acknowledge that white supremacists told their members to go into law enforcement.   It’s a real problem we keep sweeping under the rug.  

First, what does having a mixed race kid have any bearing on this discussion? Second, if white suoremacists are getting hired PDs are doing a damn poor job of screening candidates. 

33 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Not tongue in cheek at all. There are obviously a significant number of white supremacists in law enforcement. They need to be eradicated, and even if that happens, no one should be celebrating because it will have been way too late.

Id go so far as to say PDs should hire POC exclusively from now on. White people can still be firefighters. We’re more outdoorsy anyway. 

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

First, what does having a mixed race kid have any bearing on this discussion? Second, if white suoremacists are getting hired PDs are doing a damn poor job of screening candidates. 

Because it’s a real threat to your damn child!  And yes in some cases they are. 

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Not tongue in cheek at all. There are obviously a significant number of white supremacists in law enforcement. They need to be eradicated, and even if that happens, no one should be celebrating because it will have been way too late.

Id go so far as to say PDs should hire POC exclusively from now on. White people can still be firefighters. We’re more outdoorsy anyway. 

Significant is likely an overstatement.  

21 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Significant is likely an overstatement.  

I don’t think I’m wrong calling it a pervasive problem. We don’t have any data because PDs keep the lid on it. Makes you wonder why they’d protect people like that...