Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WYO1016

NCAA Considering CFP Expansion

3 hours ago, King Spartan said:

I think winning your conference is plenty of reason.

It’ll never happen because there’s no money in shitty blow out games. You have to legitimately be good enough to stand up to at least some of the 15 other schools to deserve to be there.  That’s what viewers want, and that’s what they’ll get if it brings in the most dough. This isn’t an NCAA BB Tourney where there’s nearly 70 spots, and you can’t afford to give out charity spots like that. The whole point of a 16 team playoff is to identify the truly best 16 schools and determine a champion from it. 

I just looked up the 2019 MAC results, and you had two teams that won their division that finished 8-6 and played for the title. The Miami Redkawks beat C. MI. So an 8-6 Miami MAC team that during the regular season was obliterated at #6 Ohio St. 76-5 should get an auto playoff spot? That would make a complete mockery of the playoff, and rightfully so. 

kat.jpg

the 'power' programs want to maintain their stranglehold on the $$$ and exposure so I bet they expand to 6 under the auspices of the NCAA wishing to limit the number of games played 'for the kids'

that way they get to keep the mini playoff country club and act like they threw us some major bone.

that's the cynic in me

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 4/27/2021 at 12:29 PM, NorCalCoug said:

Oh, and yes...  BSU, SDSU, and CSU can come too.  The MWC just got WAC’d.  I always get a chuckle out of the inflated view some have of this conference.

What's with this boards continued insistence that CSU will be invited to another Conference ?

Let's get real and get serious here.

What makes you think SDSU would want to be in an Easy Coast FB conference ?  10a.m. kicks for Roadies and 4 pm home starts would kill attendance. They learned their lesson last go around. They should be grateful to be back in the MW.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 4/23/2021 at 12:42 PM, Joe from WY said:

Amazing, the effervescent effect of increased money is.

Actually if the don’t change it the sport will be dead except in the southeast.  College footballs structure is damaging the sport like baseball has been damaged.  

On 4/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, Headbutt said:

True.  Exactly why the P5 would prefer to leave a bunch of cash on the table as opposed to letting the G5 get any of it.

Not so sure.  From some of the quotes people get that college football is losing interest in vast swaths of the country.   

On 4/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, Headbutt said:

True.  Exactly why the P5 would prefer to leave a bunch of cash on the table as opposed to letting the G5 get any of it.

Sad but true

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 4/29/2021 at 10:01 PM, Nevada Convert said:

It’ll never happen because there’s no money in shitty blow out games. You have to legitimately be good enough to stand up to at least some of the 15 other schools to deserve to be there.  That’s what viewers want, and that’s what they’ll get if it brings in the most dough. This isn’t an NCAA BB Tourney where there’s nearly 70 spots, and you can’t afford to give out charity spots like that. The whole point of a 16 team playoff is to identify the truly best 16 schools and determine a champion from it. 

I just looked up the 2019 MAC results, and you had two teams that won their division that finished 8-6 and played for the title. The Miami Redkawks beat C. MI. So an 8-6 Miami MAC team that during the regular season was obliterated at #6 Ohio St. 76-5 should get an auto playoff spot? That would make a complete mockery of the playoff, and rightfully so. 

Nah, let all the conference champs in. The invitational nature of the CFP sucks ass, I want every school in a conference to have a guaranteed path to the playoff. 

On 4/30/2021 at 8:29 AM, UofMTigers said:

the 'power' programs want to maintain their stranglehold on the $$$ and exposure so I bet they expand to 6 under the auspices of the NCAA wishing to limit the number of games played 'for the kids'

that way they get to keep the mini playoff country club and act like they threw us some major bone.

that's the cynic in me

Six might be ok if it was the P5 conference winners + best G5 conference winner ( could go straight up 6 highest rated conference winners or a playin for the last spot ). If it were just conference winners,  schools might be more willing to play big OOC games.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Nah, let all the conference champs in. The invitational nature of the CFP sucks ass, I want every school in a conference to have a guaranteed path to the playoff. 

And the independents!  The independents should have an automatic bid, too!

1 hour ago, Mano said:

Six might be ok if it was the P5 conference winners + best G5 conference winner ( could go straight up 6 highest rated conference winners or a playin for the last spot ). If it were just conference winners,  schools might be more willing to play big OOC games.

I think at-large bids make big OOC games more likely.

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

I think at-large bids make big OOC games more likely.

If it is just conference champs, losing an OOC game doesn't effect chances at getting in playoffs,  and can help programs identify where they need to improve for conference season.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

1 minute ago, Mano said:

If it is just conference champs, losing an OOC game doesn't effect chances at getting in playoffs,  and can help programs identify where they need to improve for conference season.

Sure, but if there are also at-large bids, then - just in case you don't win your conference - you want to improve your strength of schedule so that your team gets selected.

31 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Sure, but if there are also at-large bids, then - just in case you don't win your conference - you want to improve your strength of schedule so that your team gets selected.

Downside of taking a loss worse than upside of a win. If a team like Clemson or Alabama think they will take at most one loss in conference and can still get to playoff,  they won't risk OOC game that is a potential loss. If the only way they get in is by winning conference,  not much of a downside to playing big OOC game.

I'm a desperate man
The shit has hit the fan

On 4/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, Headbutt said:

This is the height of cynicism and not at all reflective of the reality I’ve seen reported so far.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

I just got out of a meeting with UCF bigwigs and playoff/realignment was discussed for the first time in over a year.  Basically, the process is further along than what’s being reported.  Tidbits that haven’t been reported yet:  

whatever the change is will be unanimous amongst all 10 conferences and ND.

currently the sec is the only conference that wants it to stay as is.

The aac is preparing for an 8 team playoff beginning in three seasons that will have the a5 and top g5 and one at large.  If it goes to 12 or 16 teams there will be no auto bids except for the top 6 so a true playoff is not on the table (all conf champs).  

There will be realignment by then.  Expect ESPN and the major bowls to void the remaining years on current contract and begin renegotiating their respective deals soon (timeline uncertain).  Big wigs are confident that UCF will be one of the schools to get the call but the important thing is that it’s happening period.  ESPN is leading the charge and is already laying the groundwork as it relates to reworking it’s current deals. 

There wasn’t a lot of respect for the g5 representative on the committee in the meeting, which is the MW commish.  He was referred to as ‘Smee’ which I thought was funny.  

There will be no reduction in the reg season schedule (12 games), though early round playoff games would be likely be in a home stadium.

Expect official notifications to come late June when the votes from the early June meeting are released. 

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I just got out of a meeting with UCF bigwigs and playoff/realignment was discussed for the first time in over a year.  Basically, the process is further along than what’s being reported.  Tidbits that haven’t been reported yet:  

whatever the change is will be unanimous amongst all 10 conferences and ND.

currently the sec is the only conference that wants it to stay as is.

The aac is preparing for an 8 team playoff beginning in three seasons that will have the a5 and top g5 and one at large.  If it goes to 12 or 16 teams there will be no auto bids except for the top 6 so a true playoff is not on the table (all conf champs).  

There will be realignment by then.  Expect ESPN and the major bowls to void the remaining years on current contract and begin renegotiating their respective deals soon (timeline uncertain).  Big wigs are confident that UCF will be one of the schools to get the call but the important thing is that it’s happening period.  ESPN is leading the charge and is already laying the groundwork as it relates to reworking it’s current deals. 

There wasn’t a lot of respect for the g5 representative on the committee in the meeting, which is the MW commish.  He was referred to as ‘Smee’ which I thought was funny.  

There will be no reduction in the reg season schedule (12 games), though early round playoff games would be likely be in a home stadium.

Expect official notifications to come late June when the votes from the early June meeting are released. 

Either your “source” is crap or you took bad notes as your number equals 7.