Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King Spartan

Euro Soccer Superleague Falls Apart; A Lesson for American College Football

I really do think that if the big boys break away in college football they would have a limited audience. What would be the motivation for fans of other schools to watch? To watch the best players? That's what the NFL is for.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

On 4/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, King Spartan said:

I really do think that if the big boys break away in college football they would have a limited audience. What would be the motivation for fans of other schools to watch? To watch the best players? That's what the NFL is for.

I’m not sure the comparison is really accurate. In England the fans of the breakaway teams are protesting against the move outside the stadiums and demanding the American owners sell the teams. I can’t see the same level of opposition here. Can you imagine Ohio State or Alabama fans protesting a breakaway from the NCAA? I can’t. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

No, but I do think the common thread is that both examples heavily rely on region. Fans can travel for the most part to away games and they probably work with fans/alumni at other schools in conference. Attendance and viewership would drop because you lose the regional interest.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

58 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

No, but I do think the common thread is that both examples heavily rely on region. Fans can travel for the most part to away games and they probably work with fans/alumni at other schools in conference. Attendance and viewership would drop because you lose the regional interest.

There's no common thread.  An ESL is not regional anymore than the UCL is.  The English fans werent protesting because they prefer playing West Brom to Juventus - if the ESL folks had gotten their way they would continue playing both.  And its notable, though, that there was little protest from fans in Spain and Italy.  Because the fans of those clubs have less of a romantic view of sport...and those clubs are financially trailing the English ones.  The Spanish clubs, as big as they are, have spent themselves into a hole the ESL would have gotten them out of.  Few dispute that the ESL would have been a financial success for those clubs.

And a P5 breakaway would still be regional anyways because the constituent conferences are.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

18 minutes ago, RSF said:

There's no common thread.  An ESL is not regional anymore than the UCL is.  The English fans werent protesting because they prefer playing West Brom to Juventus - if the ESL folks had gotten their way they would continue playing both.  And its notable, though, that there was little protest from fans in Spain and Italy.

And a P5 breakaway would still be regional anyways because the constituent conferences are.

I don't think there will be a "P5" breakaway.  I think the biggest schools in the P5 will break away from the ones who bring nothing to the table, like TCU.  Why would the Longhorns want to share the money they bring in with the Horned Frogs?  We still have your seat warm over here, though.

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I don't think there will be a "P5" breakaway.  I think the biggest schools in the P5 will break away from the ones who bring nothing to the table, like TCU.  Why would the Longhorns want to share the money they bring in with the Horned Frogs?  We still have your seat warm over here, though.

I dont happen to think there will be a breakaway either.  But if TCU brought nothing to the table, we'd still be slumming it with y'all.

Nice try though.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

American college football?  

Many college teams around the world play association football 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

If there were a breakaway of that sort in CFB, they would face a few serious obstacles.  Right now, alma mater matters, that would change.  Not only would alumni be less engaged, but a legit pay for play league would face a different an entirely different financial situation.  No more tax breaks and a likely less interested TV audience.