Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

Covid vaccine hesitancy. A map of the US by county

21 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I'm not sure how to reconcile this with this article. According to the Navajo Times, the tribe is vaccinating at a very high rate compared to the rest of the country and is running out of vaccines.

https://navajotimes.com/reznews/navajo-leads-the-country-in-vaccine-rollout-heres-what-went-right/

I was thinking the same thing. I remember lots of press at how high the vax rate was on the Navajo Rez. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the poll data.

13 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Well, to be clear, I haven't posited any "theories" about Blacks and Hispanics not getting the vaccine.  I shared actual data saying that.  We need President Biden to try and pursuade folks to be vaccinated...

Regarding that map, it's cool, but reminds me of an election map.  Not many people live in rural areas, they live in big cities.  So 10% hesitancy in Los Angeles can be a huge number of people, compared to 50% hesitancy in Burley Idaho or somewhere.

You shared data and opined that it was either because they (Blacks, Hispanics, and I believe rural Idahoans) were vax hesitant or lazy.

And I am pretty surprised at the hesitancy here in Clark County. For a service oriented and retirement town, I expected more to want to be vaxxed. But as discussed above, I am not sure these numbers correspond to vax rates. It is almost like people are saying they don't want to get the vaccine and are still getting it.

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

You shared data and opined that it was either because they (Blacks, Hispanics, and I believe rural Idahoans) were vax hesitant or lazy.

And I am pretty surprised at the hesitancy here in Clark County. For a service oriented and retirement town, I expected more to want to be vaxxed. But as discussed above, I am not sure these numbers correspond to vax rates. It is almost like people are saying they don't want to get the vaccine and are still getting it.

That's true.

At this point, people are not getting vaccinated because they are either anti-vaxxer or lazy.

The vaccine is much more available now.

25 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I was thinking the same thing. I remember lots of press at how high the vax rate was on the Navajo Rez. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the poll data.

I find the same thing in my practice. The older Navajos are generally terrified of Covid because of the toll it's taken on them as they have a terrible diabetes/alcohol abuse related health problems. It's an amazing rate of vaccination if you know the Rez when large portions of the population have no phone, internet or running water. Imagine virtual school without internet. They have federally sponsored internet access at the schools with limited range and metered. Of course most of the data usage goes to Netflix and Youtube. Usually the tribal government runs like a banana republic so kudos to them in this instance.

7 hours ago, CPslograd said:

They just opened it up for me here today, I got my first Phizer shot.  I could have jumped the line, because my youngest is special needs and my wife requested it, so the State sent us a letter.  But I didn't want to jump the line, so I just registered and waited for them to email me.  How the hell did your 31 year old son get both shots already?  My county has a lot higher metrics than Frisco.

There are places in the valley like my county where vax clinics have been opening up appointments to all over 16 for at least a month. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

8 hours ago, CPslograd said:

How the hell did your 31 year old son get both shots already?  

I have a 31-year-old son who got his covid vaccine very early. He does maintenance inside a hospital, and that hospital early on offered it to outside contractors who needed to go into the hospital on a regular basis.

110926run_defense710.jpg

10 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

...........at this point, my hope is that if the Covid continues & evolves into a stronger even more lethal strain.......that those who did get vaccinated have some protection against the stronger strains & if the stronger strains kill off those who didn't vaccinate, oh well .......coulda, shoulda got the jab..........might clean out quite a few low IQ dumbass right wingers who can get their meeting with Jesus sooner than later :hahaha:

Adios MF'ers :cheers: 

This is one of the worst posts I have seen from you and on this forum.  Ignorant dumbassery on your part.  As has been mentioned often, vaccine hesitancy is pretty broad and ethnicity seems to be a significant driver.  I finally got back to the gym this week. As I was getting dressed to leave, a guy commented on a vaccine sticker on a locker. I could tell he was against it, all I said was I got the two Pfizer shots, and it was nothing burger, minor soreness the rest of the day. I don't think politics and hatred is going to motivate people to get vaccinated.

110926run_defense710.jpg

15 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

OC is 67% over 65 vaccinated according to NYT (and 27% all residents compared to SD’s 19%).

Maybe San Diego’s data is behind or something because it really does seem to be an outlier for some reason?

Not sure where those numbers are coming from? Because they're completely inaccurate. Here's the county's tax report, updated daily -> Link

As per the above, , 87.7%% of San Diegans between 70-79 are fully vaccinated and 72.7% between 60-69 are. As you'll see on the chart (updated yesterday), the numbers are similar to the 80+ demographic as well.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

13 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Not sure where those numbers are coming from? Because they're completely inaccurate. Here's the county's tax report, updated daily -> Link

As per the above, , 87.7%% of San Diegans between 70-79 are fully vaccinated and 72.7% between 60-69 are. As you'll see on the chart (updated yesterday), the numbers are similar to the 80+ demographic as well.

I guess Donald was right?!? Appears the New York Times IS fake news on this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

This is one of the worst posts I have seen from you and on this forum.  Ignorant dumbassery on your part.  As has been mentioned often, vaccine hesitancy is pretty broad and ethnicity seems to be a significant driver.  I finally got back to the gym this week. As I was getting dressed to leave, a guy commented on a vaccine sticker on a locker. I could tell he was against it, all I said was I got the two Pfizer shots, and it was nothing burger, minor soreness the rest of the day. I don't think politics and hatred is going to motivate people to get vaccinated.

If people want to run the risk, then that's on them - If this covid does blow up those without vaccines will most likely be the vehicle for a stronger version of Covid to evolve...........that's simple reality :shrug:

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

If people want to run the risk, then that's on them - If this covid does blow up those without vaccines will most likely be the vehicle for a stronger version of Covid to evolve...........that's simple reality :shrug:

I agree with that, but it's despicable to "hope" people die. Do the right thing and retract.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 minute ago, modestobulldog said:

I agree with that, but it's despicable to "hope" people die. Do the right thing and retract.

Harsh ? Yes

Reality? Entirely possible - Not going to feel sorry for those who could have taken a simple step but for whatever reason opted to run the risk - Like our gun issue threads, the known rule is never look down the barrel of a gun but inevitably some dummy does exactly that & pays the price 

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Harsh ? Yes

Reality? Entirely possible - Not going to feel sorry for those who could have taken a simple step but for whatever reason opted to run the risk - Like our gun issue threads, the known rule is never look down the barrel of a gun but inevitably some dummy does exactly that & pays the price 

B*******. I don't have a problem with your last two posts.  This board has been near universal and condemnation of assholes who wish people dead. I'm calling you out on your "hope" that certain people die. Retract if you have any integrity whatsoever. The politics and science is irrelevant to what I'm calling you out for.

110926run_defense710.jpg

17 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

B*******. I don't have a problem with your last two posts.  This board has been near universal and condemnation of assholes who wish people dead. I'm calling you out on your "hope" that certain people die. Retract if you have any integrity whatsoever. The politics and science is irrelevant to what I'm calling you out for.

Go look at the "Today's mass shooting...." threads where I expressed concern for the victims but some people questioned why I cared about people I didn't even know - The difference in these two situations is death wasn't self inflicted on the shooting victims, where if the anti-vaccers die, that's their own doing - Difference is quite obvious 

As for those who are avoiding vaccines for political reasons, that again is on them & their own dumbassery - The right wingers who've bought the lies & bull crap from their beloved media couldn't be convinced of facts & reality even when faced with the worst - My sympathy & empathy for these morons has reached its end ..........Hannity, Carlson & OANN say not to risk the vaccine, & they follow suite, then get covid & it goes bad............F'ing shame & but can't cure stupid ;) 

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I guess Donald was right?!? Appears the New York Times IS fake news on this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/covid-19-vaccine-doses.html

I'm guessing that as their source is the CDC, it's a simple data latency issue. :shrug: 

Either way, it doesn't reflect the numbers reported by the county.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

21 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Here is a direct link to the CDC map: https://data.cdc.gov/stories/s/Vaccine-Hesitancy-for-COVID-19/cnd2-a6zw

@#1Stunner how does this compare to your theory that Blacks and Hispanics have a greater vaccine hesitancy? Affirm or no?

Quality map. Thanks.

It's understandable to me that people in sparsely populated places wouldn't see much need to get vaccinated. As an example, the L.A. Times had an article a couple weeks ago which identified two California counties up near the Oregon border which have each had just one reported Covid death. Granted those counties only have about 100K people but a mere one death would be a vaccination disincentive to me if I lived up there.

And how 'bout THE OC? I can only think of one reason Orange county's rate is as low as SF's and it would be the relatively great percentage of evangelicals there. Undoubtedly higher percentage than any of the other 57 California counties. Likely combination of faith that God will protect them and belief that the government has been placing microscopic transmitters in the vaccine.